Soyuz capsule emergency drag brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gunsandrockets

While researching grid-fins I saw this ... "These fins have also been used on Russian spacecraft including the N1 lunar rocket and the Soyuz TM-22 capsule where they were used as emergency drag brakes."<br /><br />Emergency drag brakes? On the Soyuz capsule? Anyone have any more info on this subject?<br /><br />

D

davf

They are mounted on the shroud just above the descent module / service module interface. In the event of an abort, the upper two modules of the Soyuz is pulled free of the stack using the abort motor and the fins deploy. The descent module then drops free for a 'normal' parachute / braking rocket assisted landing.<br /><br />Aside from testing, the only opportunity for the system to function was during the Soyuz T-10A pad abort. <br /><br />There are some reasonable pictures of them at the bottom right side of the page. If you PM me an email, I can also send you some close-ups that I've taken (I don't think we can post pics anymore).<br />http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz_lv.html

G

gunsandrockets

Thanx for the link and info! <br /><br />I can clearly discern one of the grid-fins on this image<br /><br />According to this link, to "increase the aerodynamic stability of the shortened escape vehicle, it was equipped with four folding stabilizers." So it seems the grid-fins were not intended as brakes after all. <br />

D

davf

Yes.. they were indeed stabilizers. I had assumed that was what they actually meant when you mentioned 'brakes'.<br /><br />N1 also had them at the base. The Soviets / Russians sure seem to love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts