Did our section of universe exist 13 billion years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newtonian

Did our portion of space-time exist 13 billion years ago?<br /><br />Are all galaxies which are 13 billion years old also at least 13 billion light years away?<br /><br />I mean, is it impossible for a 13 billion year old galaxy to be within our section of the universe which may be gravitationally bound to a great attractor (the Virgo supercluster?)<br /><br />If it is impossible, why? Could it be because our portion of space-time did not exist yet?

A

a_lost_packet_

<font color="yellow">Newtonian - Did our portion of space-time exist 13 billion years ago? <br /><br />Are all galaxies which are 13 billion years old also at least 13 billion light years away? <br /><br />I mean, is it impossible for a 13 billion year old galaxy to be within our section of the universe which may be gravitationally bound to a great attractor (the Virgo supercluster?) <br /><br />If it is impossible, why? Could it be because our portion of space-time did not exist yet? </font><br /><br />It's not impossible. As a matter of fact, the Milky Way Galaxy is on par with the oldest galaxies in the Universe at about 13+ billions of years old. It began it's formation as soon as matter began to condense.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

N

newtonian

a_lost_packet_ - Yes, I see my error.<br /><br />Astronomers are finding older galaxies further away- it is usually stated that way.<br /><br />However, they are actually simply seeing older light - i.e. as they were billions of years ago.<br /><br />In contrast, we see the local galaxies as they are more recently.<br /><br />It is the searching for older galaxies and now older stars which preceeded galaxies, at greater distances, which threw me off.<br />Opposite to my question, it is these older stars which may no longer exist!<br />

A

anigma46

Good question!!, IF YOU STAND AT THE NORTH POLE,THE FARTHEST OBSERVED OBJECT IS 15 BILLION LIGHT YEARS AWAY. i F YOU LOOK SOUTH FROM THE SOUTH POLE THE FARTHEST OBJECT IS 15 BILLION LIGHT YEARS AWAY. Deduction... earth was the center of the big bang!!!! The big bang was not a bang ,but an inflation of space from a singularity.

M

mooware

It is not likely Earth is at the center of the big bang, or expansion. <br /><br />I don't believe, at this stage of the game, that it is possible to determine the center. If a center exists at all.<br /><br />

N

newtonian

anigma46- First, the age is approximate. Astronomer Wendy Friedman estimates an age of 12 billion years for our universe.<br /><br />It is also interesting that many astronmers assume our galaxy has a radius greater than 13 billion light years, and that the initial expansion at inflation was faster than light!<br /><br />As for a center, consider this model:<br /><br />(Isaiah 40:22) There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth, the dwellers in which are as grasshoppers, the One who is stretching out the heavens just as a fine gauze, who spreads them out like a tent in which to dwell,<br /><br />In this stretching fine gauze model the fabric of space is expanding with its threads and filaments- it is similar to how astronomers illustrate the nature of our universe and how it is expanding or stretching out.<br /><br />Picture an expanding cloth with points on it. Each point will expand from each other point, and further points will expand faster. Where is the center?<br /><br />This is what is observed to be happenning on the grand scale.<br /><br />If you delve deeper into Biblical astronomy you will note that some of the bonds break while others hold fast - this is why our local section of the fabric of space is not expanding and over 1,000 galaxies are heading for the Great Attractor, more or less, including our Milky Way.<br /><br />Now, in this illustration, any point would seem like the center provided we cannot see the edge.<br /><br />And we cannot see the edge.<br /><br />The center is actually the location of the big bang, and that location is not merely distance, but actually space-time!<br /><br />BTW, this stretching fabric model is basically a flat model, some what different from the balloon model.<br />I do not know if there is a center in simple distance.<br /><br />As for an edge, note this statement:<br /><br />(Jude 13) . . .stars with no set course, for which the blackness of darkness stands reserved forever.<br /><br />Some astronomers feel that outer port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts