ISS & STS-114 Orbitz

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darth_matter

When I've watched ISS Mission Coverage on the NASA channel, I notice that the ISS has a rather peculiar orbit. Instead of traveling along, say, the equator, its orbit has many curves. It is as if the ISS slithers across the sky, rather like the movement of a snake.<br />With the launch of Discovery I noticed that it has taken on a similar orbit.<br />My question is, is what is done to make these craft accomplish such an interesting orbit? And, does the craft lock in such an orbit, or does it have to continually make maneauvers to maintain its course?

B

botch

Your confusion stems from the fact that you've seen a 2d diagram of the shuttle/ISS orbit in relation to it's position on the ground. The orbit is actually circular, but inclined at over 50 degrees from the equator.<br />This produces the odd looking ground track that you've seen.

E

earth_bound_misfit

Heres a link to the live online ground trace that you saw.<br /><br />http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/ <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

D

drwayne

Think of it this way. The orbit of the station is "inclined" to the equator, i.e. it makes an angle with it. It is still a circular orbit, it just goes though a different "slice" of the Earth.<br /><br />Now, while the ISS is moving around this circle, the Earth is rotating on its own axis underneath it. So - when the ISS comes back to the same side of the Earth, its not over the same spot on the Earth.<br /><br />Clear, semi-clear?<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

D

drwayne

one value of such an orbit by the way (as opposed to an equatorial orbit) is that you get to "see" more of the Earth - as what you see on each orbit is different.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts