Before I pull the trigger on a new scope

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dick_in_mi

I'm about to order an 8" Orion dob. however, just want to be sure of one thing.....<br /><br />It seems like there is an upgrade path to astrophotography (if I ever decide that I want to do that) by buying the Atlas equatorial mount and popping the 8" tube on that. Of course, then I'd need the appropriate items to mount the camera, but that aside, am I correct in my assumption?<br /><br />And if so, would a Skyview mount work as well if I chose to de-Dob my scope down the road?<br /><br />And finally, might it be worth considering the Skyview Pro 8 EQ and going with that mount instead of the Dob right from the start?

B

bbrock

Pull the Trigger!<br /><br />I'm not sure the SkyView Mount will hold the load of the 8" Reflector. However, the Atlas will more then handle the load. The other reason is that the Basic Atlas can be further upgraded to full Go-To at a fraction of the cost of other Go-To Mounts of this weight class. In addition, the Atlas Go-To is compatible with Starry Nigfht Pro and Maxim DL and MaxPoint. A very formidable combination in Astrophotography, Astrometry and Photometry. However, the learning curve for all of this will keep you occupied for the next ten years. <br /><br />The SkyView Mount has Intelliscope capability, but not Go-To Capability.. At least not for now. <br /><br />Fire away Pilgrim. <br /><br />Bill

D

dick_in_mi

Thanks Bill.<br /><br />Actually, I'm guessing that the Skyview mount must be able to handle the 8" tube because that's what the Pro 8 EQ reflector comes mounted on. Now whether that mount would ultimately be beefy enough for photography is another matter.<br /><br />Given that astrophotography is unlikely (but leaving the door open via the Atlas mount if I so choose), I'm thinking that I'll just get the Dob....maybe an Intelliscope but w/out the computer (again, leaving the door open to get the computer later if I feel I need one).<br /><br /><br /><br />Dick<br />

N

nevers

2 cents worth - I've not seen one but I've not heard good things about the SkyView Mount.

D

dick_in_mi

Thanks to all for your input. Last night I was going over it with my wife and she's advocating for a Celestron NexStar 8i SE.<br /><br />So now I'm giving that serious consideration and it's back to the drawing board.

D

dick_in_mi

Quick question, Eddie....wouldn't I be able to add a wedge to the 8i for photgraphy? Or would I be better off also considering the C8-S-GT, which has an equatorial mount?

D

dick_in_mi

The CPC looks quite nice and is just at the upper level of my price range. I'd still need a wedge to do longer exposure photography, correct?<br /><br />Right now, the photo option would be very much down the road as my primary interest in the scope is merely for viewing (although doing some lunar and planetary photography with one of the reasonably-priced CCD's out there would likely come before trying DSO's. And it's my understanding that the stock CPC 800 could accomodate this quite nicely?).<br /><br />Thanks again for your comments.

D

dick_in_mi

Thanks again Eddie. I'm leaning strongly towards the Celestron CPC 800 XLT at this point. I've had a suggestion to consider a Meade in the same price range, but I've heard quite a few unfavorable things about Meade's customer service, so I'm a bit hestitant to go there.<br /><br />Anyway, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.