STS-114 landing ground track

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

schriber

Does anyone have a link to the landing ground track for the STS-114 prime landing? These used to be easy to find but I've had no luck this time.<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Mike<br />

S

schriber

Hmmmm... they talked about not selecting a landing option yet but the presumption is for the primary KSC opportunity and that ground track (for the preferred orbit) should already be known.<br /><br />Mike<br />

S

scottb50

I think that changes with every orbit. Doesn't it? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

L

Leovinus

I think they should come in just like Columbia did. If it breaks up, they'll be able to find the pieces and figure out why. Hopefully, they won't fall on me. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

G

georgeniebling

Leovinus ... wow, that seems ... harsh, from you ... or maybe it's just the day I'm having today ...

L

Leovinus

No, it's not harsh. The pieces recovered from Columbia were very valuable in determining the failure and preventing repeat disasters of that type. Discovery is a test flight to prove that the changes were successful. If it fails, you want to find out why. Columbia's ground track took it over land during the period where a tile failure would make it break up. If the stuff falls in the water, you lose a lot of information.<br /><br />Frankly, I'm very confident that Discovery will come home in one piece, not 1000s. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

G

georgeniebling

yeah, the more I think about it ... you *are* right. I guess it was just the way I read it. The board is so full of nay-sayers and people who think Discovery will ... well, I don't even want to say it.<br /><br />Following a similar track *does* have some scientific warrant ....<br /><br />Sorry if I came across ... accusatory ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts