Official SDC Bug Report Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vogon13

Ever since I cleared my cookies last summer trying to fix one of several Pluck problems, I have never been able to be perma-logged anywhere on the Internet.

I assumed that not being logged on here all the time is a continuation of that Pluck problem, rather than a new challenge from the new forum software.

I am only speaking for myself here, Swampcat's issue might be different.

M

MeteorWayne

I don't have to log in again all the time, but usually if I've been off for 12 hours or more, I do have to. When Plucked, I didn't have to log in more than once a month or so, but it wasn't worth it :) No biggie to me.

D

DrRocket

MeteorWayne":28dwh5oc said:
I don't have to log in again all the time, but usually if I've been off for 12 hours or more, I do have to. When Plucked, I didn't have to log in more than once a month or so, but it wasn't worth it :) No biggie to me.

Not a biggie either, but my experience is a bit odd. If I have been away, I find that I have to log in to make a post. This despite the fact that it indicates that I am already logged in and my avatar shows up in the upper right hand corner and I appear to be logged in.

Let me re-ask a question here as well. Is there some provision for a spell-checker. It seems to not be present and my add-on IE spellchecker does not seem to be enabled in this new venue either.

M

Mee_n_Mac

DrRocket":3p4w4cgm said:
MeteorWayne":3p4w4cgm said:

Not a biggie either, but my experience is a bit odd. If I have been away, I find that I have to log in to make a post. This despite the fact that it indicates that I am already logged in and my avatar shows up in the upper right hand corner and I appear to be logged in.

Let me re-ask a question here as well. Is there some provision for a spell-checker. It seems to not be present and my add-on IE spellchecker does not seem to be enabled in this new venue either.

Sound like my report above ....

"Well I've got a new oddness to report. It would appear that I am simulataneously both logged in and logged out. Upon return to SDC after having previously logged in and having checked the "keep me logged in box", I see my avatar and nic in the upper right hand corner (Welcome ...) indicating that I am still logged in. However I can't see the FreeSpace forum nor do the last unread post icons appear ... indicating I am not logged in. Logging out and then logging back in resolves the issue and after this process everything is working. Now this has happened on my home PC (I don't recall having seen it on my work PC) twice. This first time I was logged in before all the login fixes (and nic login feature) and so I wrote it off as some incompatibility twix old loggin and new features. Then it happened again today. This is on an XP home and IE7 machine. I'll see if it happens on my other home machine and check again at work tomorrow. No big deal as it seems I have no problems getting (re)logged in but odd behavior nonetheless."

FWIW it happens at home and at work. I'd like to know what (different) criteria is used to display the welcome avatar and to displace FreeSpace. Two different cookies ?

G

gunsandrocketsreturn

Hello,

It looks like I will have to learn board navigation all over again so please bear with me.

I am the return of the old 'gunsandrockets'. When the upgrade took place I had to drop out because it was not compatible with my out of date system and I could no longer access the forums. I now have a new system and would like to participate again.

The problem is my old username and password would not work, so I re-registered under a slightly different name and new password. So what's up with that? Why does my old username/password no longer work? Can anything be done?

Thanx.

M

MasterSith

I just want my comment history to go back more than 5 articles. I want at least 10, if not 15 please. Not a huge request, but I'm tired of losing my conversations because I happen to be involved in several conversations and an article gets shoved into Neverland if I go beyond 5. Thanks.

Douglas
http://thespaceadvocate.blogspot.com/

A

abq_farside

Mee_n_Mac":2sf0n6oy said:
DrRocket":2sf0n6oy said:
MeteorWayne":2sf0n6oy said:

Sound like my report above ....

"Well I've got a new oddness to report. It would appear that I am simulataneously both logged in and logged out. Upon return to SDC after having previously logged in and having checked the "keep me logged in box", I see my avatar and nic in the upper right hand corner (Welcome ...) indicating that I am still logged in. However I can't see the FreeSpace forum nor do the last unread post icons appear ... indicating I am not logged in. Logging out and then logging back in resolves the issue and after this process everything is working. Now this has happened on my home PC (I don't recall having seen it on my work PC) twice. This first time I was logged in before all the login fixes (and nic login feature) and so I wrote it off as some incompatibility twix old loggin and new features. Then it happened again today. This is on an XP home and IE7 machine. I'll see if it happens on my other home machine and check again at work tomorrow. No big deal as it seems I have no problems getting (re)logged in but odd behavior nonetheless."

FWIW it happens at home and at work. I'd like to know what (different) criteria is used to display the welcome avatar and to displace FreeSpace. Two different cookies ?

I am seeing a similar thing - my question: Is logging into the SDC community the same as logging into the forums? It does not appear to be, at least for me.

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah there's something a bit wiggly about that. After I've been gone for a day, the upper right corner shows me logged in with my avatar, But right above the top forum, there's a link that says "login". When you are really logged in, it says "logout". So I know I am logged into SDC, but not logged in to the SDC forums. Just click on that "login" right above the forum list, and log in.

R

R1

Interesting reason/solution to possible difficulty uploading avatar:

Yesterday I found out that some avatars that are the proper dimensions (maximum 120x120 pixels), filesize (ceratin maximum KB filesize),
and file type (.JPG .GIF .PNG) will not upload.

But I also resolved it and thus found a possible solution, if not the exact reason and solution:

An avatar may possibly have too many colors. As I stated, I tried to upload one which otherwise fit the specifications but could not.

1) So what I did is I opened the file with my paint program and re-saved it using a maximum of 256 colors .
2) The I re-opened this new file (the one with 256 colors), and re-saved it yet again, this time as a standard jpg.

...and everything worked just fine.

E

earth_bound_misfit

MeteorWayne":3uwymr2m said:
Yeah there's something a bit wiggly about that. After I've been gone for a day, the upper right corner shows me logged in with my avatar, But right above the top forum, there's a link that says "login". When you are really logged in, it says "logout". So I know I am logged into SDC, but not logged in to the SDC forums. Just click on that "login" right above the forum list, and log in.

Plus 1. Just popped in to whine about the same issue.
Also DH, looking nice today ;)

D

doublehelix

Thanks. :)
Glad you're enjoying the board. :geek:

We just completed a fix regarding being able to stay logged in (you should be able to stay logged in!). I wonder if you simply have to log out and log back in completely for this login anomaly MW points out, to be resolved. Give it a try and report back here to let us know how it works out.

-dh

G

gunsandrockets

New problem

Well I can log-in, read and post on the forums, and log-off just fine but...

I can't access my options/control panel no matter which link I click on. It only brings me to the log-on page instead. :?

Could someone please fix the glitch?

D

doublehelix

gunsandrockets":sh8sdsye said:
New problem

Well I can log-in, read and post on the forums, and log-off just fine but...

I can't access my options/control panel no matter which link I click on. It only brings me to the log-on page instead. :?

Could someone please fix the glitch?

This is a known bug and is in the queue.

If you re-log on again, it should take you where you want to go. We apologize for the hassle, though. :geek:

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

Still having a problem on Live Science (Not here on SDC) with the new posts function not working properly. I clear out all unread posts, and the next time I log in, weeks of posts all show as not having been read.

A

abq_farside

Not exactly where I should ask this as it is not a bug, but it would be nice if when generating PM's, they had the same editing tools available as in when posting to a thread. At least when replying I did not notice many editing options.

D

doublehelix

abq_farside":1tzfctyx said:
Not exactly where I should ask this as it is not a bug, but it would be nice if when generating PM's, they had the same editing tools available as in when posting to a thread. At least when replying I did not notice many editing options.

This may come later down the line, but for now the PMs will be very basic.

-dh

S

Swampcat

doublehelix":2cx0nvoa said:
Thanks. :)
Glad you're enjoying the board. :geek:

We just completed a fix regarding being able to stay logged in (you should be able to stay logged in!). I wonder if you simply have to log out and log back in completely for this login anomaly MW points out, to be resolved. Give it a try and report back here to let us know how it works out.

-dh

dh, I just wanted to report that at least once a day I'm still having to login. I've logged off completely a couple of times, but it hasn't helped.

In the upper right corner, it shows me logged in, but I have no idea what I'm logged into :? . I still have to login to see Free Space and post.

Just thought you'd like to know.

BTW, I like the new colors, but the mouseover color change could go away and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. IMO, it's too light.

D

drwayne

I can confirm something like this. Returning after a logoff on my computer - be it simply closing all
explorer windows or powering off - one gets a page in which my picture is in the upper right corner,
with a "Log out" available and operational, but the forums that are visible are representative of
being logged off.

It is not completely reproducible, sometimes I return and I am still fully logged in. Sometimes
I am only sort-of logged in.

Note that when I am in the "sort of" logged in state, it *will* let me logoff. Logging back in
afterwards yields a fully logged in state.

Wayne

D

DrRocket

drwayne":ke4qbn5z said:
I can confirm something like this. Returning after a logoff on my computer - be it simply closing all
explorer windows or powering off - one gets a page in which my picture is in the upper right corner,
with a "Log out" available and operational, but the forums that are visible are representative of
being logged off.

It is not completely reproducible, sometimes I return and I am still fully logged in. Sometimes
I am only sort-of logged in.

Note that when I am in the "sort of" logged in state, it *will* let me logoff. Logging back in
afterwards yields a fully logged in state.

Wayne

My experience mirrors yours. It is getting annoying.

M

MeteorWayne

For now, you just need to realize that the upper right corner thing doesn't mean much. Just above the forum list is your user name. If it says logout, it means you are logged in. Of is says login, it means you are logged out. All in all, it's a small price to pay in return for not being PLUCKED. The login issue is a bit wonky here on SDC.

Trust me, on Live Science (which requires a separate login, even if the upper right corner says you are logged in) it's far worse, where the "New Post" function doesn't work.

I'm sure they are working on it, but it might take some time. Keep posting if you are having problems, so it doesn't get forgotten.

M

Mee_n_Mac

New bug .....

Yesterday or the the day before I switched over from "space light" to "space dark". All was good until today. I noticed that when viewing the list of forums sometime it would appear to be a reversed video of the "space dark" theme. It's now stuck that way on my home and work PCs. I went and changed back to the "light" scheme and it was light. Changing back to "dark" still gets me reverse video. I note then when viewing a list of threads in a forum (or reading/writing a post) this does not happen. The "space dark" color theme works as desired. WT ?

D

doublehelix

Mee_n_Mac":20kk5xrs said:
New bug .....

Yesterday or the the day before I switched over from "space light" to "space dark". All was good until today. I noticed that when viewing the list of forums sometime it would appear to be a reversed video of the "space dark" theme. It's now stuck that way on my home and work PCs. I went and changed back to the "light" scheme and it was light. Changing back to "dark" still gets me reverse video. I note then when viewing a list of threads in a forum (or reading/writing a post) this does not happen. The "space dark" color theme works as desired. WT ?

Can you please send me a screenshot, MnM? That would help very much. Send it to community [at] imaginova [dot] com.

Just for clarification, does the space light theme work properly?

Also, what browser are you using and what is your operating system?

Thanks,

-dh

N

nimbus

Doublehelix can help you.. Email her unless she's already read this and gotten in contact with you.

M

Mee_n_Mac

doublehelix":1oyvqx4k said:
Mee_n_Mac":1oyvqx4k said:
New bug .....

Can you please send me a screenshot, MnM? That would help very much. Send it to community [at] imaginova [dot] com.

Just for clarification, does the space light theme work properly?

Also, what browser are you using and what is your operating system?

Thanks,

-dh

Space light did work properly at all times. When I'm back on that PC I'll see if it's still bonkers and if so, I'll see if I can capture a screenshot. That PC ran XP Pro and IE6 IIRC.

M

Mee_n_Mac

Mee_n_Mac":1bl8it8z said:
Space light did work properly at all times. When I'm back on that PC I'll see if it's still bonkers and if so, I'll see if I can capture a screenshot. That PC ran XP Pro and IE6 IIRC.

OK, I'm back on that notebook. After logging in I got the reverse video for the "space dark" theme. This is not happening at home on either of 2 PCs. I did capture a 52k JPG screenshot. I'll e-mail it to dh if I can't remember my password for the free image hosting site (imageshack).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts