Doctor Who Rumormongering

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattblack

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think crazy hair and The Doctor kinda go hand in hand. <br />Posted by dragon04</DIV></p><p>Well, even David Tennant had crazy, wacky hair in his first appearance as The Doctor, but they toned that down somewhat not long after.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>To be fair, I have to note that there were "redshirt" Gallifreians portrayed, back in the late 60s onwards, who were black.&nbsp; I distinctly recollect at least one or two black Gallifreian security men in past episodes.<br />Posted by yevaud</DIV><br /><br />The first black Gallifreyan ever depicted was in the flashback scene in "The Sound of Drums" (the Season Three finale).&nbsp; He had no speaking part (there were no lines in the entire flashback).&nbsp; No other black Gallifreyan has ever been depicted.<br /><br />Actually, very few Gallifreyans of any race have been depicted on the series, and the first female Gallifreyan (apart from Susan) didn't appear until "The Invasion of Time" in the late 70s.&nbsp; I shall now have a little fun researching every Gallifreyan* who ever appeared on the series.&nbsp; ;-)&nbsp; So far, no Gallifreyan has ever changed race or gender when regenerating (though note that one of Romana's proposed forms in "Destiny of the Daleks did not appear to be human).&nbsp; Note: extras have not been counted below, but I do not recall seeing any black Gallifreyans in any of the episodes set on Gallifrey.<br /><br />*I say "Gallifreyan" because not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords.&nbsp; There is a class system on Gallifrey, and only the elites get to call themselves Time Lords.&nbsp; The title can also be renounced.<br /><br /><strong>Name&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; First Serial&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Transmission Dates&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Race/Gender</strong><br />The Doctor&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; An Unearthly Child&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 11/23/63 - 12/14/63&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Susan Foreman&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; An Unearthly Child&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 11/23/63 - 12/14/63&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Female<br />The Monk&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Time Meddler&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 7/3/65 - 7/24/65&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />War Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The War Games&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4/19/69 - 6/21/69&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />1st Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The War Games&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4/19/69 - 6/21/69&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />2nd Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The War Games&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4/19/69 - 6/21/69&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />3rd Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The War Games&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4/19/69 - 6/21/69&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />The Master&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Terror of the Autons&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/2/71 - 1/23/71&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Terror of the Autons&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/2/71 - 1/23/71&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Colony in Space&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4/10/71 - 5/15/71&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Colony in Space&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4/10/71 - 5/15/71&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Colony in Space&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4/10/71 - 5/15/71&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Omega&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Three Doctors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 12/30/72 - 1/20/73&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Invisible Male*<br />Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Three Doctors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 12/30/72 - 1/20/73&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />President&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Three Doctors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 12/30/72 - 1/20/73&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Chancellor&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Three Doctors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 12/30/72 - 1/20/73&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />K'Anpo Rinpoche&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Planet of the Spiders&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 5/4/74 - 6/8/74&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Genesis of the Daleks&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3/8/75 - 4/12/75&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Morbius&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Brain of Morbius&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/3/76 - 1/24/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Brain of a Male**<br />Borusa&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Goth&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Engin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Spandrell&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Hildred&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Gold Usher&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Runcible&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />President&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Time Lord&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Solis&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Deadly Assassin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10/30/76 - 11/20/76&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Kelner&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Andred&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Gold Usher&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Rodan&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Female<br />Lord Gomer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Lord Savar&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Bodyguard&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Guard&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Guard&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Nesbin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Ablif&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Jasko&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Presta&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Invasion of Time&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/4/78 - 3/11/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Romana&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Ribos Operation&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 9/2/78 - 9/23/78&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Female<br />Drax&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Armageddon Factor&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/20/79 - 2/24-79&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Chronotis&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Shada&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Untransmitted&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Thalia&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Arc of Infinity&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/3/83 - 1/12/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Female<br />Hedin&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Arc of Infinity&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/3/83 - 1/12/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Castellan&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Arc of Infinity&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/3/83 - 1/12/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Zorac&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Arc of Infinity&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/3/83 - 1/12/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Maxil&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Arc of Infinity&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/3/83 - 1/12/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Damon&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Arc of Infinity&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/3/83 - 1/12/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Talor&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Arc of Infinity&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1/3/83 - 1/12/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Flavia&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Five Doctors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 11/23/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Female<br />Rassilon&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Five Doctors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 11/23/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Commander&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Five Doctors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 11/23/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Technician&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Five Doctors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 11/23/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Guard&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Five Doctors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 11/23/83&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Azmael&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Twin Dilemma&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3/22/84 - 3/30/84&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />The Rani&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Mark of the Rani&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2/2/85 - 2/9/85&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Female<br />The Inquisitor&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Trial of a Time Lord9/6/86 - 12/6/86&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Female<br />The Valeyard&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Trial of a Time Lord9/6/86 - 12/6/86&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />The Keeper&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Trial of a Time Lord9/6/86 - 12/6/86&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Male<br />Jenny&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Doctor's Daughter&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 5/10/08&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; White Female<br /><br />*Omega had no visible body as a result of living in a world of antimatter (though when he did produce a body, it was that of Peter Davison in "Arc of Infinity"), but was portrayed by Stephen Thorne, a white male.&nbsp; Thorne has done quite a bit of work for Doctor Who, though his face has never been seen on the series -- he is primarly a voice actor.<br /><br />**Morbius had been executed by the Time Lords, but his brain had been saved by Doctor Solon.&nbsp; It ends up inserted into a Frankenstein's Monster type of creation assembled from various aliens and spare parts.&nbsp; He could have been any race.<br /><br />Gallifreyan extras have appeared in "The Three Doctors", "The Deadly Assassin", "The Invasion of Time", "The Arc of Infinity", "The Five Doctors", "The Trial of a Time Lord", and "The Sound of Drums".&nbsp; To the best of my recollection, all of them have been white males with the exception of the one black guy in the last one.&nbsp; However, I am perfectly willing to embark on a quest to prove this for certain by rewatching all of these stories.&nbsp; ;-) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>However, I am perfectly willing to embark on a quest to prove this for certain by rewatching all of these stories.&nbsp; ;-) </p><p><br /> Posted by <em>CalliArcale</em></DIV></p><p>Dunno, Calli.&nbsp; I swear I remember one or two from back in the Pertwee/Baker eras.&nbsp; Maybe I'm wrong.</p><p>But it <em>does</em> give you a reason to review past episodes, so it's all good!</p><p>Btw, not as extensive as yours, but I also have a collection of "Classic" Doctor Who (including the first episode ever, "An Unearthly Child").&nbsp; In fact, I just re-watched "The Five Doctors" the other day.</p><p>(I might just re-watch "The Ambassadors of Death today!) </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

D

dragon04

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Well, even David Tennant had crazy, wacky hair in his first appearance as The Doctor, but they toned that down somewhat not long after. <br /> Posted by mattblack</DIV></p><p>I also liked the way they made Tennant "the same but different". Tennan't Doctor wore Chucks (Converse tennis shoes, or some brand that looks very much like them) which were&nbsp; "out of place" compared to the clothes he wore. Tom Baker always wore that ridiculous out-of-place scarf.</p><p>I gotta dig a little. Save for maybe a dozen and a half, I've not seen any episodes prior to when Tom Baker was The Doctor. I dunno if you gotta (or can) buy the older series' in DVD or if they ever get shown somewhere on this planet. I thought Peter Cushing made an okay Doctor in the movie. I think Christopher Lee would have been better though. But he never ever plays a good guy.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I also liked the way they made Tennant "the same but different". Tennan't Doctor wore Chucks (Converse tennis shoes, or some brand that looks very much like them) which were&nbsp; "out of place" compared to the clothes he wore. Tom Baker always wore that ridiculous out-of-place scarf.I gotta dig a little. Save for maybe a dozen and a half, I've not seen any episodes prior to when Tom Baker was The Doctor. I dunno if you gotta (or can) buy the older series' in DVD or if they ever get shown somewhere on this planet. I thought Peter Cushing made an okay Doctor in the movie. I think Christopher Lee would have been better though. But he never ever plays a good guy.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by dragon04</DIV></p><p>Christopher Lee did get to voice Death in the two animated Discworld miniseries ("Wyrd Sisters" and "Soul Music").&nbsp; And Death is actually a good guy in Discworld.</p><p>You can buy every episode (except for the missing ones) on VHS, and more and more of them are coming out on DVD now.&nbsp; The DVDs are not cheap; it's generally about $25 USD for a single serial.&nbsp; But they're loaded compared to most other TV releases.&nbsp; Many are two-disc sets, and they get packed with extras.&nbsp; There's always a commentary track by several of the production crew (including cast) and an informational caption track. &nbsp; They also often get Blue Peter specials and comedy skits, as well as documentaries produced for the DVDs and sometimes even comical fan productions.&nbsp; Both "Pyramids of Mars" and "City of Death" came with hilarious original comedy sketches.&nbsp; I personally find them well worth the money, but then, I'm quite a devoted fan.&nbsp; ;-) </p><p>In the US, some PBS stations still air the old series.&nbsp; For a short while, Sci-fi did, but that was back in the very early days of the channel. </p><p>There is also the old tradition of the tape trade, and the newer tradition of the file sharing site, of course.... </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

<p>They were all excellent in their own unique ways.</p><p>Personally, my favorite is Jon Pertwee, but that's me. </p><p>So far, I have a small but good collection with William Hartnell (Doctor 1), Patrick Troughton (Doctor 2), Jon Pertwee (Doctor 3), Tom Baker (Doctor 4), "The Five Doctors" which have all of the above, plus Peter Davidson (Doctor 5), A serial with Sylvester McCoy (Doctor 7), and every episode of the new Doctor who with Eccleston and Tenent (Doctors nine and ten).&nbsp; All I lack is Doctor Six (Colin Baker), and I did used to own one episode - hell, I don't recollect the name now, it's the one on Earth, in Spain, with Shokai of the <don't remember> Grig Androgum.&nbsp; Oh, and I also have the 1996 Doctor Who movie with Paul McGann (Doctor number eight).</p><p>Christopher Lee is not considered "official," as the movie was not considered canon. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p>Ah yes, Shockeye of the Quansine Grig.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (The clannishness of that name was deliberate, and contrasted with human companion Jamie McCrimmon of the Clan MacLaren.)&nbsp; That would be "The Two Doctors", an excellent story, and one of the longer ones.&nbsp; (It was a three-parter, during the time when they were experimenting with 45-minute episodes.)&nbsp; It starred Colin Baker and Patrick Troughton, in his last appearance as the 2nd Doctor.&nbsp; In addition to the Androgum chef Shockeye (and the enhanced Androgum Chessine), it also featured the Sontarans, in their last canon appearance until Season Four of the new series.&nbsp; The filming in Seville was partly responsible for the series going on hiatus not long after; expenses were starting to get out of control.&nbsp; (Before getting put on hiatus, there were bold plans for location shooting in New York and Singapore.)&nbsp; Before that, the only foreign filming done on the series was some location stuff done in Paris for "City of Death" (when the producers at the time found that they could do so for a relatively low cost, by carefully planning a day's worth of location shooting with just three of the cast and a small film crew, strategically placed to really show off Paris) and location work on Lanzarote for "Planet of Fire" (not coincidentally, the season prior to "The Two Doctors"). </p><p>The new series is doing some foreign filming, but without the specter of cancellation.&nbsp; Season Three had second unit photography performed in the United States (establishing shots of New York City for "Daleks In Manhattan").&nbsp; Season Four had an episode inexplicably filmed in a studio in Italy (the Pompeii episode).&nbsp; And now they're planning on doing some work in Dubai for one of the 2009 specials.&nbsp; Dr Who is getting downright exotic. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p>Costar news:</p><p>This isn't rumor; this has all been confirmed. </p><p>&nbsp;<br />Three actors have been confirmed for the upcoming "Planet of the Dead" (now in production; fans have observed filming taking place in Cardiff):</p><p>* Michelle Ryan (Eastenders, Bionic Woman) will play Lady Christina de Souza <br />* Lee Evans will play Malcolm, whose life apparently gets somehow connected to the Doctor's (which may mean some kind of connection, or just that he gets in trouble and the Doctor has to rescue him)</p><p>* Noma Dumezwenireturns plays Captain Erisa Magambo, a UNIT soldier first seen in "Turn Left"</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>And although details are not yet available, apparently Freema Agyeman has been signed on.&nbsp; She will reprise the role of Martha in one of the upcoming specials (not "Planet of the Dead"). </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

P

pmn1

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Costar news: apparently Freema Agyeman has been signed on.&nbsp; She will reprise the role of Martha in one of the upcoming specials (not "Planet of the Dead"). &nbsp; <br /> Posted by CalliArcale</DIV></p><p>Which apparently is&nbsp; abit of a surprise as her abandooning Torchwood meant scripts had to be ripped up.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Out of intrest, what would people think of Russell Tovey as the new Doctor? </p><p>Currently a Werewolf in Being Human (available on BBC iPlayer for those who dont get BBC3) </p><p>&nbsp;http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hb49h/Being_Human_Series_1_Episode_1/</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/beinghuman/about.html </p><p>&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p>Well, evidently bowing out of Torchwood didn't burn any bridges with the production team.&nbsp; Sounds like everybody's still friends, and they're willing to still use her.</p><p>Filming is continuing on "Planet of the Dead".&nbsp; Scenes filmed in Cardiff involved the Doctor on a double-decker bus.&nbsp; An identical bus was shipped to Dubai -- apparently the bus gets transported there, with the Doctor on board.&nbsp; Unfortunately a crane operator accidentally smashed it.&nbsp; The BBC has reportedly hired another bus, but there's no word on whether they're planning to ship that down to Dubai now (they're running a bit close on time) or whether they're going to adjust the script to cope with the smashed bus.</p><p>The word "Cybermen" has shown up in connection with the upcoming special, but I'm not sure whether it's an actual rumor or just a journalist in Dubai hoping to see his personal favorite villain.</p><p>&nbsp;<u><font face="Arial" size="2" color="#0000ff">http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id=73135&title=Time%20for%20the%20Tardis</font></u> </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Also, David Tennant is again keeping a video diary.&nbsp; This installment was posted to Youtube: </p><p><u><font face="Arial" size="2" color="#0000ff">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRAB7E4QPNo</font></u> </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

J

jryle1234

<p>Because I have not been able to watch Dr Who much after I mooved away from Chicago (which gave us a whole show in a night from 1 & 1/2&nbsp; to 3 houres) to Dayton oh where I could only get one eppisode at a time. Now I am located in Tacoma WA and one PBS station showes me two portions of a cliff hanger at a time. How can I follow up on what I have missed-- are they available on tapes, dvd etc???</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Joseph S. Rylejryle</p><p>1234@hotmail.com</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Whould you like a jelly baby? </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p>The original series is available entirely on VHS, and is gradually being released on DVD (packed with tons of extras).&nbsp; The new series, which has aired on both Sci-Fi Channel and BBC America in the US (Sci-Fi is available on nearly all basic cable packages; BBC America is usually only available in certain packages), is also available on DVD.&nbsp; I was quite miffed when I went to buy Series Four today and found that Best Buy was asking $85 for it.&nbsp; $85!!!!&nbsp; I'm going to wait and see if I can find a better price online.&nbsp; Meanwhile, I picked up "The Invisible Enemy/K9 And Company" and just finished watching the former.&nbsp; ;-)&nbsp; (I'm off work today.)</p><p>My brother gets it off of BitTorrent, though....</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

J

jryle1234

<p>Thanks for your answer. If anyone else has some answers please let me know. I watched in Chicago most of Terry Baker's episodes and a few others. My Sister was even more faithful and watched regeliousy every Sun. Out of curiosity are the tapes (or DVD's) in the form of cliff hangers or as they were on Chicago PBS one continous show? </p><p>If I am not mistaken Terry Baker did Seven years and has two wax immages in Madam Tousous(spell) one of Dr Who and the other of Rasputin the mad monk.</p><p>JSR</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Whould you like a jelly baby? </div>

P

pathfinder_01

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks for your answer. If anyone else has some answers please let me know. I watched in Chicago most of Terry Baker's episodes and a few others. My Sister was even more faithful and watched regeliousy every Sun. Out of curiosity are the tapes (or DVD's) in the form of cliff hangers or as they were on Chicago PBS one continous show? If I am not mistaken Terry Baker did Seven years and has two wax immages in Madam Tousous(spell) one of Dr Who and the other of Rasputin the mad monk.JSR <br />Posted by jryle1234</DIV><br /><br />They are presented as they were shoot in episodes. Most are cliff hangers. One of the things I miss most about the chicago broadcast is the voice over before the show started.

C

CalliArcale

<p>There was a brief time in the early 90s when the VHS releases were in "omnibus" format (i.e. presented as a continuous block, with the cliffhangers edited together with the recaps).&nbsp; Other than that, they've all been in "episodic" format.</p><p>Note: one exception is "The Five Doctors", which was presented originally as a two-hour special, and was only sliced into episodic format latter for the sake of broadcasters who, for their own reasons, wished to show it in 25-minute timeslots.&nbsp;&nbsp; It has never been released to VHS or DVD in episodic format, which is good since it wasn't really written to fit into those timeslots. </p><p>pathfinder, if you miss those kinds of voiceovers, many of the DVD releases (not all) come with extras including voiceover intros and/or outros, and sometimes episode trailers, usually from the original BBC broadcasts. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

P

pathfinder_01

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp; </font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I have some of the DVDs none of them have a voice over, but I do love the extras. Last DVD I bought was the TV version of the Dalek invasion of earth. The one where Susan leaves the tardis crew. I like the CGI effects added to some of the DVD&rsquo;s they add a layer that was missing with the original broadcast without being obtrusive. </font>

C

CalliArcale

British media are reporting that Matt Smith (the newly cast 11th Doctor) has been signed on for 3 years, with an option to extend to 5 years, at a salary of 600,000 pounds per year.&nbsp; (Tennant made 1,000,000 a year for the role, probably making him the highest paid Doctor ever, even adjusted for inflation.)<br /><br />http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1141554/Dr-Who-wants-millionaire-Matt-Smith-signs-year-deal-play-Time-Lord.html<br /><br />The article implies disappointment on the BBC's part that they only got Tennant for three seasons plus five specials (so four years, really), but in Tennant's defense, three years is fairly typical for a Doctor.&nbsp; Only Jon Pertwee (5 seasons) and Tom Baker (7 seasons) served for longer.<br /><br />In other news, Dr Who Magazine reported that the robot dog K9 will be playing a much larger role in Season Three of the Sarah Jane Adventures.&nbsp; We in the US are of course still waiting for Season Two to be transmitted here, but it's encouraging to know that the BBC has renewed it and that we'll see more of the tin dog.<br /><br />Meanwhile, in Australia, production of a new spin-off series called "K9" is continuing.&nbsp; It's not yet clear how closely this Australian production will be tied to the Whoniverse canon (insofar as there is one), but series producer Paul Tams says that it will be the original K9 (though he wasn't entirely clear on what precisely he meant by that, since the prop is being redesigned) and that there will be hidden references to old Doctor Who stories tucked away as easter eggs for fans.&nbsp; Paul Tams is producing the series, which is live-action with both animatronics and CGI, with Bob Baker, the original creator of K9.&nbsp; Bob Baker wrote "The Invisible Enemy", which introduced K9, and is also well-known for his scripts for Aardman Animations, specifically the Wallace & Gromit stories. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>If I am not mistaken Terry Baker did Seven years and has two wax immages in Madam Tousous(spell) one of Dr Who and the other of Rasputin the mad monk.JSR <br /> Posted by jryle1234</DIV></p><p>Tom Baker has a fairly extensive filmography, and was a stage actor for many years before getting into film and television.&nbsp;&nbsp; One recent performance of his that I'd really like to have seen was apparently in a Sherlock Holmes production.&nbsp; (He's a big Holmes fan.)&nbsp; He played both Holmes *and* Moriarity, exploring the notion of the two actually being the same person, with a split personality.</p><p>He played Rasputin in "Nicholas & Alexandra", not too long before being cast as Doctor Who, as well as an evil magician in "The Golden Voyages of Sinbad".&nbsp; The Rasputin role is kind of creepy, actually -- perfect for the part, but very creepy.&nbsp; Since "Doctor Who", he's mostly done television, including a recurrent role on "Medics" as an elderly and very kindly pediatric surgeon who.&nbsp; He also appeared in the BBC production of "The Silver Chair" (book four of the Chronicles of Narnia; the Beeb did the first four books only) as Puddleglum, the Marsh Wiggle.&nbsp; The part calls for a very tall actor, and he's 6' 3".&nbsp; ;-)</p><p>Regarding his Tussaud image, his image as the Doctor actually was used on the series -- sort of.&nbsp; When "The Five Doctors" was produced, Tom Baker was unavailable.&nbsp; The production team got creative, scavanged unused footage from the untransmitted serial "Shada", concoted an explanation for why he wasn't involved in the story, and went ahead.&nbsp; But he would have been conspicuously absent from the publicity materials, so they hired his wax image from Tussaud's to stand in for him in photocalls. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

Actress Lindsay Duncan has been cast as the 10th Doctor's companion in the upcoming specials this year.&nbsp; (Note: she is not in the Easter special, as that is already in production.)&nbsp; Her character's name will be Adelaide, and she will at least appear in the second special of 2009.&nbsp; It is not clear whether or not she would be staying on for additional specials.&nbsp; Lindsay Duncan is a Scottish actress with a Tony-award-winning stage career and occasional (but critically successful) film and television roles.<br /><br />Russell T Davies describes her character as "the Doctor's most strong-minded companion yet", which has some pretty stiff competition from companions like Liz Shaw or Tegan Jovanka.&nbsp; This could be interesting!<br /><br />http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/2009/02/18/lindsay-duncan-i-m-thrilled-to-be-doctor-who-s-new-assistant-86908-21133282/ <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

P

pathfinder_01

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Actress Lindsay Duncan has been cast as the 10th Doctor's companion in the upcoming specials this year.&nbsp; (Note: she is not in the Easter special, as that is already in production.)&nbsp; Her character's name will be Adelaide, and she will at least appear in the second special of 2009.&nbsp; It is not clear whether or not she would be staying on for additional specials.&nbsp; Lindsay Duncan is a Scottish actress with a Tony-award-winning stage career and occasional (but critically successful) film and television roles.Russell T Davies describes her character as "the Doctor's most strong-minded companion yet", which has some pretty stiff competition from companions like Liz Shaw or Tegan Jovanka.&nbsp; This could be interesting!http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/2009/02/18/lindsay-duncan-i-m-thrilled-to-be-doctor-who-s-new-assistant-86908-21133282/ <br />Posted by CalliArcale</DIV><br /><br /><p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Cool, I love strong willed characters. Like Barbra, Liz Shaw, Tegan, Ace, and Donna. I think Donna is my favorite one of the new series. I just hope she doesn&rsquo;t take it too far like Romana I. With the first Romana you were half expecting the Dr. to land on the nearest planet and kick her out. </font></p>

C

CalliArcale

yevaud":fcs2hvjo said:
If I imply what the following video has shown, we will see Romana return this season. The Doctor is not the only remaining Timelord (discounting his "daughter," of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z9Yg1iOm0w&NR=1

Intriguing! It will be especially interesting to see what they make of her history since her time in E-Space. An extensive fan-based history for her has evolved, supported through an unofficial series of audiodramas and the officially licensed spinoff books, especially the Doctor Who New Adventures. In those, Romana not only escaped E-Space but returned to Gallifrey and eventually became President of the High Council!

While we're sharing YouTube links, here's the latest trailer for this weekend's Easter special:

The Planet of the Dead

C

CalliArcale

yevaud":nbjaptx3 said:
If I imply what the following video has shown, we will see Romana return this season. The Doctor is not the only remaining Timelord (discounting his "daughter," of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z9Yg1iOm0w&NR=1

Okay, I've actually watched it now. ;-) (Had to post the trailer for the upcoming Easter special first.) I wonder how much we can trust the validity of it? It appears to have been edited by a fan -- most notably, it contains bits of the 1996 Fox telemovie, which would present some thorny distribution issues since Fox has inexplicably refused to relinquish their rights.

So I would consider this a rumor, not a reveal. ;-) It's certainly plausible, but you never know. And Russell T Davies has been known to imitate the late John Nathan Turner by planting rumors of his own, soooo.....

BTW, I can think of several Time Lords who would likely not have returned to Gallifrey to fight the Time War. The Meddling Monk, for one. The Rani, for another. And the Rani is female (but a cold-hearted villain brilliantly portrayed by Kate O'Mara on the original series).

C

CalliArcale

Here's more rumormongering.....

Bernard Cribbins (Donna's grandfather Wilf) and John Simms (the new Master) have been spotted on the set of the next special, currently being filmed. (Not this weekend's "Planet of the Dead", but the one after that, probably due for November.) John Simms escaped fan attention for a while, as his hair was dyed blonde. Is he playing the Master again, or has he been invited to play something else? (It would not be the first time the same actor had enjoyed the opportunity to play different roles, and it would explain the hair.) Sounds intriguing, in any case!

EDIT: Just got a little more info on Cribbins -- he is officially being designated the Doctor's companion! This makes him the oldest companion in the history of Doctor Who, at age 80. Although the next special will air in November, the BBC's official statement is that Cribbins will be the companion for the two-part finale set to air around Christmastime. I'm not clear if that means that fans were actually observing filming of the finale or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts