ISS Solar panel modularity

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

As ISS grows, possible larger than NASA designed it to be, could we add more solar panels to the truss system? Or will it be maxed out when ISS's existing construction schedule is over? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

E

erioladastra

It will be maxed out - there are no fluid, power or data lines past what we have, nor are the replacements/new ones on the ground.

M

mrmorris

In the <b>extraordinarily unlikely</b> possibility of the ISS growing beyond its rated power needs, I'd expect that it'd be much easier to manufacture replacement arrays for the ISS. The arrays up there are only about 12.5% efficient by my calculations -- pretty standard for the time they were manufactured. Even without going multi-junction , modern arrays could be made with close to 20% efficiency, and 3J arrays like what the MERs have reach about 35%. Manufacture a replacement array with the same connections/etc -- take them up, cut free the old array and replace.<br /><br />Even then, I expect serious problems with the power-handling equipment being able to handle the increased wattage. However -- this would still be easier than redisigning the ISS to have more trusses/etc. than were ever planned.<br /><br />Mind you -- I still consider it to be a moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts