Scaled accident preliminary report

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Aviation Week link....<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p><b>Oxidizer Tank Suspected In 2007 Scaled Composites Explosion</b><br /><br />Feb 8, 2008<br /><br /><font color="yellow"><b>A preliminary report into the explosion that killed three Scaled Composites workers last summer during development tests of the SpaceShipTwo (SS2) rocket engine points to oxidizer tank failure as a potential cause.<br /><br />The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Cal/OSHA) report, published today, says "The workers had transferred the nitrous oxide from the [mobile conditioning system] into the propulsion equipment apparatus tank mounted on the test stand. The catastrophic explosion occurred about 3s after the [cold nitrous oxide] flow began."</b></font><br /><br />Cal/OSHA's bureau of investigation also submitted evidence for review to the Kern County district attorney's office, which is deciding whether to press criminal or civil charges against Scaled.<br /><br />The Mojave, Calif.-based company, which has revised its workplace procedures, says it also continues to co-operate with the safety agency on the investigation.<br /><br />Scaled has meanwhile appealed $25,870 in fines Cal/OSHA levied in January for failing to provide "effective information and training of the health and physical hazards associated with nitrous oxide." This was the propellant used during the 'cold-flow' test of the SS2 engine component that ended in the July 26, 2007, explosion on a remote part of Mojave Air and Space Port. Violations specifically cited by Cal/OSHA included failure to maintain a safe working environment, and failure to properly train workers in the handling of hazardous materials.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

Testing

I declined to post this when I saw it Monday. Pressure vessles are supposed to be certified/ <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

Even certified pressure vessels fail, as I found out long ago when a huge 02 tankin one of our early angiography suites did a move right out of a Mythbusters episode; <br /><br />it fell (nurse failed to properly secure the restraining chain), the neck broke off on a footstool and it rocketed through 3 walls and an occupied waiting room on its way to the parking lot. <br /><br />Fortunately the only human damages suffered were the brown stains in about 30 pairs of underwear. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

U

usn_skwerl

supposed to be, yes, but keep in mind that even some of the pressure vessels on the shuttle, though still able to last another 10 years, just ran out of being guaranteed. Essential personnel only, when the He2 tanks are pressurized on the pad. Basically my point is that NASA's procedures are a wee little bit more dangerous right now, than Scaled is... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.