So what if we do find Earth's twin?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZenGalacticore

There will be more than enough dead worlds with untold minerals and resources for us to create our own manufactured biospheres. We need not tamper with the living ones. What if ETs had colonized our world 200 or 400 or million years ago? We would never had had a chance to exist. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

N

neuvik

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>There will be more than enough dead worlds with untold minerals and resources for us to create our own manufactured biospheres. We need not tamper with the living ones. What if ETs had colonized our world 200 or 400 or million years ago? We would never had had a chance to exist. <br /> Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV></p><p>But they didn't and where here, tought luck for them. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; We need those habital words for agriculture and population havens.</p><p>&nbsp;And to the effect of mass industry, I suppose we could enact some bill makeing mining and industry serverly reduced; that way it is saved for the very worse.&nbsp; However we need those instalation in place in case such an event occurs, thus the need for some mining/industry as opposed to none. </p><p>&nbsp;my analogy:</p><p>If you were walking in a forest and you found a backpack crammed with $100 bills you'd put it on, and walk out of the forest like you never taking a second guess on how good it look or is it going to get your back wet. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What would you suggest we do with a newly discovered living world untouched by man? Rape it? Destroy its landscape and atmosphere with sub-divisions, shopping malls, factories spewing noxious gas, 12 lane freeways, light, noise, water, and air pollution? All because humanity needs another disposable world to waste?It makes me hope that we never achieve relativistic speeds. Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV></p><p><font size="2">Using this philosophy, we would still be wandering around the South African plains naked, scavenging for food.</font> <font size="2">Yet here you are conversing with people from around the world with modern technology. Pfft!!!</font></p><p><font size="2">Mankind will disappear from the Universe of we do not spread out from this One Rock, & do it pretty&nbsp;quick too. I definately want to know my children & grandchildren have a future. <br /></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

H

Hicup

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What would you suggest we do with a newly discovered living world untouched by man? Rape it? Destroy its landscape and atmosphere with sub-divisions, shopping malls, factories spewing noxious gas, 12 lane freeways, light, noise, water, and air pollution? All because humanity needs another disposable world to waste?It makes me hope that we never achieve relativistic speeds. We are still too greedy and self-centered, like a babe in arms. It's been said that we are in our technological adolescence. Technological and cultural infancy is&nbsp;more like it.BTW, who's Tim? <br />Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I got the impression that any intereference at all from us would be construed as rape from your words.&nbsp; I apologize if I read you wrong, and hence is what prompted my remark.&nbsp; I agree for the most part with you that we would need to proceed with caution, but lets assume that intelligent life is not abound.. I think that it would be ethical to occupy the place.&nbsp; As another poster already pointed out, by that time, we would have "hopefuly" reached a level of balance between our social and technological evolution.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I think that it also "depends" on our immediate circumstances.&nbsp; If Earth was in danger of disaster, which by the way it is at every moment, then it tends to change our perception and altruism.. No?</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>By the way, my name is Tim-</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Hicup mostly hang out at:  http://www.thespaceport.us  Come and check it out, if you dare!!! </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Using this philosophy, we would still be wandering around the South African plains naked, scavenging for food. Yet here you are conversing with people from around the world with modern technology. Pfft!!!Mankind will disappear from the Universe of we do not spread out from this One Rock, & do it pretty&nbsp;quick too. I definately want to know my children & grandchildren have a future. <br />Posted by boris1961</DIV><br /><br />That is a silly analogy. We've filled up this planet because of our nature. We won't change that much in another 2,000 years. We should think twice or thrice about tampering with LIVING worlds. I'm all for branching out into space. By the time we are able to branch out as all us science/space guys imagine, we won't <em>need</em> to ransack any living planets we come across. We will be able to transform non organic raw materials into man-made biospheres. There is plenty of raw H, He, C, N, O, Fe, Al, and all the other elements we'll need to do whatever we want.</p><p>In the present and near future, we will use the space and resources of our own vicinity to set things right, here on Earth first before we'll ever get to other star systems. Our own role in this may not be as anthro-centric as we imagine. It's possible that humanity's ultimate destiny is to not just bring ourselves, but&nbsp;life in general to the millions of dead worlds that most certainly exist throughout space. Much like bird droppings and coconuts traveling on ocean currents help to seed formerly barren volcanic islands with plant life, humans will seed dead worlds and perhaps nearly dead or what we percieve as stagnant worlds with life.</p><p>The reason your analogy is silly is because humans discovering and traveling to an alien biosphere is unprecedented. For all we know, as soon as we took our space helmets off, there would be exotic microbes that would drop us dead like a sack of flour.</p><p>We will explore these living worlds for the sheer pleasure of exploration. To know more of what is knowable, and to learn what is possible. Thereby seeing our own world anew.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;I got the impression that any intereference at all from us would be construed as rape from your words.&nbsp; I apologize if I read you wrong, and hence is what prompted my remark.&nbsp; I agree for the most part with you that we would need to proceed with caution, but lets assume that intelligent life is not abound.. I think that it would be ethical to occupy the place.&nbsp; As another poster already pointed out, by that time, we would have "hopefuly" reached a level of balance between our social and technological evolution.&nbsp;I think that it also "depends" on our immediate circumstances.&nbsp; If Earth was in danger of disaster, which by the way it is at every moment, then it tends to change our perception and altruism.. No?&nbsp;By the way, my name is Tim-&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by Hicup</DIV><br /><br />We would have to comprehensively study the new world first. With sealed, sterilized pressure suits and, more likely, robots, we could hopefully minimize our contamination of the untouched world. Don't forget that we are destroying potentially invaluable plant and animal species before we're able to study them or even be aware of their existance right here on Earth. What a tragedy for humanity and for science and for the given new world itself if we did the same on alien worlds.</p><p>Oh, and, hello Tim. </p><p>Even if they were only microbes and other bacteria, we, in good conscience, would have to extensively study them, perhaps for decades or even centuries, before we made the decision to exploit and occupy.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

H

Hicup

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>We would have to comprehensively study the new world first. With sealed, sterilized pressure suits and, more likely, robots, we could hopefully minimize our contamination of the untouched world. Don't forget that we are destroying potentially invaluable plant and animal species before we're able to study them or even be aware of their existance right here on Earth. What a tragedy for humanity and for science and for the given new world itself if we did the same on alien worlds.Even if they were only microbes and other bacteria, we, in good conscience, would have to extensively study them, perhaps for decades or even centuries, before we made the decision to exploit and occupy. <br />Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I understand your point of view, but I do not agree.&nbsp; I'm sorry but I think therefore I am.&nbsp; We are here, and if it's an ethical dilemma between bateria and setting up camp, I opt for camp..&nbsp; It's a no brainer to me.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Tim-<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Hicup mostly hang out at:  http://www.thespaceport.us  Come and check it out, if you dare!!! </div>

N

neuvik

<p>You do know if you want to keep the world for your sierra club vacation spot the analogy still applies right?</p><p>&nbsp;Yea I know the moment we take our space suits off were in danger, I never suggested we do such a thing.&nbsp;&nbsp; Pollens, spores, bacteria etc all pose a significat threat.&nbsp;&nbsp; Ofcourse its unpresidented, but the same rules apply, take the land, make the bread. </p><p>&nbsp;It is cheaper to grow food on a planet with established bio-diversity than it is in a dome on some rock costing trillions in logistical funds.&nbsp; We'll have your super duper biosphere transformations don't worry, its just easier not having to do it on rocks with no atmosphere. &nbsp; Assuming crops can grow, research ofcourse would be needed. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; But if it proves out, then its all for the taking. &nbsp; Only a fool would just look at a world and move on without even contemplating inhabating it.</p><p>&nbsp;My words just seem odd to you because I like to put them blunt.&nbsp; People want habitats on the moon and mars, same thing.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

S

schmack

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>You do know if you want to keep the world for your sierra club vacation spot the analogy still applies right?&nbsp;Yea I know the moment we take our space suits off were in danger, I never suggested we do such a thing.&nbsp;&nbsp; Pollens, spores, bacteria etc all pose a significat threat.&nbsp;&nbsp; Ofcourse its unpresidented, but the same rules apply, take the land, make the bread. &nbsp;It is cheaper to grow food on a planet with established bio-diversity than it is in a dome on some rock costing trillions in logistical funds.&nbsp; We'll have your super duper biosphere transformations don't worry, its just easier not having to do it on rocks with no atmosphere. &nbsp; Assuming crops can grow, research ofcourse would be needed. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; But if it proves out, then its all for the taking. &nbsp; Only a fool would just look at a world and move on without even contemplating inhabating it.&nbsp;My words just seem odd to you because I like to put them blunt.&nbsp; People want habitats on the moon and mars, same thing.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by neuvik</DIV><br /><br />I agree. If theres no intelligent life already in existence, then CAMP AHOY! My only reservation would be "invading" a planet with cro-magnon man running around trying to invent wheels as we show up and start blowing them up. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="4" color="#ff0000"><font size="2">Assumption is the mother of all stuff ups</font> </font></p><p><font size="4" color="#ff0000">Gimme some Schmack Schmack!</font></p> </div>

N

neuvik

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'> My only reservation would be "invading" a planet with cro-magnon man running around trying to invent wheels as we show up and start blowing them up. <br /> Posted by schmack</DIV></p><p>Yea but being friendly allows them time to mobalize, study and adapt. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Once Mr. Alien-Magnon sees our cart goes better with a round thing on the bottem of it, it wont be long till hes using something similar with what looks to be reversed engineered guns of ours on top.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

V

votefornimitz

Even if theres is intelligent life on a planet, I say we colonize it, even if our colonization is limited to a massive agricultural complex on one continent with all the habitation quarters and equipmented being in orbit. Can't see why anyone semi-intelligent life form would object to a few more specs in the sky and a large island most of them would never have any exposure to anyway is used for crops. Strip mining should be limited to asteroids and planets deemed sterile.&nbsp; A navy should exist so that colonies would not be able to suddenly declare independence without consequences, which would also come in handy if a belligerent species were encountered. By the time all this comes to fruition, we in all likelihood will have developed the most advanced forms of weapons available, (i.e anti-matter, large gauss cannons and railguns, those big lasers we have on Boeing jets)&nbsp; as weaponry will essentially come to what can get the most energy on the target in the shortest amount of time, which will likely be those. I don't see weaponry getting any more exotic that that without involving metaphysics.... So, essentially, even a more advanced species would be par with us weapon wise, which means we aren't likely to be overpower by anything other than overwhemling numbers, as wars would likely cease to be technologically asymetrical. Thus, I don't see a problem with a large Terran Empire coexisting with an advanced race limited to a planet or a solar system.&nbsp; Another stellar empire though, may present a problem.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <span style="color:#993366">In the event of a full scale nuclear war or NEO impact event, there are two categories of underground shelters available to the public, distinguished by depth underground: bunkers and graves...</span> </div>

N

neuvik

<p>I like all that you said except for co-existing.&nbsp;&nbsp; Unless its a race more advanced that us they just are not worth the risk.&nbsp; If our own species has such mind numbingly difficulty with co-operation, puting another species in the equation is just asking for trouble.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Better exterminate them now, then have to fight them later on equal terms.</p><p>An advanced race we obviously have to be trickey with, get as much knowledge as possible.&nbsp; Maybe co-operation is feasible, however I'd keep a plan X in my hand at all times, first stike / response to a first strike.</p><p>&nbsp;Star Wars has us too enamored with teddy bears and wookies. &nbsp; Even with the possible technical advances we may have at that point, we are still just too tribal; honestly, common war is really the only thing that unites us. &nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>If I was an Admiral flying vangaurd to sleeper/colony ships.&nbsp; Those planets would be devoid of intelligent life, there's just no sense in the risks. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

For a bunch of guys who like to think of themselves as scientists, or at least science minded, you sure sound like a bunch of greedy, short-sighted industrialist/capitalists. Amazing. Thankfully, because of the nature of the Universe the stars are on average at least five light years apart-excluding globular clusters-and, systems with living worlds will be farther apart still. Thank the Creator that his little babies will NOT be able to reach such living worlds for thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of years to come...if ever. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;I understand your point of view, but I do not agree.&nbsp; I'm sorry but I think therefore I am.&nbsp; We are here, and if it's an ethical dilemma between bateria and setting up camp, I opt for camp..&nbsp; It's a no brainer to me.&nbsp;Tim- <br />Posted by Hicup</DIV> I don't buy it. I don't believe you understand my point of view at all. Yes we are <em>here,</em> and thank God we are not yet <em>there. </em>We are not yet ready to physically explore systems with other Earths, thank goodness.<br />You think and therefore you think only of yourself, apparently. Like a said, a babe in arms, not thinking of the larger world or that there are others who think and feel outside of your own&nbsp;&nbsp;infantile reality. I know, it isn't fair, but the Universe was not created just for you to exploit at will, very young Jedi. Life has never been fair. We are here now, but we, you, or I could die tomorrow. It is the nature of things. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

N

neuvik

<p>Its true it will be an extremely long time before such descions would be made for real.&nbsp; However it adds to the allure of the thread than just debating how intesting the interpretations are from astral lensing.&nbsp;&nbsp; Nobody will every, every give a damn about another planet if they are told they can't touch it.&nbsp; Studies now are just the progenitor to future on site studies, or that is their goal to be sure. </p><p>But I'm afraid your just as guilty in being short sighted as us.&nbsp; Your failure to accept a bio-diverse planet as a resource will cost us far more than using them to their potential. &nbsp;&nbsp; Thankfully the contribution of your kind won't be in vain, I'm sure to appease those of the hippish type we would fully document and research said planets.&nbsp; I suppose we can thank the mighty turtle which holds the universe up that his little babies no longer believe in tie-dye and free whacky alien love amongst the stars.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Anyways its not like were paving the planet into a parking lot structure.&nbsp; Were going to grow crops to feed people, and we'll throw some schools up on the planet. &nbsp; We need both harded humans used to the enclosed habitats as well as those used to a astmosphere. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>You do know if you want to keep the world for your sierra club vacation spot the analogy still applies right?&nbsp;Yea I know the moment we take our space suits off were in danger, I never suggested we do such a thing.&nbsp;&nbsp; Pollens, spores, bacteria etc all pose a significat threat.&nbsp;&nbsp; Ofcourse its unpresidented, but the same rules apply, take the land, make the bread. &nbsp;It is cheaper to grow food on a planet with established bio-diversity than it is in a dome on some rock costing trillions in logistical funds.&nbsp; We'll have your super duper biosphere transformations don't worry, its just easier not having to do it on rocks with no atmosphere. &nbsp; Assuming crops can grow, research ofcourse would be needed. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; But if it proves out, then its all for the taking. &nbsp; Only a fool would just look at a world and move on without even contemplating inhabating it.&nbsp;My words just seem odd to you because I like to put them blunt.&nbsp; People want habitats on the moon and mars, same thing.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by neuvik</DIV><br />If we can't take our spacesuits off, what's the point of invading and living on the alien, Earthlike world? We may as well live on Mars type planets if we are to be confined to our atmospheric suits. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

N

neuvik

<p>All in due time to be sure.&nbsp;&nbsp; You made the statement, &nbsp; "For all we know, as soon as we took our space helmets off, there would be exotic microbes that would drop us dead like a sack of flour." --ZenGalacticore</p><p>My rebuttal was that we would ofcourse take measures to ensure the immediate environment would be safe.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Even if theres is intelligent life on a planet, I say we colonize it, even if our colonization is limited to a massive agricultural complex on one continent with all the habitation quarters and equipmented being in orbit. Can't see why anyone semi-intelligent life form would object to a few more specs in the sky and a large island most of them would never have any exposure to anyway is used for crops. Strip mining should be limited to asteroids and planets deemed sterile.&nbsp; A navy should exist so that colonies would not be able to suddenly declare independence without consequences, which would also come in handy if a belligerent species were encountered. By the time all this comes to fruition, we in all likelihood will have developed the most advanced forms of weapons available, (i.e anti-matter, large gauss cannons and railguns, those big lasers we have on Boeing jets)&nbsp; as weaponry will essentially come to what can get the most energy on the target in the shortest amount of time, which will likely be those. I don't see weaponry getting any more exotic that that without involving metaphysics.... So, essentially, even a more advanced species would be par with us weapon wise, which means we aren't likely to be overpower by anything other than overwhemling numbers, as wars would likely cease to be technologically asymetrical. Thus, I don't see a problem with a large Terran Empire coexisting with an advanced race limited to a planet or a solar system.&nbsp; Another stellar empire though, may present a problem.... <br />Posted by votefornimitz</DIV><br />The chances of two alien races making contact where they are more or less evenly technologically matched is a googleplex to one. (Or at least a google to one, which is still&nbsp;quite alot.)&nbsp;You envision their ray-gun being different from ours but of the same destructive power, get real. All you have to do is look at the history of our own planet to&nbsp;observe-not infer or deduce, but plainly observe-&nbsp;that this is astronomically impossible. Look at the Natives of the Western Hemisphere when encountering the Europeans in the&nbsp;sixteenth and seventeenth&nbsp;centuries. You've been watching too much Star Trek the Next Generation or something. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>All in due time to be sure.&nbsp;&nbsp; You made the statement, &nbsp; "For all we know, as soon as we took our space helmets off, there would be exotic microbes that would drop us dead like a sack of flour." --ZenGalacticoreMy rebuttal was that we would ofcourse take measures to ensure the immediate environment would be safe.&nbsp; <br />Posted by neuvik</DIV><br /><br />Could we be sure that it was safe if there was life there as we <em>don't know it</em>? How could we or our sensors and computers be sure? Our machines only know what we tell them, what we program them to know. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

N

neuvik

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Could we be sure that it was safe if there was life there as we don't know it? How could we or our sensors and computers be sure? Our machines only know what we tell them, what we program them to know. <br /> Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV></p><p>Well night side scanning for settlement lighting would be a method for seeking intelligent life; and high-med altitude for small settlements&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A robot could do that.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; After that its all up to what we see and feel with either hands on or robotic approach.&nbsp;&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I like all that you said except for co-existing.&nbsp;&nbsp; Unless its a race more advanced that us they just are not worth the risk.&nbsp; If our own species has such mind numbingly difficulty with co-operation, puting another species in the equation is just asking for trouble.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Better exterminate them now, then have to fight them later on equal terms.An advanced race we obviously have to be trickey with, get as much knowledge as possible.&nbsp; Maybe co-operation is feasible, however I'd keep a plan X in my hand at all times, first stike / response to a first strike.&nbsp;Star Wars has us too enamored with teddy bears and wookies. &nbsp; Even with the possible technical advances we may have at that point, we are still just too tribal; honestly, common war is really the only thing that unites us. &nbsp;&nbsp;If I was an Admiral flying vangaurd to sleeper/colony ships.&nbsp; Those planets would be devoid of intelligent life, there's just no sense in the risks. <br />Posted by neuvik</DIV><br /><br />'Star Wars' has you too enamoured with everything rediculous. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

N

neuvik

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>'Star Wars' has you too enamoured with everything rediculous. <br /> Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV></p><p>Uh, are you trying to make a point or have you just exhausted you supply of peace amongst the stars rhetoric?&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

What if the microbes that drop us dead do not have electrified cities? An organism doesn't have to be 'intelligent' in order to kill. Do you think Small Pox is intelligent? Or the AIDS virus? Google Small Pox kid, and find out for yourself-at least empirically-how horrible a microbe it is. Zen G. is signing off from this inceasingly silly discussion. I can only imagine what it would be like to have all you guys in my classroom. I would probably quit teaching. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

N

neuvik

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What if the microbes that drop us dead do not have electrified cities? An organism doesn't have to be 'intelligent' in order to kill. Do you think Small Pox is intelligent? Or the AIDS virus? Google Small Pox kid, and find out for yourself-at least empirically-how horrible a microbe it is. Zen G. is signing off from this inceasingly silly discussion. I can only imagine what it would be like to have all you guys in my classroom. I would probably quit teaching. <br /> Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV></p><p>Yea, well if we don't find any settlements then its on to the next phase. &nbsp; Testing the organics, looking for pathogens, etc.&nbsp; You keep assuming I'm for the "let not take precautions on an alien planet" approach.&nbsp; I'm sorry that having an opinon other than yours is so frightening you would theoreticaly quit teaching if we were in your class. &nbsp; &nbsp;</p><p>If you wanted to change subjects to a more scientific debate or lecture on interpretations of the signals, by all means make the move. &nbsp;&nbsp; However you also entertained the whole futuristic idea of going to said planet and watching them as per your first post in this thread.</p><p>&nbsp;Anyways, G'night Zen. </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

Q

qso1

<p><font color="#800080">What then?&nbsp; Say we find a planet, and confirm that it is almost exactly like ours.&nbsp; What would the world's nations need to do?&nbsp; Is it even possible to go it alone, or only those with the will?&nbsp; What about all of our differences?&nbsp; Does this all need to come to fruition before we can even think about branching out?&nbsp;Keep in mind for discussion purposes that, it would be confirmed that we found another Earth like planet.&nbsp; The distance is imaterial at this point, but for the sake of argument, lets say it was within 100 light years..&nbsp;Discuss!&nbsp;Tim Posted by Hicup</font></p><p>I wrote and illustrated an entire graphic novel series that addresses this very issue. The point being that its gonna take something like this to "As Obama would probably put it" Inspire people about human spaceflight again. Human spaceflight desperately needs something humanity can relate to or it will eventually come to an end.</p><p>An earthly twin would provide that inspiration and human spaceflights (HSF) continuation IMO.</p><p>Of course, it wont be easy and for HSF, it likely will have to be international for the foreseeable future. I personally think we could go it alone if need be. But this is something that much of the world will want to be in on. I don't see that we would have to put aside our differences. We should but thats not human nature.</p><p>Much ado was made about the whole bringing humanity together thing in wake of missions such as Apollo 8. Humanity appeared to put aside their differences, or so the writers of that sort of thing would have you believe. Apollo 11 landed on the moon and a good portion of humanity appeared to be united.</p><p>How long did that last?</p><p>Today were back to business as usual. Corruptiuon in government. Countless types of human abuse against each other up to and including war. I never really bought into the whole humanity setting aside differences thing or humanity will somehow become suddenly more compassionate or even smarter. Humanity will go to and earthly twin if we want to, differences or not IMO.</p><p>I would point out that distance will have some bearing. Missions to an earthly twin that would be orbiting say, Alpha Centauri...Epsilon Eridani, or tau Ceti would be seen as a lot easier than going for targets 20 or more years out. If however, the closest earthly twin is still over a hundred light years away by the time were ready to visit. I'm pretty sure will go.</p><p>What do we have to do?</p><p>1.</p><p>Get either the government or the private sector or an as yet undetermined entity to greatly reduce the cost of access to low orbit for starters.</p><p>2.</p><p>Gain experience (Propulsion systems, long duration flights, etc. )with deep space human missions such as ones to mars, maybe Europa or another gas giant moon. All while cataloging any earthly twins discovered and confirmed. That is, narrow down the destination. Earth and space based astronomy would provide the means to do this.</p><p>3.</p><p>Develop the means to get to an earthly twin that can get there preferrably within a human life. Something like going .5 to .75 C.</p><p>Thats 3 things for starters but those 3 items accomodate a much larger subgroup of items that would come under any of the 3 main items listed.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts