U.S. Officials Defend Plan to Shoot Down Satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyclonebuster

WASHINGTON — Taking a page from Hollywood science fiction, the Pentagon said Thursday it will try to shoot down a dying, bus-size U.S. spy satellite loaded with toxic fuel on a collision course with the Earth.<br /><br />How do we know debris won't hit the space station or other satellites?<br /><br />http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330778,00.html

M

MeteorWayne

There are two active threads already discussing this, one in Space Business and Technology (which should answer your question) and another in Missions and Launches. <br /><br />This thread should be locked, please refer to the linked threads above.<br /><br />Edited to add links to ongoing threads. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

cyclonebuster

But the other thread starters don't address the issue of debris hitting other satellites in their threads and BTW who made "YOU" the thread monitor hear anyways?

M

MeteorWayne

First of all, the SB&T thread does address this issue.<br /><br />Duplicate threads diffuse the discussion.<br />Nobody made me the thread monitor, it's just a suggestion. <br /><br />Edit:<br /><br />From Uplink policies and guidelines:<br /><br />Guidelines <br /><br />Before starting a new thread, check to see if there is already a thread on that topic within the last week or so. If there is, please post in that thread. This pertains especially to new hot news items which often result in multiple threads on the topic. This not only makes discussions on the subject difficult, but also pushes other threads down the list. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

cyclonebuster

Here is his full article tell me where it says it? BTW who made "YOU" the thread moderator?<br /><br />WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon is planning to shoot down a broken spy satellite expected to hit the Earth in early March, The Associated Press has learned. <br />U.S. officials said Thursday that the option preferred by the Bush administration will be to fire a missile from a U.S. Navy cruiser, and shoot down the satellite before it enters Earth's atmosphere. <br /><br />The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the options will not be publicly discussed until a later Pentagon briefing. <br /><br />The disabled satellite is expected to hit the Earth the first week of March. Officials said the Navy would likely shoot it down before then, using a special missile modified for the task. <br /><br />Other details about the missile and the targeting were not immediately available. But the decision involves several U.S. agencies, including the National Security Agency, the Department of Homeland Defense and the State Department. <br /><br />Shooting down a satellite is particularly sensitive because of the controversy surrounding China's anti-satellite test last year, when Beijing shot down one of its defunct weather satellites, drawing immediate criticism from the U.S. and other countries. <br /><br />THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below. <br /><br />WASHINGTON (AP)—U.S. officials say the Pentagon is planning to shoot down a broken spy satellite expected to hit the Earth in early March. <br /><br />The Associated Press has learned that the option preferred by the Bush administration will be to fire a missile from a U.S. Navy cruiser, and shoot down the satellite before it enters Earth's atmosphere. <br /><br />The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the options will not be publicly discussed until a Pentagon briefing later Thursday. <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

M

MeteorWayne

As I stated, it was only a suggestion that you follow the Uplink Guidelines.<br />Do what you want.<br /><br />I said the discussion in the thread in Space Business and Tecnology covered the issue in great detail, not that the several day old AP release did.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

telfrow

As MW noted, there are two other threads regarding this same subject - one in SB&T and one in M&L. There's no need for another one here.<br /><br />I'm locking this thread - please the other threads to discuss this topic. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts