Scientists beam solar power to Earth from space for 1st time ever

I didn't see two things I should have seen in the article.

First of all, the microwave will NOT be pulsed microwave, but steady microwave. There is a vast, a vastly important, difference.

Secondly, as Gerard K. O'Neill, among others, decades ago, pointed out, the only possible way to construct and maintain large scale solar power satellites on a volume basis cost effective enough in space is to colonize space first and do the job of construction and maintenance from that end down. No matter what Earth-side scientists and engineeers think they can do from Earth-side up, the costs will be unbearably untenable from Earth-side up.

It would be the same with trying to base the Moon the do the job, skipping the step of space basing on a permanent basis. The costs will run over returns and past any ability to pay.

Last edited:
Even if it wasn’t weaponized, just if the spacecraft misaligned, a wrong aim would have bad effects on the ground.
And would it require ‘no fly zones’ in the area?

I realize that they would steady state transmissions, I was referring to the signal strength in the event that the satellite mis-aims and transmits elsewhere (mishaps do happen). But, I read the Wikipedia article about space power satellites, where a signal in the gigawatt range would be spread out to perhaps over 10 sq km, hence the signal per unit area is low. But that also means huge areas would be used for these receivers, and they would be no-fly zones. Not sure what effect this would have on wildlife within the receiver zone.

I realize that they would steady state transmissions, I was referring to the signal strength in the event that the satellite mis-aims and transmits elsewhere (mishaps do happen). But, I read the Wikipedia article about space power satellites, where a signal in the gigawatt range would be spread out to perhaps over 10 sq km, hence the signal per unit area is low. But that also means huge areas would be used for these receivers, and they would be no-fly zones. Not sure what effect this would have on wildlife within the receiver zone.
What effect? According to my readings, and I'm no expert, professional or otherwise, there will be no more effect than any other, standard, receptions from space. Less effect on life than many it will mingle with from space.

Even at 10 sq km for a gigawatt, that is still something like 10 watts per square foot on the ground. Google "biological effects of microwaves" and read some of the articles. That level doesn't seem to have immediate effects from short-term exposure, but it does seem to have long-term effects. So, perhaps a short misalignment would not cause issues for accidentally exposed humans, but constant exposure to wildlife and maybe human workers would seem to be an issue to be considered in detail.

Latest posts