old short story

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dannyd

Decades ago I read a ss about the landing of a spacecraft on the Russian Steppes back a thoussand years ago. The aliens lowered a ramp to egress and a bunch of Genkgis Khan-types on horseback charged immediately up and into the craft and put the stunned and uncomprehending aliens inside to the sword. That's all I remember - does it ring a bell with anyone?<br />thanks -dannyd

A

alek_a

Sounds like a part of A.C. Clarke's roman "Time's eye", but that one is not that old.

S

spacefire

sounds pretty unbelievable...any civilization capable of interstellar flight has already had a bunch of conflicts and thus possess advanced weaponry and are more than willing to use it to defend themselves.<br />So a more plausible story would have been that the aliens kill Ghenghis Khan and thus change the bloodlines of the entire continent and in our present times half the people of Europe are redheaded. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>http://asteroid-invasion.blogspot.com</p><p>http://www.solvengineer.com/asteroid-invasion.html </p><p> </p> </div>

Q

qso1

At the very least, said aliens should have had a detection system capable of detecting Ghengis Khans hordes approaching their craft. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

D

dannyd

Years and years ago I read a story (Asimov?) about the ultimate mega-machine. The story focused on a massive, city-sized, grain harvester that trundled over the midwest plains. Any use dudes and dudesses recall this? thanks dannyd.

V

vogon13

Doesn't sound like an Asimovian tale to me.<br /><br />Harryhousen?<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

A

adzel_3000

Hmmmm...<br /><br />If you had said 14th Century Britain rather than Eurasia during the reign of the Mongols I would have suggested Poul Anderson's "The High Crusade."<br /><br />In this novel a starship lands in a British town as the population is preparing to go on a Crusade. They are able to take over the vessel and force the aliens (who are themselves marauders) to fly them off on a variety of adventures.<br /><br />Its not one of Anderson's better works but he did tell it rather tongue in cheek and wrote it for fun. I think it was made into a movie (I've never seen it) but I have been told it was a real disaster.<br /><br />Hope that helps...<br /><br />A3K

D

dannyd

Thank you Adzel - of course, that was it. Isn't it something how one's memory can fill in gaps with BS? The Russian Steppes - Genghis Khan- WTF? I hate to think how much more BS my aging mind has manufactured for me. <br />-dannyd (I think)

A

aen1585

Can someone tell me the name of a Sci-Fi movie about a man that tried to commit suicide at the instant a lab experiment went wrong and he awoke to find only a few people were alive, all of which had died at the same insant. I believe the movie was based in Australia. In the movie the man hooks up with a women and tried to avert another catastrophe in time-space by driving a truck of explosives into something.

Status
Not open for further replies.