Sci Fi Book Quiz Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

strandedonearth

HorseClans.<br /><br />Yay, my turn, should be easy...<br /><br />A series written about a world where a genetically engineered breed of creatures is used to fight a deadly scourge that falls from the sky....

Y

yevaud

The <i>Pern</i> series.<br /><br />My turn.<br /><br />The Bartender and the Dog are both pretty weird. We won't even get into the regulars.<br /><br />[This should be really easy] <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

L

larper

Callahan series, by Spider Robinson. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Another winner.<br /><br />Following an accident, he develops a psychic power, which help him in his job.<br /><br />[Another easy one] <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

I knew that<br />{Bzzzzttttt} <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

jsmoody

How about...the time traveling unwed mother?<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> No amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi </div>

Y

yevaud

That was a Heinlein short story, was it not? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

D

dougdegraw

Could be several of his Lazarus Long stories with Maureen Johnson, or other characters

Y

yevaud

Also true.<br /><br />I was thinking of the story, "All Of You Zombies." <br /><br />[Edited as I posted the wrong story name] <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

jsmoody

Not a Lazarus Long story and not All You Zombies... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> No amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi </div>

Y

yevaud

You got me then. Dunno. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

jsmoody

I'll give it a while longer...maybe someone will come up with it. A hint - it <i>was</i> a Heinlein short story.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> No amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi </div>

D

dougdegraw

Can't think of the title right now, but you are referring to the one when they are all in the cave?

J

jsmoody

No, not that one. The only characters are a young man, a young girl, an old man and a baby....and they all have something in common..... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> No amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi </div>

Y

yevaud

That does describe "all you Zombies" to a "T." <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

jsmoody

Okay, sorry, looks like I got to stories mixed up. I was thinking it was By His Bootstraps. But when I searched, it seems All You Zombies is the title....not sure how I got them mixed up, I thought that the By His Bootstraps story was named that because he had no beginning...all of the people in the story are the same person....I coulda sworn it was By His Bootstraps....they didn't change the name did they? :) Sorry for the confusion. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> No amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi </div>

Y

yevaud

You want a good laugh? If you look at my first response to you, I edited it and it says "edited as I posted the wrong story name." The original story name I posted as my answer was "by his own bootstraps.'<br /><br />Note to self: cease second-guessing yourself, and go with your first answer! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

jsmoody

Sorry, I guess I edited my post while you were answering... <br /><br />So you did have it right. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> No amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi </div>

Y

yevaud

Nope. I changed my answer, and won't accept a "win" in so doing. Fair is fair. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

jmilsom

Speaking of babies, let me post one:<br /><br />In which novel is a severely ******** baby the brains behind an anti-gravity mechanism? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Y

yevaud

<i>More than Human</i> by Theodore Sturgeon.<br /><br />[I've read it previously]<br /><br />Still your turn though, post another try. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

jmilsom

OK. In which SciFi novel do people send messages via towers that wink patterns of light? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jmilsom

No bites?<br /><br />Let me give a little more info. The people on this planet are the descendents of an earth ship that crashed there. <br /><br />Small villages communicate with each other via towers that are sixty to ninety feet high. The towers are constructed by Larceners.<br /><br />The towers contain lamps and shutters. The latter are opened and closed by a series of 18 tap-rods controlled by a Master Hoodwink! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jmilsom

Still no takers? Final clues:<br /><br />There is no land on this planet. The world encompassing sea is shallower at the equator and people live on giant lily pads. The hero / villain is one Sklar Hast.<br /><br />One of my favourite non-serious SciFi books. I've read it many times! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jmilsom

The book is <i>The Blue World</i> by Jack Vance. <br /><br />OK. Let me pose one that is bound to more well known:<br /><br />This book is about a time traveller who goes back to Palestine in the year 29AD! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts