How are the OBSS sensors powered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abadger

I have been looking around the net and can't find this information. How is the OBSS (Orbiter Boom Sensor System) powered? Is it batteries? Does it get power from the RMS directly somehow? Also, how does it get data back to the shuttle? Is it wireless?<br /><br />I am sure someone on this forum knows the answers so thanks in advance!

S

steve82

On the opposite end of the OBSS from the sensor package there is a modified Electrical Flight Grapple Fixture that provides the power and data interface with the RMS. That's the part the RMS holds on to when it maneuvers the boom. The data from the sensors can go to the shuttle VTR system for recording and downlink via Ku-band to the ground. There is also an ethernet link to the Aft Flight Deck that is used by the OBSS laptop for control of the OBSS. There is also another power interface when it is not being grappled by the RMS that provides keep alive/heater power to the sensor package to protect it from environment extremes when it is not in use. If you do some searches on "EFGF+OBSS" it ought to get you near some PAO-type pitches for the missions that have a lot of diagrams and PDF charts with pictures of the interfaces-unfortunately my machine here at home goes down whenever I try to download a big pdf file.

A

abadger

<br />Ah I did not know the RMS could do that. Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.