Hoax: The Transcript of Challenger Crew last words

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drwayne

I saw an interesting segment in a U2 program just the other day that showed a pilot in an altitude chamber, and showed a liquid that was simulating blood in a beaker. Getting up around 60K feel, it started to boil quite nicely.<br /><br />I know it doesn't work quite that way in the bloodstream, but it was quite interesting.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

Thank you for the correction, shuttle_guy. And thank you for confirming my belief that such a recorder wouldn't have been of much use -- and certainly would not have captured what this hoax claims.<br /><br />I find it very telling that this exact "transcript" has been floated around, claiming to have come from multiple sources: a nonexistent cockpit voice recorder (the kind that picks up general sounds in the cabin, not the kind that's tied into the intercom system), radio transmissions to the ground supposedly picked up by a suspicious anonymous third party, and now Christa McAuliffe's tape recorder. Although the variation does not disprove anything, in and of itself, such variation is a strong hallmark of an urban legend. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

D

drwayne

Having seen this pop up over the years, I can say that this *is* an urban legend.<br /><br />The problem with urban legends is that they are concoted to conform with the way people feel about things, in such a way as to confirm those beliefs, and therefore to confirm themselves. Everybody "knows" big government agencies are by their very nature conspiratorial - and it is "easy" to believe that one would (a) Hurt people, like the Challenger 7 and (b) Cover it up.<br /><br />This tendency can be overcome by maintaining a healthy scepticism - a thought process that if something "comes to light" that aligns too well with are suspicions about a person or organization, that you need to put that information in a "check this out" file, rather than a start spouting it off on every forum you can find.<br /><br />Keep it in the same box that you put those emails that proclaim "sent this to everyone you know!!!!".<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

V

viper101

I'm almost certain this Bullsh*t transcript first appeared in some rag like the weekly word news. <br /><br />

S

shuttle_rtf

Well a couple of people have mentioned it now. Leaving that transcript on here will happily enter that ONE post of the transcript on google when it's next crawled by search engines.<br /><br />I'm becoming very confused to why - in the happy holdy hand of free speech - this is being left on under space.com's name.<br /><br />Would it be also ok to post a hoax transcript of the last words of a poster's relative who died in 9/11? Give free speech?<br /><br />I've asked nicely a few times now, but can we have some bloody respect for the crew? <br /><br />Would it really be too much to ask for someone to at least change the headline to "The HOAX transcript..."?<br /><br />Very confusing.

C

CalliArcale

If the admins tell us that they want to make a special case for just this one particular hoax, then yes, it will be removed. If you want to discuss board moderation further, please do so in the Suggestions forum. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

shuttle_rtf

Thanks, but I've said all I'm going to say on this subject without resorting to finding out what tier of moderation is required to simply add in the word HOAX to that first post for reasons I've explained twice.

C

CalliArcale

I'm sorry, I missed that suggestion when I read your post the first time. Evidently I became temporarily blind! Sorry about that. That's a good idea. I'm not entirely comfortable with deleting a post because it's false, but I can annotate it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

D

drwayne

Good solution folks. <br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts