Official SDC Bug Report Thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mee_n_Mac

Mee_n_Mac":jjsig44d said:
Mee_n_Mac":jjsig44d said:
Space light did work properly at all times. When I'm back on that PC I'll see if it's still bonkers and if so, I'll see if I can capture a screenshot. That PC ran XP Pro and IE6 IIRC.

OK, I'm back on that notebook. After logging in I got the reverse video for the "space dark" theme. This is not happening at home on either of 2 PCs. I did capture a 52k JPG screenshot. I'll e-mail it to dh if I can't remember my password for the free image hosting site (imageshack).

OK now it's working. That is after closing IE and re-logging in I see the script for "space dark" execute. I get a flash of reverse video (white) and then the pleasing dark theme. Not sure why it's working now but I don't care.

Goood wrok there dh and crew ! ;)

C

centsworth_II

Why is almost everyone listed as having: "Joined: Tue Nov 30, 1999 12:00 am"?

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, I just noticed.

D

DrRocket

IE8 problem with posting window

I have just installed IE 8.

When trying to post a reply and quoting the original post, the window seems to want to stay centered. I can scroll to the bottom using the slider, but as soon as a key is depressed the slider returns to the window center and jumps around each time a key is struck. This obscures the words being entered at the bottom of the window, and makes for a very distracting display, as the whole thing jumps back and forth but settles at the center when keys are released. It makes for a lot of typos and great difficulty in correcting them since I can't see the corrections as they are entered.

This only seems to be a problem when the entire post does not fit in the window. I am having no such difficulties typing this message for instance.

D

doublehelix

I've forwarded this to our project manager. We're currently testing new things on IE8, fyi.

-dh

D

DrRocket

There seem to be some serious glitches with this new software that have been acknowledged, but against which no progress is evident.

1. The stay logged in feature simply does not work. No progress has been apparent since the implementation of the new software.
2. The software seems to log one out following some random number generator, with no rhyme or reason.
3. With IE8 the reply window, for posts larger than the small window itself, it is not possible to see what is being typed, or to select lines for deletion or to be moved. Sensible editing and formatting is virtually impossible.
4. The Cadillac ad apparently has the power to launch itself as a pop-up and to resist being closed. As part of the board it is apparently immune to the pop-up blocker.

These problems are apparently unique to the new software, as they are only problems on SDC boards. Other boards do not exhibit any of these problems.

I hate to say it , but it makes one remember Pluck fondly. The problems have gone from annoying to debilitating.

M

MeteorWayne

Interesting. From my IE7 POV, I don't have these problems. I stay logged in until a glitch occurs with my spyware program and the window closes without my choice.

I have had no problems with ads in the last 2 weeks.

Perhaps it's an IE8 problem, which I know they are looking at to debug.

S

Swampcat

DrRocket is correct about the login issue and I have IE7. I'd say I have to login about 95% of the time.

I haven't complained. I've just stopped coming here as often. :(

A

abq_farside

Swampcat":rw690e52 said:
DrRocket is correct about the login issue and I have IE7. I'd say I have to login about 95% of the time.

I have the same login issue using IE8 (and IE7 prior to this month). I think only once have not had to login. So I would put the percentage at 99%. I just quit worrying about it and login everytime.

M

Mee_n_Mac

abq_farside":3vaekexb said:
Swampcat":3vaekexb said:

I have the same login issue using IE8 (and IE7 prior to this month). I think only once have not had to login. So I would put the percentage at 99%. I just quit worrying about it and login everytime.

Like DrR said the login problem seems almost completely random and defies any rational explanation. I'll be logged in and leave and have to re-login just minutes later. Other times I'll stay logged in for days. In any case having to re-login is a small price to pay to be Pluck-free.

For me the reply window is OK but I'm still using IE7. Ads respect their boundaries and don't cause problems.

D

doublehelix

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Regarding the ad - I have notified our ad coordinator and the product manager, so the ball is in their court right now.

I've also contacted imaginova dev about the login issues. I know they have been occupied with a number of other projects, and community is not in the forefront of the project list, so that has an effect as to how much attention is being paid to things community. But the developers do know about the continuing login issues.

Thanks,
-dh

S

scottb50

DrRocket":1f2wwjjc said:
There seem to be some serious glitches with this new software that have been acknowledged, but against which no progress is evident.

4. The Cadillac add apparently has the power to launch itself as a pop-up and to resist being closed. As part of the board it is apparently immune to the pop-up blocker.

These problems are apparently unique to the new software, as they are only problems on SDC boards. Other boards do not exhibit any of these problems.

I hate to say it , but it makes one remember Pluck fondly. The problems have gone from annoying to debilitating.

I started a post in Free Space about this and was told to come here. As I type the Cadillac ad takes up the center of the upper part of this page. If I click on close it opens a full page questionaire from a local Chevy dealer. It is not confined to the Cadillac ad or more correctly they rotate ads in the window. I can't close it without leaving the page and coming even close to the ad puts it into action.

As I said in the other ad the BP ad, that is similar seems to be working correctly, it's just this GM ad that presents an issue.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: IE8 problem with posting window

DrRocket":j664c5ci said:

When trying to post a reply and quoting the original post, the window seems to want to stay centered. I can scroll to the bottom using the slider, but as soon as a key is depressed the slider returns to the window center and jumps around each time a key is struck. This obscures the words being entered at the bottom of the window, and makes for a very distracting display, as the whole thing jumps back and forth but settles at the center when keys are released. It makes for a lot of typos and great difficulty in correcting them since I can't see the corrections as they are entered.

This only seems to be a problem when the entire post does not fit in the window. I am having no such difficulties typing this message for instance.

I can confirm that this is how IE8 acts. It is quite annoying. I have to split my posts into several short ones in order to be able to see what I am writing.

It is IE8, since it occurred right at the IE7/IE8 transition.

Wayne

A

abq_farside

Re: IE8 problem with posting window

DrRocket":2jlhnue9 said:

I have noticed the exact same thing. Very annoying indeed.

D

doublehelix

DOH! Just posted this elsewhere:

Hey guys, we checked in on the IE8 situation. We're going to look into our version of phpbb and see what needs to be done to fix that bug. For now, though, you can choose Tools --> Compatibility View in the IE8 browser. You can then go to Compatibility View settings, where you can type in space.com in the text box, and that will run things here like it does on IE7. Beware: if you do this mid-typing of your post, it will refresh the page and all your text will go bye bye. :ugeek:

-dh

Hope this helps.

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

Thanx dh, worked great. In fact all I did was click on the compatibility icon, and it instantly changed back to IE7 style...didn't even have to go through the tools---> type in SDC stuff.

thanx!!!!

D

doublehelix

MeteorWayne":1s5y57di said:
Thanx dh, worked great. In fact all I did was click on the compatibility icon, and it instantly changed back to IE7 style...didn't even have to go through the tools---> type in SDC stuff.

thanx!!!!

Awesome! Glad that worked out for you. :mrgreen:

-dh

R

R1

It seems like almost every night at approximately 12:30am (ET) sdc freezes up.

By approximately 1am, however, everything is fine once again, provided I did not mess something up;
if I did, I have to reboot and log in again.

Is this a known bug? Or could it be something more local to me, I wonder.

D

doublehelix

R1":2dvixhwj said:

By approximately 1am, however, everything is fine once again, provided I did not mess something up;

Hmm... this is a new one; I've not heard other similar reports. Does anyone else experience this?

-dh

M

Mee_n_Mac

doublehelix":24fa1obh said:
R1":24fa1obh said:

Hmm... this is a new one; I've not heard other similar reports. Does anyone else experience this?

-dh

Yup. I wouldn't say it freezes exactly but it sure is slow. I just escape and come back much later. I don't know how long it lasts for. It sure is like the old SDC which did the same thing though I believe it was at 12:10 AM.

A

abq_farside

R1":22il8b3n said:

I noticed that last night and it was around 10:30 MT (12:30 am ET). It was just very slowing making a post and lasted for about 15-20 minutes or so.

R

R1

Ok, I think this explains many reported anomalies.
It's possible that the same situtation is being reported in various ways, such as slow, freezing, etc.

It happens on a scheduled basis, that much I've learned by now. It may or may not be related to
our sponsors, but apparently it's really harmless and happens almost like clockwork so that it
should not cause any problems.

If you take a break and avoid SDC activity only for half hour beginning after midnight
at 12:30am (eastern time) everything will be fine and no problem should be experienced.

My thought is that some kind of scheduled activity occurs at such time.
So simply take a break from sdc between 12:30 and 1:00am and everything will be fine.
Do not try to post at this time, or you will end up posting multiple times. Just relax, take a brak, and return
shortly after 1 a.m. (eastern time)

E

EarthlingX

SDC has misconfigured DNS and the problem, as far as i can see, has not been addressed yet.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19710

I could also explain why it sometimes works, but i probably should not do it on the public forum for security reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts