Shenzhou 7 planned launch September 25th

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I understand that they plan to have the EVA on the first day in space, doesn't leave any adaptaion time for space sickness. If he throws up out their I assume it's over, and I don' just mean the EVA...Although as mentioned by others, there have been other early mission EVAs so I guess they would just make the call depending on how well he (they have not annouced the creww or who is planned to do the EVA) adapts.&nbsp;Best of luck to the Chinese crew and for a safe mission.&nbsp; <br />Posted by ozspace</DIV></p><p>The first spacewalk mission (Voskhod 2) lasted one day, the second (Gemini 4) lasted four days.&nbsp; So there is a precedent for this.</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><font size="2">Shenzhou 7 launches at between 13:07 and 14:07 UT,<span style="font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial">&nbsp; The launch will be broadcast live on the internet with English commentary on http://www.cctv-9.com/2005/default.asp?videoName=live&videoSpeed=100</span></font></p><p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial">God speed Sz 7!</span></font></p><p><font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial">Jon</span></font></p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Z

Zipi

<p>This is probably a better site and stream to watch:</p><p>&nbsp;http://www.cctv.com/english/special/Shenzhou7/01/index.shtml</p><p>It is using P2P technology for streaming, so it will be a littlebit behind from actual live, but I guess it is not over one minute behind... So almost live stream, but should work better.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Y

yoda9999

<p>You can also download the free TVU Player from tvunetworks.com.&nbsp;Live coverage is&nbsp;on channel&nbsp;"10093 CCTV News".</p>

Z

Zipi

<p>They are still going strong.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>BTW: The link I gave works only with Internet Explorer, sorry Firefox & other&nbsp;users.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>They are still going strong.&nbsp;BTW: The link I gave works only with Internet Explorer, sorry Firefox & other&nbsp;users. <br />Posted by Zipi</DIV><br /><br />MSNBC is reporting a successful launch, even showed 60 seconds of video. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Y

yoda9999

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This is probably a better site and stream to watch:&nbsp;http://www.cctv.com/english/special/Shenzhou7/01/index.shtmlIt is using P2P technology for streaming, so it will be a littlebit behind from actual live, but I guess it is not over one minute behind... So almost live stream, but should work better. <br />Posted by Zipi</DIV><br /></p><p>Thanks for that link! It's good to hear this in English!</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks for that link! It's good to hear this in English! <br />Posted by yoda9999</DIV><br /><br />Unfortunately, it never worked for me. Perhaps the site was swamped by the time I tried to connect.</p><p>The video box came up, but it never started. Oh well, happy to hear they were sucessful.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Y

yoda9999

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Unfortunately, it never worked for me. Perhaps the site was swamped by the time I tried to connect.The video box came up, but it never started. Oh well, happy to hear they were sucessful. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />No big deal, cuz people are already&nbsp;uploading the videos on youtube now. LOL

A

aphh

Any word on the orbital parameters? Can we see them from the ground?<br />

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Any word on the orbital parameters? Can we see them from the ground? <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />Yes, they can be seen from the ground. Not particularly bright (It's a small capsule) but the Heavens-abobe page has a link just for it.</p><p>http://heavens-above.com/</p><p>Be sure to select your correct location before clicking on the link for the craft.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Yes, they can be seen from the ground. Not particularly bright (It's a small capsule) but the Heavens-abobe page has a link just for it.http://heavens-above.com/Be sure to select your correct location before clicking on the link for the craft. <br /></DIV><br /><br />Here are the orbital parameters, not too good for you I'm afraid as the inclination is only 42 degrees.</p><p><table border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"><tbody><tr><td>Epoch (UTC):

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">Here are the orbital parameters, not too good for you I'm afraid as the inclination is only 42 degrees.Epoch (UTC): 14:18:43, Thursday, September 25, 2008Eccentricity: 0.0098279Inclination: 42.4086&deg;Perigee height: 200 kmApogee height: 331 kmRight Ascension of ascending node: 194.014&deg;Argument of perigee: 124.755&deg;Revolutions per day: 16.03258289Mean anomaly at epoch: 236.262&deg;Orbit number at epoch: 1 <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>Thanks Wayne for the orbital data. I'm too far north as well.<br /></strong></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>Very well done China. My wife is quite rightly proud of today's launch.<br /></strong></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>The Chinese are catching up & quickly, I said they would & they are. Lets hope now we get the real international co-operation on both manned & unmanned spaceflight. NASA, ESA, JAXA, certainly have cut it with deep space unmanned scientific exploration, NASA, Russia & now China are the bigger players with human spaceflight, both demonstrating technologies & science, for goodness pool your strengths together all of you please. </strong></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>We'll all be knocked sidewise as to how soon a human mission to Mars would be if that happened. India too is worthy of consideration.<br /></strong></font> </p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>Like the rocket cam also onboard the Shenzhou 7.&nbsp;</strong></font></p><p><font size="5">1' 11" YouTube video of the launch of Shenzhou 7.</font>&nbsp;</p><p><strong><font size="2" color="#000000">Andrew Brown.&nbsp;</font></strong></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

A

asj2006

Watched the video. Congrats to China's space agency and good luck to the Taikonauts. Hopefully, this will lead to plans to have a manned moon base and better yet, a manned trip to Mars - all before I pass on to the next level, of course ;-) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p>Fantastic achievement, looking forward to the spacewalk.&nbsp; I hope they increase their mission frequency.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">Fantastic achievement, looking forward to the spacewalk.&nbsp; I hope they increase their mission frequency.Jon <br /> Posted by jonclarke</font></DIV></p><p><strong><font size="2">Hi Jon,</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">If this goes well, I think they will. The Chinese Dragon is certainly waking up now.</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">Andrew Brown.&nbsp;</font></strong></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

T

trailrider

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Watched the video. Congrats to China's space agency and good luck to the Taikonauts. Hopefully, this will lead to plans to have a manned moon base and better yet, a manned trip to Mars - all before I pass on to the next level, of course ;-) <br />Posted by asj2006</DIV></p><p>Couldn't tell... are the boosters solid or liquid propellant?&nbsp; I thought I read liquid on some website, but can't recall.&nbsp; If liquid, they are smarter than we are!</p>

J

Joshua_N

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Couldn't tell... are the boosters solid or liquid propellant?&nbsp; I thought I read liquid on some website, but can't recall.&nbsp; If liquid, they are smarter than we are! <br /> Posted by trailrider</DIV></p><p>why? whats the advantage in liquid propellant? i was under the assumption that solid was better. </p>

A

asj2006

<p>What do they mean by "mass produce"? Does this mean we'll see actual FLEETS of spaceships? </p><p>&nbsp;http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90776/90881/6506935.html</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Couldn't tell... are the boosters solid or liquid propellant?&nbsp; I thought I read liquid on some website, but can't recall.&nbsp; If liquid, they are smarter than we are! <br />Posted by trailrider</DIV></p><p>4 x 814 kN liquid thrust engines with Isp of 291 seconds burning N2O4 / UDMH.&nbsp; They have a burn time of&nbsp;128 seconds, are&nbsp;2.3 m in diameter and&nbsp;15.3 m long.</p><p>This does not mean they Chinese are smarter than US or European engineers who have used solid boosters, it is simply they have made different design choices bsed on available techology.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What do they mean by "mass produce"? Does this mean we'll see actual FLEETS of spaceships? &nbsp;http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90776/90881/6506935.html <br />Posted by asj2006</DIV></p><p>Probably a long production line, like Soyuz, with scores,if not hundreds being manufactured (Soyuz and its derivatives have numbed nearly 300).</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

H

Huntster

<p><font size="2">Yes, the craft is entirely fueled by liquid propellant. As for liquid versus solid:</font></p><p><font size="2">Liquid - smoother ride due to a much more uniform burn rate, and turbopumps allow for fine control of fuel flow.</font></p><p><font size="2">Solid - I think it provides greater thrust pound-for-pound than liquid, though is the more expensive option (?). However, while the grain size is carefully controlled, slight variations cause small variations in burn rate, which along with other factors cause the significant vibrations shuttle launches entail. Another negative with solids is that once you light the fuse, so to speak, you cannot turn it off (unlike liquid fuels, which can be controlled).</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#999999">Yes, I should wait for an expert to reply, but I couldn't control my fingers....</font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts