Shooting the Moon ... can someone suggest a good camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sally_wrench

Hi Everyone !!! <br /><br />I would like to take a picture tonight of Venus and the crescent moon when they're so close together. I don't have a telescope yet, so the photo won't be a "close-up." But I still want to try to take just a regular picture of the scene. Can someone suggest a good affordable camera for this kind of shot? I could maybe spend $200 - $250 (but less if possible.) Also, what type of film should I use ... or is there a way to take that kind of picture with a digital camera? Will I need any attachments, like zoom lenses ... stuff like that? <br /><br />If somebody can just tell me "OK, if I were going to take that picture, here's what I'd use, and here's how I'd do it ..."<br /><br />Thanks !!! Sally

D

docm

For camera shots of the moon I use a 35mm SLR and either a 70-135mm zoom or a 500mm mirror lens, which in reality is a small Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope with a camera mount. <br /><br />Absent an SLR a cheap range finder 35mm with a zoom lens will do, but aiming will be a bit trickier due to the parallax between the lens and viewfinder. A tripod and cable release are essential. <br /><br />I use B&W ISO 200 for 1/2 moon or greater and bright skies or daylight; ISO 400 for less than 1/2 moon. Bracket your exposures! On auto I use 0, +1, +2, -1 and -2. On manual start at 1/30th and shoot 2 stops up and down. <br /><br />IMO Ilford makes the B&W film with the widest dynamic range and it has <i>extremely</i> fine grain. Pro grade stuff & have to get it a photography shops, but still affordable. I use Ilford in my photo studio too for these reasons.<br /><br />Advantage over digital: fine grain film is better for moon blowups even compared to 8-10 megapixel cameras. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

sally_wrench

Wow !!!<br /><br />Thanks, Doc. I guess I didn't mention that I'm not really a photographer either, did I? I am, however, determined, so I'll be taking a hard copy of your response to a photography store. <br /><br />Due to circumstances beyond my control (ie ... my life in general) I didn't get to the camera store today anyway. Drat ...<br /><br />Thanks again !!! Sally

Status
Not open for further replies.