Genesis-2: ETD Late January 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kane007

LiveScience.com Blogs<br /><br /><br /><br />A Genesis-2 launch is now slated for January, space module mogul Robert Bigelow of Bigelow Aerospace in Las Vegas, Nevada stated in a new communique.<br /><br />“Initially scheduled for late 2006, we and our launch provider have decided not to obligate our staffs to be away from home over the December and early January holidays. So we now have a new approximate launch time frame of the last week of January,” Bigelow noted.<br /><br />The Genesis-2 will be very similar to the expandable module already in orbit. It too will be flown into space atop a converted Cold War rocket - the Ukrainian-built Dnepr booster provided by ISC Kosmotras. One difference for the next module launch is the introduction of new ground receiving stations tied to the Las Vegas-Nevada-based Genesis mission control.<br /><br />In a related issue, late in the month following the July 12 liftoff of Genesis-1, a Dnepr booster failed to deliver its cargo of satellites into Earth orbit. An ISC Kosmotras investigation of that failure is underway.<br />

S

spacester

Update, from a Bigelow press release:<br /><br /><i>August 11, 2006 - 3:15 p.m. PDT<br /><br />Due to a number of factors related to the outstanding performance of Genesis I, the hoped-for adequate performance of Genesis II and various additional factors—including, but not limited to, domestic and international issues forecast over the next four to five years bearing upon America's transportation and launch deficits—we have made several bold decisions. An important announcement early in 2007 subsequent to the launch of Genesis II shall expose some of our plans.<br /></i> <br />***<br />Let's hope that the Dnepr works again . . . <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts