Official SDC Bug Report Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nimbus

It looks like it happens when someone pastes html code in their post, and somewhere in it there's a formatting field that's not properly terminated. I've seen it happen before, though it was a very long time ago in 99 or so, when forum software was still pretty vulnerable to these sorts of bugs.

D

DrRocket

The "keep me logged in until I log out" feature does not work.

It seems to take an interminable number of clicks to navigate to the forums.

Basically the new format looks nice, but it doesn't work.

D

doublehelix

DrRocket":12hduyy3 said:

DrRocket, we are aware that the "keep me logged in until I log out" feature does not work.

When you say an "interminable number of clicks", can you give me a for instance?

-dh

D

DrRocket

doublehelix":6skam8io said:
DrRocket":6skam8io said:

DrRocket, we are aware that the "keep me logged in until I log out" feature does not work.

When you say an "interminable number of clicks", can you give me a for instance?

-dh

Assuming that the log in works, it now takes 5 clicks to get the forums where it used to take 1. I have not been able to log all day until now.

Also it seems impossible to get rid of a notice of a "new PM". Reading the PM doesn't seem to eliminate the notice. Neither does deleting the PM.

M

mental_avenger

Logging in again every time is a real pain. If I leave for only a few minutes, bang, I am logged out. Should be an easy fix, even pluck had it.

V

vogon13

Funny one:

My header avatar (right now) is the animated flame. The one on my posts is the Lost counter. Cool to have them both, but it probably won't last.

:cool:

M

MeteorWayne

mental_avenger":17rkiaqj said:
Logging in again every time is a real pain. If I leave for only a few minutes, bang, I am logged out. Should be an easy fix, even pluck had it.

I'm not having that problem, as long as I don't close my IE.

M

Mee_n_Mac

brandbll":1tew1hsa said:
My inbox reads "2 new messages" even though i have one message left and it's old and i deleted the other message.

I note that today I am not reading 2 new messages. The problem seems to have been fixed. Good works guys ... errr ... gals ... errr ... IT personnel.

S

SpeedFreek

DrRocket":32oamawp said:
doublehelix":32oamawp said:
DrRocket":32oamawp said:

-dh

Assuming that the log in works, it now takes 5 clicks to get the forums where it used to take 1. I have not been able to log all day until now.

Also it seems impossible to get rid of a notice of a "new PM". Reading the PM doesn't seem to eliminate the notice. Neither does deleting the PM.

Change your browser bookmark/favorite to http://www.space.com/common/forums/ and log in just below where it says "text size". Once logged in you are brought straight back to the board index, with one click to enter any forum and one click to enter any post, just as before.

Once they fix the "forgotten login" bug, it will need the same number of clicks to get anywhere as it did before, but with the added bonus of being able to jump straight to the first unread post in a thread with one click. If there have been a lot of new posts in a thread since you last looked, it takes you straight to the first new one. With pluck I had to go to the last page of a thread and work my way back, trying to remember the last post I had seen.

D

doublehelix

SpeedFreek":1ad1pzgl said:
Change your browser bookmark/favorite to http://www.space.com/common/forums/ and log in just below where it says "text size".

It's actually better to log in via the login box in the upper right hand corner of the page. My suspicion is that the phpBB login link (mentioned by SpeedFreek), may be a bit buggy and possibly causing some issues with login. I've alerted the product manager to it and we are looking into it.

-dh

S

SpeedFreek

Righty-ho. I notice that it makes no difference to the number of clicks I need to get into the forums too. If you start from the board index and log in, you come straight back to the index. I am not sure where Dr Rockets 5 clicks come from, I suspect he is using his old bookmark which now takes you to the community page, where it does take a few clicks to get here.

D

DrRocket

SpeedFreek":23nten2v said:
Righty-ho. I notice that it makes no difference to the number of clicks I need to get into the forums too. If you start from the board index and log in, you come straight back to the index. I am not sure where Dr Rockets 5 clicks come from, I suspect he is using his old bookmark which now takes you to the community page, where it does take a few clicks to get here.

You are correct, I am using the old forum bookmark.

But as of today, with no changes, it takes me directly to the forums, and the "stay logged in" function is working so I am back to the original 1 click.

T

The_Chef

I hiked "The Ghost of the Coyote" Trail this past weekend & would like to post the pix in my "Hiking in Arizona" thread, but I can't find it & probably couldn't post pix in it anyway.
Are there any suggestions on how I should proceed?

T

The_Chef

I just did a little checking & it looks like my "Hiking in Arizona" thread missed the Free Space cutoff by one day. :cry: Is there anyway to bring it back? Can I even post new pix in it if it is brought back?

S

Swampcat

The stay-logged-in function worked yesterday, but I had to log in again this morning.

Just thought I'd report that.

M

Mee_n_Mac

The_Chef":7g1s5pq7 said:
Can I even post new pix in it if it is brought back?

Only if you first post the pics online via a photohosting service like ImageShack or PhotoBucket or the like. Then here at SDC you provide the URL to the pic you want displayed. It's not like the Pluck system where you uploaded the pic file to the SDC server.

S

Smersh

Ooooooh goody I seem to be here. :p

I just tried logging in again and it works. Cheers DH and Imaginova IT people! :mrgreen:

S

SpeedFreek

DrRocket":3nlma1z2 said:
You are correct, I am using the old forum bookmark.

But as of today, with no changes, it takes me directly to the forums, and the "stay logged in" function is working so I am back to the original 1 click.

Yes, it seems like they have rerouted the old URL to the new forums, and fixed the login issue too. :D

D

doublehelix

Mee_n_Mac":2chqap3r said:
The_Chef":2chqap3r said:

Only if you first post the pics online via a photohosting service like ImageShack or PhotoBucket or the like.

I would recommend Flickr, too. It's free and you can upload I think 200 photos. For $25/year you can have unlimited uploads and file sizes. They encourage linking to one's own photos, too, and are set up to manage lots of people looking at pictures on their site. I'm a huge fan and think they provide excellent service, so this is a plug on a personal level, too.

-dh

T

thor06

This is sooo much better!!!
Had some probs yesterday 505's etc. Today it is seamless! Great work SDC! Noticed the open forum is gone.... awwwe what a shame....(sarcasm) :lol:

S

Smersh

Mee_n_Mac":2irqv6i2 said:
The_Chef":2irqv6i2 said:

Only if you first post the pics online via a photohosting service like ImageShack or PhotoBucket or the like. Then here at SDC you provide the URL to the pic you want displayed. It's not like the Pluck system where you uploaded the pic file to the SDC server.

For image hosting, I've been using Photobucket for a couple of years now. You get 1 gb of free space for photos and videos and my account says I have so far used only 65 mb (6%) of my allocated space. Here's all my photos, which are being displayed in various forums: http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/smersh_photos/

(It's nearly all photos, only a couple of videos.)

S

silylene

I note that it is possible to upload an image from your harddrive for the purpose of your avatar photo. So clearly, phpBB does have that technology ready for use in forum software.

Cane we please have the same functionality permitted for posts directly onto the forum? It would be a whole lot more convenient to have the option to be able to upload a photo directly from our hard drive. Even Pluck could do this.

thanks!

D

DrRocket

petet":3i3s3w8z said:
I note that it is possible to upload an image from your harddrive for the purpose of your avatar photo. So clearly, phpBB does have that technology ready for use in forum software.

Cane we please have the same functionality permitted for posts directly onto the forum? It would be a whole lot more convenient to have the option to be able to upload a photo directly from our hard drive. Even Pluck could do this.

thanks!

I would like to echo this request from petet, silylene, petilyne, silypet or whoever he is today. The ability to upload images directly makes for much more clear and complete communications. In fact, without that capability the loss in functionality for hard scientific discussions is nearly crippling.

It would be even better if the software could support use of Tex so that one could post real mathematics. This is available on some forums, notably here : http://www.thescienceforum.com/TeX-tutorial-12986t.php

D

doublehelix

This is the last time I'm going to say this: file uploading has been disabled in forums. Remember: once bitten, twice shy. We had some problems in the past with abuse of image uploading and are not interested in experiencing this again.

-dh

Status
Not open for further replies.