Images of Mars -- Part 2

Page 27 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rlb2

2P178032255EL5M1.7 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P178121973EL5M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P178030338EL6M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P178030315EL5M1.7 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P178121973EL5M1.7 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Whats this?<br /><br />Its in image 2P178030338EL6M1.5 above<br /><br />2P178030338EL6M1.7 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P177987740EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P178032255EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P178032440EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

F

fortytwo

Whats that?<br /><br />Oh, thats part of the great wall of Mars. Never heard of it?<br /><br />Very interesting. Where is that in relation to how they climbed the hill?

S

silylene old

It's from two photos not overlaid very well. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

E

exoscientist

Nice images RLB. <br />Those two cones near "home plate" look like cinder cones. Perhaps these will prove to be recent volcanic activity. <br />The flat area called "home plate" looks to me like a "maar", a volcanic crater due to water, volcanic interaction.<br />Some mounds on this side of the Columbia Hills were interpreted by Carbol et.al. as frost mounds:<br /><br />Thyra Crater.<br />http://cmex.arc.nasa.gov/CMEX/data/catalog...hyraCrater.html<br /><br />However, another interpretation is that they are lava flows:<br /><br />A volcanic interpretation of Gusev Crater surface materials<br />from thermophysical, spectral, and morphological evidence.<br />JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 110, E01003, doi:10.1029/2004JE002327, 2005<br />http://www.geo.umass.edu/courses/geo892/Feb_16_paper_don.pdf<br />See p. 18 and Fig. 17.<br /><br /><br />Bob Clark <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rlb2

<font color="orange">It's from two photos not overlaid very well.<font color="white"><br /><br />No it isn't, I went back and checked it out since I put the two images together, in fact it is a little <br />straighter then my attempted merging of the two images.<br /><br />Here is the imaged from the three RGB filters beamed down from Mars. Note in this image I didn't try to<br /> sharpen it much so the sky isn't as washed out.<br /><br />2P178030315EL5M1.9<br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

<font color="orange">Oh, thats part of the great wall of Mars. Never heard of it?<font color="white"><br /><br />Those industries Chinese ran out of space in their country building the great wall so in order not to <br />offend their neighbors they continued building the wall on another planet.<br /><br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Are you talking about this one I enlarged the second image and added much more contrast so you can <br />see what shape it is, from a distance it looks like a half eroded mobile home pad.<br /><br />2P178121605EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P178121605EL5M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

What I am seeing here folks from the raw images that came in yesterday and today is that - this is one of <br />the few times that the hype can't live up to reality. <br /><br />As soon as I process them in color, I will post them. <br /><br />2P178207921EL5M1<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

J

JonClarke

Another possibility for home plate is that it is a small crater that has undergone relief inversion. That would be very nice to see close up.<br /><br />Just to be technical Carbol interpreted the hills as pingoes, not frost mounds. Frost mounds are small hummocks, pingoes are big hills. But I suspect the volcanic explaination for those features is more likely, although I would be surprised if there are not pingoes somewhere on Mars.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

On Wednesday night Steve Squyres said that they will be spending a few days/weeks collecting a full resolution 360 degree panorama from the top. Rather like the one of Burns cliffs except a full circle. Apparently that one, if blown up to full resolution, would occupy three IMAX screen widths. So that the one from the top of Husband Hill would look like beggars belief.<br /><br />As always, many thanks for an awesome job in getting these images processed. They bring tears to my eyes at any rate.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

E

exoscientist

Yes, RLB, that is the area I meant.<br /> According to this glossary cinder cones don't involve interation with water:<br /><br />Volcanic and Geologic Terms.<br />http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/glossary.html<br /><br />If the flat area is indeed a maar then perhaps the nearby cones are tuff cones which like maars are created through volcanic water interaction:<br /><br />HYDROVOLCANIC ERUPTIONS<br />http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/Hydrovolcanic.html<br /><br />Tuff Cone - Maar Volcano.<br />http://geology.about.com/library/bl/images/bltuffcone.htm<br /><br /><br /> Bob Clark <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rlb2

Thanks<br /><br /><font color="orange">Apparently that one, if blown up to full resolution, would occupy three IMAX screen widths. <br />So that the one from the top of Husband Hill would look like beggars belief.<font color="white"><br /><br />That would be a crowning achievement on the remarkable job they have done so far.<br /><br />I will post more tonight and through the weekend.<br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Thanks for the latest updated ideas. <br /><br />I haven't been on top of the latest incites into the formation of the Columbia Hill area but this is what <br />I would like the mounds to be and hopefully the home plate will turn out to be residue from a past hot spring<br /> area as some people have previously alluded to. At any event we have a bird’s eye view now.<br /><br />Yellowstone site where I acquired the below images and where geyser movies can be viewed.<br /><br />http://www.yellowstone.net/geysers/geyser14.htm<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

silylene old

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>It's from two photos not overlaid very well. <br /><br />No it isn't, I went back and checked it out since I put the two images together, in fact it is a little <br />straighter then my attempted merging of the two images. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />I meant the overlay which created a vertical seam. I can (barely) see the seam, and the seam is exactly at the right edge of the white "wall". So I think the right edge may not be a 90 degree angle, but instead an artifact.<br /><br />(I do enjoy your Mars pictures very much, this has always been one of my favorite threads, so I hope you don't take my discussion as a criticism, but rather a discussion of what might be that unusual feature). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

R

rlb2

<font color="orange">I hope you don't take my discussion as a criticism, but rather a discussion of what might be <br />that unusual feature).<font color="white"><br /><br />It never entered my mind with you and most people on this board, I enjoy our little discussions. <br /><br /><font color="orange">I meant the overlay which created a vertical seam. I can (barely) see the seam, and the seam<br /> is exactly at the right edge of the white "wall". So I think the right edge may not be a 90 degree angle, <br />but instead an artifact.<font color="white"><br /><br />Here is my reason for disagreeing with that statement of it being an artifact. First it takes three RGB filters <br />to make a color image. If all three filters have an object that showed up in three consecutive images so all <br />three must have an artifact at the same location or it would be more obvious to the viewer. I saw many <br />artifacts in single images but when you combine three together it is much harder for an artifact to fool you.<br /> You can find those three RGB filters here. <br /><br />http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit_p582.html<br /><br />I was once fooled by an artifact in the first images of the surrounding area at the Opportunity landing <br />site. Previously there was one image with a similar defect that may be the result of what you are <br />talking about that looked like a wall. On that one I didn't have a leg to stand on as far as claiming that<br /> it was what it appeared to be because I didn't have more than one image or one view of it. But this time<br /> I do have an example shown below that is from a different angle. <br /><br />Im having a little fun I understand that there are many natural rock type formations on earth similar to that wall. <br />I would aso like to see it from the other side.</font></font></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P178298148EL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts