Question about the 'Dark Flows'

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

weeman

<p>I have a question that I was hoping to have answered in another thread. It concerns the recently discovered "dark flows" of galaxies in the universe. </p><p>If we are seeing these "dark flows" at the edge of the observable universe (and beyond), does it possibly mean that this event was taking place during the universe's dark age? If the flow appears to be coming out of a region of space that is beyond our observable universe, then wouldn't it be taking place at the point in time when the universe cooled enough so that light could emerge from the time known as the "dark age"?&nbsp; </p><p>Our visible limit is about 13.7 billion lightyears, due to the age of the universe. Anytime before that we are essentially looking back to a time before the universe was transparent, correct? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Techies: We do it in the dark. </font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>"Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.</strong><strong>" -Albert Einstein </strong></font></p> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I have a question that I was hoping to have answered in another thread. It concerns the recently discovered "dark flows" of galaxies in the universe. If we are seeing these "dark flows" at the edge of the observable universe (and beyond), does it possibly mean that this event was taking place during the universe's dark age? If the flow appears to be coming out of a region of space that is beyond our observable universe, then wouldn't it be taking place at the point in time when the universe cooled enough so that light could emerge from the time known as the "dark age"?&nbsp; Our visible limit is about 13.7 billion lightyears, due to the age of the universe. Anytime before that we are essentially looking back to a time before the universe was transparent, correct? <br />Posted by <strong>weeman</strong></DIV><br /><br />If I've properly understood what been observed then I'd answer no.&nbsp; What I think has been seen is&nbsp;luminous objects moving in directions and speeds that don't quite make sense.&nbsp; That we are observing something luminous means it's after the "dark ages".&nbsp; I believe the objects are various galaxies and so it's farly well after the "dark ages" that these came into exisitence. One initial conjecture is that perhaps these objects are being pulled&nbsp;by gravitational forces from other objects that lie beyond our light cone.&nbsp; Or the early universe was more chaotic than we've thought which is hard to explain given the uniformity of the CMBR.&nbsp; Could these flows have been in place and happening during the "dark ages" and then persisted until after the intial formation of galaxies ... beats me. I can't answer that part of your question. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.