Orbiting Hotel to launch in 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holmec

Do I hear the beginnings of a orbital hotel race with this announcement?? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

N

nec208

I was reading there is some other companies they could do it by 2011 I will see if I can find the link.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Space hotel 2012

Well, I see one immediate problem with the plan:

"During their stay, guests would see the sun rise 15 times a day and travel around the world every 80 minutes. They would wear velcro suits so they can crawl around their pod rooms by sticking themselves to the walls like Spiderman"

The elevation required for an 80 minute orbit is 227 km below the earth's surface which is going to really cut down on the view, and cause significant heating probems that I think a velcro suit won't protect you from :)

T

tanstaafl76

I'm calling BS on them having paying customers in there by 2012.

M

mark_d_s

tanstaafl76":279plftr said:
I'm calling BS on them having paying customers in there by 2012.

Why? All they have to do is design, build and test the modules. Oh, and of course the launch vehicle. Nearly forgot the ground support/infrastructure. Then there's the minor point of resupply. And training. And flight crews. I suppose there's also the recovery of the vehicles. No big deal.

How hard can it be? ;)

E

Eman_3

The proposed Galactic Suite scheme would involve an eight week training program in a luxurious location in the Carribean, then three days in space at a cost of 4.4 million dollars.

M

MeteorWayne

mainmind":2wyf482t said:
They are getting coverage on Reuters, too:
http://www.reuters.com/news/video?video ... oChannel=6

Why do no news organizations have any tech / engineering editors who can recognize BS when they see it? Or at least ask some probing questions? This link has video of the supposed CEO, but no questions.

Sadly, because there are no longer any news organizations who have skilled people who would recognize BS if they saw it :)

N

nimbus

It's nuts. They will hammer NASA for having "boring" probes that "can't even shovel sand into an oven" (Phoenix), and insist focusing on minor technical difficulties during a launch at the expense of great science or other accomplishment during the launch and mission (Shuttle launches), and insist that mission staff should have data digested like in the LCROSS post impact conference, etc.. But they'll totally fall for hype like this.

B

Boots09

Sounds like a scam for sure. But I do think it will be tourism that eventually get humans into space in large numbers.

S

stevekk

Boots09":3bb2gn5r said:
Sounds like a scam for sure. But I do think it will be tourism that eventually get humans into space in large numbers.

It's obvoiusly not going to happen by 2012, but the overall concept isn't bad.

For only 4 million bucks, you get an extended vacation on a tropical island and a 3 day stay in space.

Considering the Russians are selling training in a much colder climate and trips to the ISS for 20-25 million, this sounds great. Now, all they need to do is purchase that tropical island and the flight hardware. It looked like 4 "tourists" per flight, plus 2 pilots. That means each launch happens for less than 16 million. Who has any type of vehicle on the drawing board that can launch under those cost constraints ?

R

radarredux

Re:

lampblack":2hcc63wv said:
To give them their due, the 80 minutes probably came from a reporter exercising a bit of poetic license under the guise of journalism.
Sadly, it is boldly promoted on their web site several times. :(

Even the CGI is cheesy. If this guy is taking down payments for reservations, he must have a brother who is a retired Nigerian general.

T

tampaDreamer

MeteorWayne":4jq81cey said:
The elevation required for an 80 minute orbit is 227 km below the earth's surface which is going to really cut down on the view, and cause significant heating probems that I think a velcro suit won't protect you from :)

"Heating Problems"

Classic :)

Gotta love engineers.. they can turn an explosion into a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts