NASA's Perseverance is exploring Mars! Come watch updates with us!

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"if Mars is as large as Venus "

It isn't. Nowhere close.

Mars' mass is 6.42 x 1023 kilograms, about 10 times less than Earth. This affects the force of gravity. Gravity on Mars is 38 percent of Earth's gravity,
QUOTE (Google)

Earth and Venus are quite similar. Mars about 1/10th either.
*surprised face* oops, I didn't know it. It's ironic to think that when I was a child I believed Mars was bigger than Earth...
It's not. Venus is about 81% the mass of Earth whereas Mars is only about 10% the mass of Earth.
Venus has a diameter of about 7500miles whereas Mars is only about 4200 miles.

-Wolf sends
Thanks you too, I'm very suprised I really didn't think they were far from each other...
I'm not very strong in this and I'm showing it with a series of error, but these mistakes are needed to us both to improve my knowledge and to make you stronger in this field (I really hope that). Anyways, the fact remains that Earth's atmosphere isn't as thick as that of Venus.
Maybe I have already answered myself previously...
VS There you are. Two for the price of one. Simultaneously!

Cat
Wow, it's wonderful. I'm really sorry for not being here but I passed hard (and bad) times. Thanks again.

Mar 8, 2021
Visit site
Well...THAT was exhilarating! Check out Percy's first views of Jezero Crater!

EuiZR2xUcAMxfsq

EuiZrefVEAIc0GO
Wow, this is amazing!

Mar 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi
those dust wipers. Have you thought of something similar to a type of tortoise shell housing so that when news of a sandstorm is imminent the rover and helicopter could escape not it. Thats what we humans do on earth

Even if there were, we'd still not know what was happening until at least 11 minutes after the fact.

No crew, but the lander does send back telemetry. There are hundreds of sensors inside the spacecraft that are read out at high speed and the data is sent to Earth in real-time. But it takes 11 minutes for the data to get to Earth. The rover might be inside a smoking crater before we get even the first bit of data.

Assuming it goes well there will be a "film" the lander carries some csamera and a radar so we will be able to see the landing some hours or days later after the recording are send back to Earth and processed.

Can't wait to see us go to Mars. Space tech will blossom once we get out there for good. The Wright brothers flew in 1904, A mere 65 years later we were walking on the Moon.

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
As the former editor of Space Magazine and Helicopter World at Shephard Press, this is most exiting and could start a whole new way of planetary exploration.

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
L9D24k8.jpg

April 20th, 2021: Don't mind us, we're all just obsessing over Ingenuity's historic accomplishment. For anyone who hasn't seen footage of this amazing feat of engineering, check out the video below. And for everyone else who's already seen it, rewatch and obsess with us!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyHh1NbE5jI

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Image credit: NASA
Previously...

After setting off in the Summer last year, NASA's Perseverance rover finally landed on the red planet. For a few reasons, this is an exciting time to be a space enthusiast. First of all, this mission represents a the most promising cache of samples, adding to a whole lot of Mars exploration that focuses on how habitable this planet was. Additionally, part of this mission involves a helicopter, named Ingenuity, that launched with Perseverance. This aircraft be testing out what flying through the Martian atmosphere is like!

We'll be using this thread as our meeting place for all the amazing updates and news concerning all things Perseverance and Mars. Join the conversation!

Wow, stuck the landing & no explosion.

E. Musk

Apr 30, 2021
Visit site
How can it be that the helicopter didn't take even one clear high resolution image of the mars vehicle from above? It seems to me like the most trivial thing to do. No one at NASA thought of aiming the cameras there and taking a picture?

Very disappointing if you ask me.

Reactions: vincenzosassone
I got some answers here:

Do a search for "Space Man 2022" on this page.
Thank you for sharing. Now I can see why the photo didn't occur...
I want to share here the most promising answers (I don't think this isn't correct...)

"It would be madness to position an experimental helicopter directly over a multi billion dollar rover just to get an overhead picture. If it crashed into the rover the entire project would be toast. Why do you think they are flying Ingenuity from a distance?"

This is the most "correct" answer for me.
There is another:

"It would make for a cute pic, but we already know what the rover looks like. The job of Ingenuity is to take images of what we have not seen in close up before, i.e. the surface of Mars."

Jun 25, 2021
Visit site
L9D24k8.jpg

April 20th, 2021: Don't mind us, we're all just obsessing over Ingenuity's historic accomplishment. For anyone who hasn't seen footage of this amazing feat of engineering, check out the video below. And for everyone else who's already seen it, rewatch and obsess with us!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyHh1NbE5jI

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Image credit: NASA
Previously...

After setting off in the Summer last year, NASA's Perseverance rover finally landed on the red planet. For a few reasons, this is an exciting time to be a space enthusiast. First of all, this mission represents a the most promising cache of samples, adding to a whole lot of Mars exploration that focuses on how habitable this planet was. Additionally, part of this mission involves a helicopter, named Ingenuity, that launched with Perseverance. This aircraft be testing out what flying through the Martian atmosphere is like!

We'll be using this thread as our meeting place for all the amazing updates and news concerning all things Perseverance and Mars. Join the conversation!

Reactions: ImmortalMelvz
Nov 16, 2020
Visit site
All of this is exciting and new. Amazing technological feat. But when will the research begin on the sediments to examine them for evidence of life on Mars billions of years ago? That was the basic purpose of these rovers.

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
"We got our best-ever composition analysis of Martian dust before it even looked at rock,”

Has this composition been reported or published? Is it a chemical or mineralogical composition? The latter is the most important.
I`d like to mention one Mars rover mission that will be aimed at the exploration of the Martian surface and looking for some forms of life or traces of it. Rosalind Franklin rover by the European Space Agency. The mission is about to be launched next year. More detailed information you`ll be able to find on this website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts