Comments on the Movie: The Fourth Kind

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FlatEarth

Hello everyone. I just got back from seeing The Fourth Kind, and I highly recommend it to those who have any interest in the subject. My initial reaction as I left the theatre is that it will stay with me for a while, and deserves further consideration- always an indication that a movie was worth seeing. It was done as a semi-documentary, to remind the viewer that this was based on actual events, but was also dramatized to keep it entertaining and suspenseful. I can’t say I recall any other abduction movies done in this manner. It worked. It certainly didn’t hurt to have Milla Jovovich play the lead role. ;)

I’d like to hear what you think of the movie, as well as what you may know about the cases that inspired it.

J

jim48

I posted this in the original Fourth Kind thread:

Bumping this thread up because the movie The Fourth Kind opened today and got a scathing review from the Orlando Sentinel: "I am actress Mill Jovovich," the star says directly to the audience as she introduces her new movie, The Fourth Kind. And those are pretty much the last true words out of her mouth in this gimmicky, "Yes, this really happened" alien-abduction horror hooey, wrote film critic Roger Moore. To be fair I've only seen one newspaper today so why don't the rest of you good folks help out? Any good reviews? Have you seen the movie?

E

Erevna

It was a well done "Blair Witch Project" style movie. The producer created the perfect deception! Mix in truth with fiction and you'll have the audience guessing. However, this is just a movie. The "real" police videos are obviously fake since there are no mountains or forest/tall trees in Nome.

B

brandbll

jim48":1s1d9wlq said:
I posted this in the original Fourth Kind thread:

Bumping this thread up because the movie The Fourth Kind opened today and got a scathing review from the Orlando Sentinel: "I am actress Mill Jovovich," the star says directly to the audience as she introduces her new movie, The Fourth Kind. And those are pretty much the last true words out of her mouth in this gimmicky, "Yes, this really happened" alien-abduction horror hooey, wrote film critic Roger Moore. To be fair I've only seen one newspaper today so why don't the rest of you good folks help out? Any good reviews? Have you seen the movie?

It got a 15% on Rottentomatoes.com, which is not very good, not very good at all.

Here's a few reviews from there Jim:

http://www.7mpictures.com/inside/review ... review.htm

http://www.film-finder.com/movies/the_f ... ay=treview

http://www.weekinrewind.com/2009/11/fou ... -2009.html

One of the guys recommends Fire in The Sky as a good alien abduction movie. I know i saw that moview about 10 years or so ago and i thought it was a freaky movie.

F

FlatEarth

brandbll":3kppiug2 said:
It got a 15% on Rottentomatoes.com, which is not very good, not very good at all.

Here's a few reviews from there Jim:

http://www.7mpictures.com/inside/review ... review.htm

http://www.film-finder.com/movies/the_f ... ay=treview

http://www.weekinrewind.com/2009/11/fou ... -2009.html

One of the guys recommends Fire in The Sky as a good alien abduction movie. I know i saw that movie about 10 years or so ago and i thought it was a freaky movie.
I typically seek out opinions from movie goers rather than those making a living critiquing movies. The reason is simple. People paying to see a film will not use the subject matter to downgrade the movie, as I think happens when the pros do the rating. And when the film makers make promises they don't keep, the critics will pounce. More on that later.

Here's a site with both media reviews and movie goer reviews. Only two out of three movie goers appeared to be regular viewers, and they both gave it a 10 out of 10.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/f ... ercomments

Do I think it's a 10? No. Do I think it's a legit docudrama based largely on facts? No. The "actual footage" tapes clearly are not, and there's not much info to be found about the case to give it credibility. But I do think it's worth seeing if you like the subject matter. I found it entertaining, and after all, that's the reason we go to the movies, isn't it?

N

nimbus

That doesn't sound promising. The kind of standard that makes mediocre efforts like (recent example) Defying Gravity possible.
I was also going to recommend Fire in the Sky if you're looking for this kind of flick, and hadn't seen it yet.

J

jim48

Here's what I wrote about Travis Walton (Fire in the Sky) in James Lynch's UFO America!:

And then there was Travis Walton. Jesus. You can go through sixty years’ worth of UFO accounts and analyze them one by one. Patterns quickly emerge, which isn’t necessarily a good thing. On the other hand it’s next to impossible to examine each case in a vacuum, any more than one can look at UFOs over the years without taking into account the nation’s zeitgeist, or what was making us tick at the time, which hopefully this tome has done. UFO or “flying saucer” reports of the late forties were of strange things in the sky. That continued throughout the fifties, augmented—unfortunately—by the contactees. The sixties saw the continuation of “conventional” UFO reports and the demise of the contactees. With the exception of Betty and Barney Hill’s interrupted journey in 1961, it was pretty much business as usual. The early seventies saw an upswing in UFO sightings and renewed public interest, despite the Condon Committee’s report and the Air Force dropping off the scene. The Pascagula incident received far more coverage than it would have in a previous decade thanks to television, and in 1975 another UFO close encounter would draw even more media attention. Coming just two years after Charles Hickson’s and Calvin Parker’s alleged abduction by aliens, it would reinforce the archetype of people being snatched by aliens while in a remote location at night and pave the way—in my humble opinion, at least—for the archetype of people being snatched from the comfort of their homes by—presumably—those same pesky aliens. It was slow to happen, but ufology was definitely getting weirder, on the one hand following a seemingly logical progression—an alien agenda?--while at the same time straining believability and the bullshit meter even further, which was one of the reasons I bailed from the field, not to return for some time.
On the night of November 5, 1975, a crew of seven forest workers had finished their jobs, piled into a truck and were heading back to the small town of Snowflake, Arizona. While bumping along a rough road, two of the men said they saw a UFO hovering over the woods. Travis Walton, 22, jumped out of the still moving truck to investigate. As the truck drew to a stop, the men saw a blue-green flash, which knocked Walton off his feet. They panicked and took off, leaving Walton behind. They didn’t get far, however, for they realized that they simply could not ditch their friend behind. As they turned to head back, they saw a streak of light in the sky which they assumed was the UFO leaving. When they returned to the scene, Walton was nowhere to be found.
After a fruitless search, the men, led by Michael Rogers, a Forest Service contractor, contacted the sheriff’s office. Three deputies joined Rogers and some of the other men in the search for Walton. They gave up around midnight. Rogers and another man went to Walton’s home to inform his mother that Travis had gone missing and how. She seemed to take the news of her son’s possible alien abduction calmly.
For the next five days the search expanded and intensified, but there was still no trace of Walton. The story went out on the AP wire and soon NICAP, APRO and MUFON had field investigators on the scene. Reporters from The National Enquirer were there as well. As far as law enforcement was concerned, however, the case was less about flying saucers than a missing person’s, and they could not rule out foul play. Michael Rogers and five of the forestry crew were given polygraph examinations by the Arizona Department of Public Safety The conclusion: “These polygraph examinations proved• that these five men did see some object that they believe to be a UFO and that Travis Walton was not injured or murdered by any of these men. If an actual UFO did not exist and the UFO was a manmade hoax, five of these men had no prior knowledge of a hoax. No such determination can be made of the sixth man whose test results were inconclusive.”
Shortly after midnight on November 11, Walton’s brother-in-law got a phone call. It was Travis. He was at a gas station in Heber, Arizona. Could someone come pick him up? Two family members went to get him. They found him crumpled inside of a phone booth, haggard, confused and “out of it”. Within twenty-four hours he was hidden away at a local Sheraton Inn. Coral and Jim Lorenzen came knocking, but the National Enquirer knocked harder, offering an initial cash down-payment for Walton’s story and more if he could pass a polygraph. One of the Enquirer reporters described young Walton as looking pale, “…twitching like a cornered animal.”
Pretty good story so far, huh? It gets better, for now here is Walton’s amazing story.
The bright, bluish-green flash his co-workers had seen was in fact some sort of a ray gun that had knocked him out. When he awoke he was aboard an alien ship and then transferred to a larger mother ship. He was surrounded by weird looking aliens who had big heads, and big black almond-shaped eyes. He described them as “fetus-like”. Taking a cue from good ol’ Sonny Desvergers, he engaged them in hand-to-hand combat and managed to get to the controls of the ship. While he was trying to figure out how to fly the damn thing, a tall man with long blond hair, wearing a spacesuit—replete with fifties sci-fi movie style fishbowl helmet—appeared and calmly took Walton out of the saucer. Walton saw that he was now inside of a huge hangar, filled with flying saucers. He was then taken into a room where a couple of other modern day Space Brothers and a Space Sister—all blond—were waiting. They were not wearing helmets. Per the standard drill, Walton was required to lie on a table and be examined. The last thing he remembered was a tube being stuck into him. When he awoke he was lying in the middle of a highway and the flying saucer was zooming off into the night. He stumbled to a payphone, were he called his brother-in-law. It was then that he learned that he had been gone for five days.
Personally, I like good ol’ Antny Villas-Boas’ story better, if only because he got well-laid by Barking Girl.

NICAP and MUFON had serious reservations about Walton’s story, but the Lorenzens and The National Enquirer plunged ahead. On November 15, Walton took a polygraph exam. It was administered by John J. McCarthy. He was the senior examiner in Arizona with twenty years’ of experience. He listened to audiotapes of Walton’s account, then interviewed Walton before beginning the examination. It was then that he learned that Walton had a history of petty crimes and drug use. The examination itself lasted almost four hours, during which Walton tried some tricks such as holding his breath and tapping his foot when asked about his abduction. The next day McCarthy issued his evaluation, citing Walton for “gross deception”. “Based on his reactions on all charts, it is the opinion of this examiner that Walton, in concert with others, is attempting to perpetrate a UFO hoax, and that he has not been on any spacecraft.”
Hoping to bolster Walton’s case, APRO brought in a psychiatrist and a psychoanalyst to evaluate Walton. Their plan backfired. Dr. Jean Rosenbaum said that Walton’s story was “all in his own mind. I feel that he suffered from a combination of imagination and amnesia, a transitory psychosis—that he did not(italics) go on a UFO, but simply was wandering around during the period of his disappearance.”
Despite this, Allen Hynek weighed in on Walton’s side. “Walton’s story seems more consistent than that of his detractors,” he said. That surprised the hell out of a lot of us back then, because we sure weren’t buying Walton’s story. We weren’t interested in polygraph results one way or the other. What bothered us was that we had heard the story before, the guy had a criminal record and he was trying to get money from The National Enquirer. Hynek’s Center for UFO Studies would continue to do good work in the field, but Hynek’s reputation took a blow as a result of his endorsement of Walton, particularly when it came out that Walton and other family members had long been interested in UFOs, had seen UFOs previously, had watched The UFO Incident on NBC a few weeks before with aliens identical—save for the blonds—to those Walton described and that Walton and his older brother Duane had formed a “pact”, according to Duane Walton. The plan was that if either of them ever saw a UFO up close they would approach it immediately and try to get on board! Back in 1975, even we hard core saucer believers were inclined to dismiss Walton’s story, if only because we were all too well aware of good ol’ Sonny Desvergers self-inflating UFO account, but at least Sonny had some incredible evidence to back him up. Walton had nothing. We could have gone down the street to the locally headquartered Enquirer and told a similar story, they probably would have run it and we knew that, for again, LIFE and LOOK magazines were gone, no other major national magazine was running UFO stories anymore so that left the tabloids.
In July of 1976 the National Enquirer’s Best UFO Case of the Year—1975—determined by its Blue Ribbon panel of experts, went to Travis Walton, who split the $5,000 prize with his buddies. A few years later Walton would write his own book about the incident, and in 1993 the movie Fire in the Sky, based on Walton’s account was released. Fire in the Sky is worth watching for James Garner’s portrayal of a sheriff who doesn’t buy the story for one minute. By then not even The National Enquirer was doing much with UFO stories anymore, save for the work of Bob Pratt, who was genuinely interested in the subject and traveled the world in search of good saucer stories. His wife confirmed this when he passed in 2005, although she admitted that she was never interested in UFOs.
Sorry, Travis. I didn’t buy your story more than thirty years ago and I’m still not buying it today. Others may disagree, but I’ll stick up for Antny’ Villas-Boas and good ol’ Sonny Desvergers first, incredible as that may seem. I could have concocted a similar story with my friends and become nationally famous, given our knowledge of UFO stories, but we didn’t.

F

FlatEarth

jim48":2mli4iqs said:
Here's what I wrote about Travis Walton (Fire in the Sky) in James Lynch's UFO America!:

Thanks for the info on the Travis Walton case. I like your writing style. You're gonna make me buy the book, aren't you? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts