planetary temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

androo20

Does anyone know the algebraic equation for calculating planetary temperature? I know it involves (pi)R^2 * Flux * (1-Albedo) and 4(pi)R^2 * (constant)T^4 and somehow combining these equations.....<br /><br />any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

T

titanian

Here is a calculator which calculates the surface temperature of any planet based on the Stefan's law. It takes into account the albedo, the size of the star, the surface temperature of the star, the distance but the atmospheric factors ( greenhouse or anti greenhouse effects...) are not considered. You can change the parameters.<br />www.titanexploration.com/temperatureplanet.htm<br />or go to www.titanexploration.com and then click on the link planetary calculations.<br /><br />For the equation:<br />Solar energy received:<br />5.67 10pow minus 8 multiplied by ( sun radius / distance )pow2 multiplied sun temperature pow4<br />For Earth it is roughly 1400 watts square meter second.<br /><br />Stefan's law: (1400 multiplied ( 1 minus albedo)) divided by 4 = 5.67 multiplied by 10 pow-8 multiplied by temperature kelvin pow4.<br />Hence, you can infer the theoretical surface temperature.<br /><br />Sorry for using special terms but I have here the key board of a portable computer. I hope you will take the time to decrypt the equations.

Y

yevaud

This gives a fair amount of information and examples as well:<br /><br />http://www.dangermouse.net/gurps/science/temps.html <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.