The barycenter of the solar system

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Does the location of the barycenter of the solar system cause the magnetic pole flip of the sun. As the planets orbit the barycenter moves from the Center of the sun to just above its surface. Sort of a Spirograph pattern with Jupiter having the largest effect. Jupiter takes 11.86 years to orbit and the suns magnetic poles flip about every 11 years. All of the other planets also affect the barycenter pattern. If the dark matter also orbits the barycenter it could be the missing link between the suns pole shift and the planetary orbital effects.

Reactions: serhiy1635 and rod
Interesting thinking on DM. Allen's Astrophysical Quantities Fourth Edition (2000) shows the mass from Mercury to Pluto is 446.6 earth masses, p. 293. Most of that is in Jupiter. How much DM is needed to accomplish what is described in #1? Continued searches for DM in the solar system continue to come up short, https://phys.org/news/2020-11-advanced-atomic-clock-dark-detector.html

We also have more than 4300 exoplanets documented now, so far I have not seen reports of DM influencing exoplanet orbits or systems, e.g. TRAPPIST-1 or others. http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/, https://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu/index.html

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
I was picturing the solar system more like Jupiter’s atmosphere with the planets in there like stirring apparatus. If dark matter behaves like a superfluid it wouldn’t take much to keep it circulating.

Reactions: rod
Interesting Ed Stauffer. I used MS BING and found this about the barycenter of the solar system.

[Near to the sun's surface The barycenter of the solar system is thus near to the sun's surface, and sometimes it falls within the Sun itself. The solar system's barycenter is constantly shifting since the planets are always in motion. The location of the planets determines the position of the barycenter., Reference: www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-is-the-barycenter.html]

It seems the barycenter small changes are attributed to the nearly 447 earth masses in orbit around the Sun. DM would need to have a precise calculation to show a difference and present searches for DM in the local area - remain elusive.

Like a see-saw with weights moving in and out along the boards, the balance point (barycenter) is the mass x distance (ie orbit radius).

If you simply took out all those masses and determined the barycenter of just the Sun and each planet you'd find, if I did the math right, that...

Jupiter is such that the barycenter would be 106% the radius of the Sun, so just outside the surface. Saturn is about 60% the radius. Neptune is about 33%. Pluto, though much farther, is a tiny 0.01%.

Planet 9, if it exists, would be about 10,000%, but you have to wait about 15,000 years for one orbit of both the planet and the Sun around the barycenter.

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Does the location of the barycenter of the solar system cause the magnetic pole flip of the sun. As the planets orbit the barycenter moves from the Center of the sun to just above its surface. Sort of a Spirograph pattern with Jupiter having the largest effect. Jupiter takes 11.86 years to orbit and the suns magnetic poles flip about every 11 years. All of the other planets also affect the barycenter pattern. If the dark matter also orbits the barycenter it could be the missing link between the suns pole shift and the planetary orbital effects.
According to the information I found in the internet.
We say that planets orbit stars, but that’s not the whole truth. Planets and stars actually orbit around their common center of mass. This common center of mass is called the barycenter. Barycenters also help astronomers search for planets beyond our solar system.

Latest posts