Doctor Who Rumormongering

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalliArcale

Airdates for the upcoming special have been released. "The Waters of Mars" will air in the UK on November 15. (Oddly, the same day the new "Prisoner" series starts on AMC in the US.) It will air in the US on December 19. I do not have dates for other countries. It will be dedicated to the late Barry Letts.

The Doctor Who News Page had some tidbits from an interview with David Tennant (link, with a spoiler about the ending of the episode, concealed through the magic of Javascript):

On playing the role, he said: "You're not really expected to follow what went before, you're sort of expected to go your own way and mess it up a little bit the Doctor is different each time. You know James Bond is always James Bond and Tarzan is always Tarzan and Sherlock Holmes is always Sherlock Holmes but the Doctor is up to you, it's a blank sheet and you can scribble all over it, it's up to you."

He compared the job to being the United States president, saying: "You always get to be called the Doctor."

S

SpacexULA

I hope to god we get the Time Lords back.

I am so sick of watching the Dr. being the smartest man in the universe. I want the old series back, where sometimes the Dr. had to just run away, because some forces where just bigger than him.

Hope Mott brings those days back.

Y

yevaud

SpacexULA":f4cwtfyu said:
I hope to god we get the Time Lords back.

I am so sick of watching the Dr. being the smartest man in the universe. I want the old series back, where sometimes the Dr. had to just run away, because some forces where just bigger than him.

Hope Mott brings those days back.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I have been wondering about multiple contradictions and anomalies in the series that have me pretty well convinced that they are actually not "extinct," and will eventually re-appear.

J

JasonChapman

not exactly edge of your seat stuff, Tennant's exit last night, quite predictable actually.

I'm not sure about the trailer to the 5th series, I pointed out on another scifi forum the other day, I hope with this very young new doctor, the BBC aren't trying to turn this classic series into into some teeny Buffy ass kicking dribble.

O

observer7

I would have liked to have seen the time lords come back, but not at the expense of Earth. Some other mechanism could have been found and then the Doctor could have been on the run again. Given the series a different feel and direction. Sometime in the future (relatively speaking: in the Doctor's future) he could have bottled them up again or otherwise "fixed" the situation.

Not sure about this new doc, he looks kinda like a psycho and is not off to a good start by any means.

L

lildreamer

JasonChapman":2ea2ihye said:
not exactly edge of your seat stuff, Tennant's exit last night, quite predictable actually.
I'm not sure about the trailer to the 5th series, I pointed out on another scifi forum the other day, I hope with this very young new doctor, the BBC aren't trying to turn this classic series into into some teeny Buffy ass kicking dribble.

some spoilers - dont read if you havent seen show....

I didnt find it all that predictable - other than you know he was going to regenerate, when that was a given why that wasn't ...(spoiler) didnt expect Donna's Dad to be the trigger

The Master's return that was a bit of a stretch...and(spoiler) his new - plasma bolt abilities also a complete stretch...
But to see the two interact - this Doctor had a great deal of respect and compassion towards this Master - though it was the 4 th Doctor I think that fried the Master in the gas vent on a planet...

BBC is dammed if they do dammed if they don't - Tennant after all was referred to as a pretty boy in a suit...a few times
he was very EMO during his stint which gave him a human failing - no Time Lord superior attitude. Russell Davies writing gave Tennnant alot of good story lines to develop a rich character that you can form an emotional attachment to.

This new Doctor has some awfully big shoes to fill - it may be a blank slate for him to add his own color, tone and texture
but once you paint a master piece who wants a nockoff....

C

CalliArcale

I liked it very much. Tennant and the guy playing Wilfred Mott had some great interactions. Some excellent acting in this one. Timothy Dalton was fun to watch, though he must've had to periodically stop to pick scenery out of his teeth. :D He looked like he was having a great time being all portentous and everything. (Towards the end, he started to strongly remind me of Michael Jayston as the Valeyard, for those who remember the last time we got to see Gallifrey on the series -- "Trial of a Time Lord". If ever a Doctor had a disappointing end, it was Colin Baker's Doctor, who never even really got to regenerate properly. Oh, there was a regeneration scene, but Baker wasn't in it; they used a stand-in.)

The things that annoyed me most:

* the Master's new abilities were kind of out of left field, and didn't advance the plot enough to get a free pass on that (you can get away with just about anything as long as you make it worth the audience's while to suspend their disbelief; you can't just jack around with the audience)

* Gallifrey's appearance over Earth had a large dose of Bad Astronomy -- not for its sudden appearance, which we can easily ascribe to future tech and physics beyond our current understanding (Clarke's Law and all), but for the fact that it is apparently much larger than the Earth, yet has been established as having close to Earthlike gravity, and for the fact that it should have provoked tidal devastation on a truly apocalyptic scale just by being so close; of course, one could retcon that as saying that maybe it hadn't become fully corporeal yet, but I dunno

* Every season, we seem to get one or two (usually two) global-scale apocalypses which everybody seems to blithely disregard afterwards. The same thing has been happening on Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures. To borrow a line I once saw in an MST3K fanfic, this isn't suspension of disbelief. This is hanging disbelief by the neck until it is dead, dead, dead. Roger Ebert remarked that something is wrong in a movie if the characters have to be complete morons in order for the story to work. What about a show where the entire *world* is apparently populated by morons?

And last, but not least,

* The regeneration was the second silliest yet, IMHO. (Silliest, and most annoying, was the one last season. The regeneration that wasn't, aka a really dirty trick to play on the fans, and an awful rash way to get a little cliffhanger excitement.) The Doctor easily blew away old records for duration of time from mortal injury to regeneration. How mortal was that radiation injury, if he a) healed all his wounds without regenerating and b) had time for a nice jaunt around the universe, locating ways in which he could quietly help his friends by screwing around with time, before finally succumbing and turning into Matt Smith? And while we're at it, what the hell was going in that regeneration? We're not talking Highlander: the Series, here. Regenerations have never been like Quickenings. What was that all about? And blowing out the TARDIS windows? It's not even properly real! The police box is just a block-transfer mathematical model laid upon the outer plasmic shell. And if its windows really CAN be shattered, why didn't it depress at that point? Shouldn't the Doctor be rapidly running through his remaining lives as they progressively asphixiate, one after another? And since Tennant was #10, that wouldn't give him very long before we get to find out if the Valeyard really is the 13th Doctor. What's more, the whole sequence, from mortal injury to regeneration, was almost a quarter of the second part's runtime. Were they trying to pad it out or something? It was like something you'd read in a college student's first fanfic. In terms of time to die, it made "The Song of Roland" appear reasonable. (Roland takes about two dozen pages to die, after being mortally wounded by blowing his horn too hard, and during this time he slays a ridiculous number of Moors, sometimes while several are still impaled on his sword. This wasn't that absurd, except for the duration.)

I do notice one thing: since the new series started, all regenerations have occurred inside the TARDIS. That includes Eccleston -> Tennant, the Master regenerating from Derek Jacobi to John Simms, the Doctor inexplicably temporarily regenerating into himself in last season's finale, and now Tennant -> Smith. Why would that be? I can't imagine some kind of FX restriction, since the old series managed just fine on less budget and lower tech.

Fun with statistics....

During the entire run of Doctor Who, we have seen

1-2: Earth (south pole base)
2-3: Gallifrey
3-4: Earth (UNIT HQ)
4-5: Earth (Jodrell Bank, under the Lowell Telescope)
5-6: TARDIS
6-7: TARDIS
7-8: Earth (morgue)
8-9: not shown
9-10: TARDIS
10-10: TARDIS
10-11: TARDIS

Romana 1 - Romana 2: TARDIS

Delgado Master - decrepit Master: not shown, may not involve an actual regeneration
decrepit Master - Ainley Master: Traken, touching the Master's spare TARDIS but not actually in it
Ainley Master - executed Master: not shown
executed Master - Roberts Master: Earth (San Fransisco)
Roberts? Master - Jacobi Master: not shown
Jacobi Master - Simms Master: TARDIS (the Doctor's, as it happens; no regenerations have been shown in anybody else's TARDIS)

So the TARDIS does turn up disproportionately. I wonder why? As far as I can see, there's no plot reason why this should be so, and thus it seems to be just writer preference. Interestingly, the Doctor has only once regenerated on a planet other than the Earth (and that time, it was Gallifrey, in its first appearance). It further appears that only three of the Doctor's regenerations didn't involve Earth in some way.

C

CalliArcale

Another interesting thought about "The End of Time".....

I believe this is the first time in which an actual sitting US President was depicted on the show. (A couple of seasons ago, coincidentally the last time we saw John Simms as the Master, we did see a fictional US President, who was promptly killed by the bad guys, and then presumably un-killed at the end when time reverted.) President Obama is portrayed (from behind) by an impersonator, and a relevant excerpt from an actual speech by Obama was looped in just before the Master enacted his plan -- after which, of course, he was played by John Simms (who was playing the entire erstwhile-human race at that point).

Major political figures are seldom included on the show. Another rare exception was in "Silver Nemesis", when an impersonator portrayed Queen Elizabeth II, shown from behind while walking her dogs at Windsor Castle. This is actually the only other example that comes to my mind of a real-world high-ranking political figure being depicted on the series.

J

jmilsom

Hi all, have been absent for much of the past year, but am still watching Dr. Who and looking forward to the next round!

L

lildreamer

CalliArcale":evffl54t said:
Another interesting thought about "The End of Time".....

I believe this is the first time in which an actual sitting US President was depicted on the show. (A couple of seasons ago, coincidentally the last time we saw John Simms as the Master, we did see a fictional US President, who was promptly killed by the bad guys, and then presumably un-killed at the end when time reverted.) President Obama is portrayed (from behind) by an impersonator, and a relevant excerpt from an actual speech by Obama was looped in just before the Master enacted his plan -- after which, of course, he was played by John Simms (who was playing the entire erstwhile-human race at that point).

Major political figures are seldom included on the show. Another rare exception was in "Silver Nemesis", when an impersonator portrayed Queen Elizabeth II, shown from behind while walking her dogs at Windsor Castle. This is actually the only other example that comes to my mind of a real-world high-ranking political figure being depicted on the series.

what about the voyage of the Dammed - Titanic episode - where the queen comes running out and says Thankyou Doctor...???? after preventing the ship from crashing into Buckingham Palace ?
(note: not nitpicking just asking :oops: )

C

CalliArcale

lildreamer":3l1atrem said:
what about the voyage of the Dammed - Titanic episode - where the queen comes running out and says Thankyou Doctor...???? after preventing the ship from crashing into Buckingham Palace ?
(note: not nitpicking just asking :oops: )

Ah yes, that would be another example! Cool. ;-) Still, it's not common. Even deceased political figures have not appeared very often, but more commonly in the first decade of the show, when purely historical episodes were more common.

D

dragon04

I've always said that Tom Baker was not only my favorite Doctor but that he owned the part.

I finally watched The End of Time tonight. David Tennant is magnificent. I shall miss The Doctor.

C

CalliArcale

Titles have been announced for the next season of Doctor Who!

The Eleventh Hour - Stephen Moffat
The Beast Below - Stephen Moffat
Victory of the Daleks - Mark Gatiss

Titles are not yet announced for other episodes, but some other information has been announced. The BBC has now confirmed the rumor that Alex Kingston will be playing River Song, who previously appeared in the Moffat-written two-parter "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead", and who reportedly knew the Doctor very well indeed, and in his David Tennant form. It will be very interesting to see where they go with that.

The tenth episode will be written by Richard Curtis, and will involve Vincent Van Gogh.

The fourth and fifth episodes are currently in production. The crew, including Ms Kingston, were sighted at Stonehenge, inside the stone circle. This would be Doctor Who's second visit to an actual henge. The Series Sixteen serial "Stones of Blood" was filmed partly at the Rollright Stones (standing in for a fictional henge called the Nine Travellers).

The Doctor Who News Page also reports on a recent TV interview with Peter Davison, in which he was asked about a possible reunion story, and he said that he didn't think it was likely owing to a) the constantly declining number of Doctors (though presently there are seven former Doctors living) and b) the ever-increasing *age* of the actors. I shouldn't worry too much about that, though, considering that Frazier Hines came back to play the teenaged Jamie 19 years after he originated the part, and frankly, despite the best efforts of the makeup department, looking distinctly middle aged.

And something for the celebrity gossip: the same article also mentions that David Tennant is still dating Davison's daughter, Georgia Moffett (who appeared as Jenny in "The Doctor's Daughter"). Will he end up being Davison's son-in-law? ;-) Note: most Whovians (and Tennant is a *rabid* Whovian) have a favorite Doctor. His is the 5th Doctor -- Peter Davison.

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2010/02/peter-davison-dismisses-doctors-reunion.html

L

lildreamer

awesome followup Calli - thanks
That last title - Victory for the Daleks - die dam it die why wont they just die......they're not dieing.......

P

pmn1

The writer for 'Vampires of Venice' is the same guy who writes 'Being Human'.........

P

pmn1

themastersfacebook.jpg

C

CalliArcale

*ROTFLMAOI*

Oh, that is HILARIOUS!!! Where did you get those? Did you make them? I want more!!!

C

CalliArcale

2011 writers are being signed!

With the current season in production, plans are underway for next season, and they're starting to sign writers! Neil Gaiman has been signed to write an episode for next season (Matt Smith’s second season). Woohoo! Not only is that very cool because he is such an interesting writer, but that would give Doctor Who a rare Minnesota connection -- though born in Britain, Gaiman emigrated to the US and settled in the Twin Cities. I believe he would be the first US citizen to write for the actual series (unless you count the fact that Terry Nation, creator of the Daleks, eventually emigrated to California -- I don't count that, as he did not contribute any Doctor Who scripts after that point).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts