SpaceDev Completes First Milestone Under NASA Space Act

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacy600

POWAY, CA--(MARKET WIRE)--Nov 5, 2007 -- SpaceDev, Inc. (OTC BB:SPDV.OB - News) recently completed its first milestone under the Space Act Agreement that it signed with NASA in June 2007. This significant first milestone is to define the outer mold line (OML) of the SpaceDev Dream Chaserâ„¢ space vehicle. The SpaceDev team generated a surface model that will be used for future analysis, subscale flight test modeling, and full scale tooling of the Dream Chaserâ„¢ flight vehicle. The Dream Chaser(TM) OML surface model was derived from digitized scans of the original NASA Langley wind-tunnel tested models, which are currently on loan to SpaceDev.<br />http://tinyurl.com/2hvxad<br /><br />So how long will it take to fly?<br />Drop test?

D

docm

Sounds like they're at the digital model stage, but if as suspected they're working with LockMart the time to half-scale drop tests may not be that far off. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

Second thought:<br /><br />How could you validate an external mold line without also having the internal layout fixed? They may be further along in the design process than first blush indicates. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

spacy600

I think the RCS is a variant of the hybrid propulsion motors.<br />(the clear stuff, not the black rubber).<br /><br />Is that what you mean by internal layout?

D

docm

No, I mean the entire 'chassis' under the body work. For the body work to 'fit' the framework at least the major components and their positions must be known quantities.<br /><br />That they're using hybrid RCS's is known. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

spacy600

oh, I am not a tech person, so I have no idea.<br />Feel free to elaborate.<br /><br />BTW did you see redchip.com has presentation from<br />Spacedev, from the two conferences up.(a presentation and a Top executive interview)<br />One in NY and one in Fla.<br /><br />You need to do a free registration, but I found it interesting. The second on talks about the structure biz.<br />

S

spacy600

you do know that Jim Benson has not been with the <br />company and management for over a year now.<br /><br />He is still on the board of Directors.<br />

D

docm

He's still a driving force at SpaceDev because most (all?) of the development money for Dream Chaser comes from Benson Space Company, of which Benson is CEO. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

That conversation was about the financials and decision making around the change BSC made from the Dream Chaser/HL-20 design to their newer "Spaceship" for suborbital flights (which IMO looks like the Ark from "When Worlds Collide" more than anything else). <br /><br />As for actual funding of SpaceDev's Dream Chaser orbital ship;<br /><br />Link....<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>SpaceDev Awarded Study Contract by Benson Space Company<br /><br />PRESS RELEASE<br />Date Released: Monday, December 18, 2006<br />Source: SpaceDev, Inc.<br /><br />Contract Contributes to the Ongoing Development of the SpaceDev Dream Chaser(TM) Spaceship<br /><br />SpaceDev has been awarded a $330,000 Phase I study contract from Benson Space Company to further the SpaceDev Dream Chaser(TM) spaceship program. The study will contribute to the on-going development of the spaceship and will result in space vehicle and rocket motor designs ready for Phase II vehicle fabrication and testing. The SpaceDev Dream Chaser(TM) spaceship is based on NASA's design of the ten passenger orbital HL-20 Personnel Launch System, and will launch vertically and land horizontally in direct sight of viewers.<br /><br />"We look forward to undertaking this exciting project with Jim, and to completing this first-phase study contract in March 2007," offered Mark N. Sirangelo, Chairman and CEO of SpaceDev. "We are confident that we can assist Jim Benson and Benson Space Company in his quest to take civilians to space, and we are proud to provide the technical know-how and products to help make that a reality." <br /> /><p><hr /></p></p></blockquote> <br /><br />That DC ended up not being the right move for BSC is another matter; SpaceDev still got Phase 1 study funding for their Dream Chaser from BSC. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

spacy600

Yes, now a year latter...<br />BSC is doing the ark, dart thing for suborbital.<br />They are developing by themselves, Spacedev is not involved. (after phase 1 BSC came out with it's own design)<br />except for propulsion. (they are in talks with)<br />http://tinyurl.com/35duw6<br /><br />Spacedev says they are moving forward on the design of <br />the DC, with internal funding. No outside contracts,<br />they never got a phase 2 from BSC.<br /><br />If they get COTS 2 or Bigelows money remains to be seen.<br /><br />At least that is my understanding of it<br />

D

docm

About right. Personally I think Bigelow will go with Dragon if it flies on schedule, especially since it's closer than DC to flying. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

spacy600

Didn't want to start a new thread, but<br />http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/071107/0325948.html<br /><br />I find this interesting:<br /><br /> More recently he has been involved as a corporate executive in the emerging space industry including being VP for Space Exploration Systems for Transformational Space Corporation.

D

docm

An interesting development indeed. Voss at SpaceDev and Hoot Gibson at BSC. Lots of experience on tap. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

thereiwas

And SpaceDev has all of Robert Bussard's work, lab equipment, and three of the techs who built the polywell machines. Things would get <i>very</i> interesting if they could advance that technology for space applications. But they do need that $200M from somewhere for the next stage.<br /><br />Perhaps BSC is a better home for them than SpaceDev.<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts