Hubble Repair (STS-125) Mission Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick chime in.

First view of Hubble since March 2002.
FirstHubbleViewSTS125Atlantis.jpg

Will be back later.

Andrew Brown.

F

felicitynexus

Best Wishes for a very succsessful and with no troubles to run into!!!! And for the safety of all to return to us with smiling faces and celebration, for a advancment towards technology!

S

shuttle2moon

This coverage is awesome, but something worries me-

How will we service satellites and what not without the shuttle? I'm sure that the Constellation is not as equipped as well for service satellites. They should keep a shuttle in reserve.

M

MeteorWayne

There are no other satellites designed to be serviced, so it's a moot point.

All remaining shuttle missions go to the ISS, so it's a moot point.

The shuttle program is over after the ISS flights, it's already too late to change that.

S

shuttle2moon

MeteorWayne":1mf94ahl said:
There are no other satellites designed to be serviced, so it's a moot point.

All remaining shuttle missions go to the ISS, so it's a moot point.

The shuttle program is over after the ISS flights, it's already too late to change that.

I know, but the HST was not designed to be serviced in this way either, and because we have the shuttle system, this service misson was available to us, something that would not have been had we had no shuttle. I'm just sad to see the shuttle go is all.

M

MeteorWayne

I'm sad to see the shuttle go as well, but that's reality.

In fact, the Hubble was designed to be serviced, probably the only satellite ever where that will be the case. Certainly, the repairs on this mission go beyond what the servicing was designed for, but more than half of the activities were designed in from the beginning. There is no other satellite where such extensive repairs and upgrades would even be attempted.

Quite a nice view here of the Hubble Space Telescope after capture.

HubbleSpaceTelescopegrappledAtlanti.jpg

High resolution images are being taken of Hubble to ascertain micrometeroid & other impacts since March 2002. Should be interesting. We know that nothing large has struck Hubble, or else the telescope would have been lost, but the data concerning dust impacts, etc should be interesting.

Andrew Brown.

Another here with the Earth approx 580 KM beneath.

HubbleSpaceTelescopegrappledAtla-1.jpg

Northern Egypt with Sinai Peninsula with the Nile Delta clearly visible from Atlantis STS 125. The Gulf of Suez is visible to the left of Sinai, The Gulf of Aqaba to the right.

Cairo, capital city of Egypt & Africa's largest city is to the base of the Nile Delta stradling the Nile.
EgyptSinaiPeninsulaAtlantisSTS125sm.jpg

The expanse of the Mediterranean is clearly visible to the north.

Andrew Brown.

T

Testing

These service folks are seriously jazzed. Tney are gonna do it to the utmost for sucsess. Well done on grapple and berthing.

S

shuttle2moon

When they install the capture device today on HST that will allow a "spacecraft" to grapple on to deorbit the HST at the end of its life, I wonder what spacecraft they are talking about.....I do not think the constellation could do such a thing...

T

Testing

Ten plus years in the future. It has not been designed yet. It will be robotic to go up, grapple and de-orbit on command.

S

shuttle2moon

Testing":3u42qo6y said:
Ten plus years in the future. It has not been designed yet. It will be robotic to go up, grapple and de-orbit on command.

Was thinking about that-JPL is pretty good designing robots. Will be a shame that a team of 7 people will not be able to go into space at once after the shuttle.

On another subject, I love MM-I could listen his commentary all day. He must be the joker of the crew....

M

MeteorWayne

Hatch open, both on battery power, EVA underway at 8:52 Am EDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts