Hubble Repair (STS-125) Mission Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

bobble_bob":3h8z8u4r said:
How much of the EVA's will we see on Nasatv? Normally during an EVA at the ISS we have camera's on the ISS streaming the content to earth. I know the shuttle has a few camera's onboard, but will they be able to capture the whole EVA?

As usual, I'm sure all the EVA's will be covered live in their entirety.

M

MeteorWayne

tanstaafl76":stdfnqsx said:
Is there a separate thread that discusses the shuttle damage?

This would be the proper thread for any such discussion, except as newsartist noted.

M

MeteorWayne

nimbus":3986k6c5 said:
Those are stars and nebula in the background of the TPS inspection camera's feed, right?
I strongly doubt that. Neither stars or most certainly nebula would be bright enough to be captured at the exposures being made.

M

MeteorWayne

Clouds or LIGHT POLLUTION :evil: would be the more correct term. Unfortunately, I don't know when you were talking about, and was away from the computer for a while for a visit to the vet.

M

MeteorWayne

Post MMT briefing about to start on NASA TV.

Predictions: Question. Are you worried about this or that and will you launch the rescue shuttle?

Answer (a true one) We don't know yet, we are examining all the data which hasn't even all been downloaded yet.

We'll have a better idea by tomorrow when we have had a chance to look at it.

Aaaauuurrrggghhhh!

T

Testing

Scribble notes please, I'm stuck here for a couple more hours.

Spaceflightnow article on Atlantis 'damage'.

Looks like nothing more serious than surface scrapes.
obsssts125.jpg

Foam piece 1'45" after launch.
ascentdebrissts125.jpg

Further investigations will reveal more, but so far, it does not look significant.

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

OK, quick summary.

One debris event seems to have occurred. It was recorded by the impact tranducers and there is damage along the chine. This is the area between the belly and the side upstream from the RCC panels on the wing. The damage appears very shallow, about 21" long. At this point it appears a focused inspection will not be required, but of course they could decide to do that if needed. Again, this info is VERY preliminary. It is not a high heating area, and if the damage is as shallow as it seems to be, they probably won't bother...but still could decide to do it to be sure. No major issues. Of course, once the data is downloaded and digested they will decide.

The RCS covers (probably what was noticed very early in launch) came off a little later than desired, but no problem.

They have decided to move up the TIG to about 6:27 EDT today to adjust the orbitand save propellant with the earlier time.

That's about it, all is well. They are about to command the HST to close it's aperture cover in prep for tomorrow's activities; AFAIK, the grapple is still expected at 12:54 PM EDT tomorrow, with the first EVA to begin just after (or before, knowing those astronuts :) ) 8 AM EDT Thursday.

Oh, one other thing, two lightning strikes were detected near pad B where the STS 400 shuttle is standing. No indications of any damage, but of course they will check the systems out thoroughly.

Currently on the main page is a closeup of the damage. I'll try and find a final link when it shows up, or I'm sure Andrew will post it.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/

T

Testing

I caught the final question. "Would they acceletate the processing for STS-400? No, but it would be ready to launch Monday. If required."

M

MeteorWayne

There's certainly no indication of any reason to accelerate the schedule, in fact at this time there's no reason to expect such a rescue mission would even be needed.

M

MeteorWayne

NC3 Burn completed, no trim required. On track to catch Hubble tomorrow afternoon.

S

scottb50

rocketscientist327":1r9vd9yd said:
Well there is this: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... start%3D80

and this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... anding.jpg

I am not going to speculate other than to say, Atlantis has been through something similar?

VR
RS327

From the pictures so far it is a magnitude less damage then Atlantis had at that time. Even the big picture you show has damage in relatively low heating areas and basically gouges out of tiles that still remained in place. Columbia was different, if the inferences made as to the damage are correct. A thin but solid panel was breached just behind the leading edge, an area of high heat and high structural loads.

The damage shown on Atlantis could have caused damage to the airframe but it wouldn't have affected aerodynamic loads like the damage on Columbia. Even a missing tile or two might cause a burn through of the underlying structure, but the areas tiles cover are not aerodynamically significant unless large areas are missing or severely damaged.

If what was shown is the extent of the damage it is minimal.

M

MeteorWayne

Rendevous operations underway. The shuttle is about 50 miles from Hubble, closing at a rate of 33 ft/sec.

H

hellfire99

Hey, when listening to the coms between MCC and Atlantis, they talk about 'Radicom'. Is this something equivalent to a LOS? Any ideas?

M

MeteorWayne

hellfire99":7siwiib4 said:
Hey, when listening to the coms between MCC and Atlantis, they talk about 'Radicom'. Is this something equivalent to a LOS? Any ideas?

What they are saying is "Ratty" com, meaning lousy signal qaulity :)

M

MeteorWayne

Terminal Initiation burn (to circularize the orbit) completed, no trim required. Just over two hours until Atlantis grabs the Hubble Space Telescope.

M

MeteorWayne

About 2 miles from the scope now, closing at ~ 13 feet per second.

M

MeteorWayne

1 hour to capture, less than a mile away (4000') closing at 6 feet/sec.

M

MeteorWayne

Looks like capture might be a little bit late due to some telemetry issues.
(originally scheduled for 12:54 PM EDT)

M

MeteorWayne

They are about to switch the Ku Band antenna to allow TV coverage of the capture process....

200 feet, Live coverage up now on NASA TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts