Images of Mars -- Part 2

Page 22 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JonClarke

That certainly looks like bedrock. So hydrothermal alteration or sediments as candiadates for the low iron rock are looking more likely.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

S

Swampcat

Spirit, Sol 550 (L2, L5 & L7 filters)<br /><br />Full size image<br />(1771x1177, 534kb)<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

Spirit, Sol 546 (L2, L5 & L7 filters)<br /><br />Full size image<br />(1024x1024, 264kb)<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

Meanwhile, on the other side of Mars...<br /><br />Oppy, Sol 497 (L4, L5 & L6 filters)<br /><br />Full size image<br />(1024x1024, 89kb) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

Oppy, Sol 528 (L2, L5 & L7 filters)<br /><br />Full size image<br />(1993x841, 547kb) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

R

rlb2

A change in rock make-up is a good thing. May help explain a lot more of what happened at the Spirits site.<br /><br />Here is another one they just release. There are some good looking rocks, (as my soils instructor would say<br /> from years gone by - large course grain soils material), with the rest of the filters yet to be released.<br /><br />2P174838024EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Oppy<br /><br />1P175233168EL4M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175451869EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175452295ESL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175459701EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175460311EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175543987EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175544386EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

T

thechemist

Thanks rlb2 for your wonderful images !<br /><br />Your 1P175233168EL4M1.5 has a "Razorback" rock formation, that was first observed inside Endurance. It is funny that we see similar rocks also inside a small crater in the plains.<br />If I remember correctly, the Endurance razorback was attributed to preferential erosion of the main rock matrix which left the razorback material intact.<br /><br />However, I've read that this small crater in the plains was shaped by aeolian forces, not an impact. Any help from the resident geologist ? <hint /> <hint> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>I feel better than James Brown.</em> </div>

R

rlb2

<font color="orange">Your 1P175233168EL4M1.5 has a "Razorback" rock formation, that was first observed inside<br /> Endurance. It is funny that we see similar rocks also inside a small crater in the plains.<font color="white"><br /><br />Good question, like you it did fly across my mind. I went back to look and redid some of the images but I couldn't <br />find the ones in question yet. I did raise another question while scanning for the razor backs, some <br />of the locals who are well schooled in geology can help me out with this one too.<br /><br />'Where’s the Frost." Since the rovers landed, I was looking for ground cover frost like evidence at the <br />Oppy and Spirits sites similar to what we saw at the Vikings sites. At first I thought that maybe the Viking<br /> was in an area with more concentrations of subsurface permafrost but then I found this at Endurance crater???<br /><br />Ground fog???<br /><br />1P138920976EL5M1.5<br /><br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P138921352EFF2809P2261L5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175634283EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175633879EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175630349EL4M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175629956EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175545487EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175544257EL5M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175192887EL5M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P175192773EL5M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

T

thechemist

Sol 536 PanCam panorama from Oppy. Erebus highway to the left, buckle your seatbelts ! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>I feel better than James Brown.</em> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.