Titanian Ice Volcanoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

astrophoto

ESA Article :<br /><br />"Instead of dirt, Titan has hydrocarbon particles settling out of the atmosphere, and instead of lava, Titanian volcanoes spew very cold ice. "<br /><br />Ok, by volcano do they mean the rip-roaring conic volcano type or the slow leaking magma type? Secondly, do these volcanoes spew water ICE or some more slushy mixture of partially liquid water that quickly freezes? Could ammonia and other elements mixed with the water keep the freezing temp low enough to keep it liquid for some period of time.<br /><br />Trying to imagine a bunch of water rocks flying out of a conic volcano is pretty amusing...

H

heyo

Whatever the material is, it's possible it comes out as liquid and then quickly freezes when the atmosphere hits it. If it is being ejected with enough force to launch it into the air, than it actually would be like a volcano spewing big ice blocks... maybe like massive hailstones.<br /><br />I vote for the flowing slushy mixture, myself.<br /><br />Heyo <br /><br />on edit: I'm a molecule! Sweet!

R

ratliff

The processes which are becoming evident on Titan are amazing! The evidence for the equivalent of an hydrologic cycle except with methane; water and ammonia volcanoes, methane rain, hydrocarbon sedimentary deposits, and water ice rounded pebbles from fluvial erosion and deposition. <br /><br />Suppose that this does represent something similar to earth's primoridial atmosphere cryogenically preserved? <br />Think also about the earth-equivalent lithological cycle with giant ice rafts as the crustal plates. <br /><br />The implications are astounding! <br />JR <br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.