Please help with names

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunoverla

I live in Los Angeles, and last night (08/07/05) at around 9pm the crescent moon glided across the night sky with a beautiful star at its lower tip. What planst/star was it?! The sight was beautiful.<br /><br />Also, NW from the moon's lower tip was another star/planet, what planet/star was it?!<br /><br />Amazing!!<br /><br />Thanks

E

eosophobiac

It was probably Venus. I don't live on the left coast, but I'm going to say that's what it was. There is a pretty good interactive star chart at Sky & Telescope dot com, (someone here told me about it and you can get quite a bit of useful info from it). You can enter your location and time and all, and it'll show you the sky as it would look in your area. Here's the link for you to try:<br />http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/skychart/article_1220_1.asp <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

P

petepan

Actually it was Venus, i saw it myself last night. It was a splendid sight, was it not?<br /><br />A slight crescent moon with Venus at about the 7-8 o'clock position (for me in Australia anyway), and did you notice the 'Earthshine' reflecting off the 'dark' side of the Moon also?<br /><br />Jupiter was the other planet out last night (Early on) but was a lot higher in the sky.

M

mirak

Tomorrow night 8/9/05 the cresent moon will be very close to Jupiter at about 9:00 mtn time. Jupiter will be at about 11:00, above and to the left of the upper tip of the moon. Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.