Sci Fi Book Quiz Thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmilsom

Have I scared everyone away from this thread?<br /><br />More clues then: the main character is Karl Glogauer. This is a quite a controversial book. It is often listed in top 50 scifi lists. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

venator_3000

Behold the Man?<br /><br />by Moorcock<br /><br />I think Karl also appears in Dancers. There was time travel in that as well.<br /><br />Can't say I've read Moorcock since college, though.<br /><br />v3k <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

venator_3000

I always thought it was a well done story. And a fairly classic what-if. I suppose movie makers have taken folks back to that time, everything from the Life of brian to The Greatest Story Ever Told and the Passion of Christ. Good movies, but a combination of biblical and historical fiction. <br /><br />Also, many composers, down through the ages, have done an immortal and amazing job of evoking the emotion of the story (Christ's , not Karls's!)<br /><br />v3k <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jmilsom

Yes. That's correct! Would you like to pose the next quiz? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

venator_3000

Hmmm...okay, I'll give it a try.<br /><br />This novel is set during the Cold War. An explosion destroys a super-secret Western base near Russia's border. The Russians rescue one survivor and then return him to the West. <br /><br />I'd like the name of the book and the author, please.<br /><br />v3k <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Y

yevaud

<i>The Cardinal of the Kremlin</i> by Tom Clancy? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

V

venator_3000

OK, another clue.<br /><br />The survivor is horribly disfigured. When the survivor is returned to the West the authorities are unsure whether it is the same person or a spy pretending to be a scientist from the destroyed base.<br /><br />v3k <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

K

Kraken

<p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="2"><font face="Times New Roman">Heres another one. It was a short story, pretty old.<span>&nbsp; </span></font></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="2">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2">These people are on an alien planet studying the ruins of an ancient civilization. It then flashes back to why the civilization fell&hellip;</font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="2">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2">This scientist sues a museum of forgeries and claims one of their artefacts is genuine. He wins his case and reveals he has developed a machine for measuring the intensity of art. This machine revolutionises the art world and eventually they develop a pill that gives people aesthetic sensations, which causes civilization to collapse.</font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="2">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2">It was really good. I read it some time ago and cant think of its name. Please help.</font></p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS