"Watchmen" gets its MPAA rating....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

The MPAA gave it an "<strong>R</strong>"<br /><br />Graphic violence, sexuality, nudity and language <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The MPAA gave it an "R"Graphic violence, sexuality, nudity and language <br /> Posted by docm</DIV></p><p>I'm not sure if it will help or hurt it.&nbsp; The only Comic book films with an R rating that come to mind are The Punisher (the older one, not sure on the newer one) and Darkman.&nbsp; Neither did very good although Darkman got somewhat of a cult following.&nbsp; That R rating will hurt merchandising sales and put the plastic, shrink-wrapped action figures out of reach of most kids.&nbsp; For adults, it's not a big deal but, that's giving up a pretty big market niche.&nbsp; Then again, Underworld did pretty good and even though it's not in the same genre, it's kind of close in "feel" to me.&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

D

docm

OTOH Watchmen with a PG/PG-13 wouldn't be Watchmen. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>OTOH Watchmen with a PG/PG-13 wouldn't be Watchmen. Posted by docm</DIV></p><p>True.&nbsp; I'm not privy to much of the Watchmen mythos but, I understand the point.&nbsp; I suppose it's in much the same way that "Superman" wouldn't be Superman with an R rating either. </p><p>In your opinion, what market is Watchmen's Mythos best targetted for?&nbsp; Mass Market appeal isn't always a necessity as we Sci-Fi fans know.&nbsp; Yet, sometimes the niche markets end up getting a blockbuster that crosses boundaries.&nbsp; Would "Watchmen" be one of those or do you think it it more apealing/appropriate for a certain segment?&nbsp; Are we going to see "Watchmen" action figures in children's toy stores? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

D

docm

<p>Watchmen is looking to be a crossover hit judging by the public/press reaction so far - it got a standing "O" at a &nbsp;screening for the movie&nbsp;press a few weeks ago.</p><p>Let's be honest about the ratings: they mean <strong>NOTHING</strong> and the public is catching on.&nbsp; </p><p>The Dark Knight got a PG-13 but (hopefully) we all know it was an R film in disguise for its themes and violence and I couldn't begin to count the number of PG-13 films I've seen with massive violence, plenty of nudity and&nbsp;pretty explicit sex scenes.&nbsp;</p><p>You can see far worse on Showtime or HBO any night of the week.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Watchmen is looking to be a crossover hit judging by the public/press reaction so far - it got a standing "O" at a &nbsp;screening for the movie&nbsp;press a few weeks ago.Let's be honest about the ratings: they mean NOTHING and the public is catching on.&nbsp; The Dark Knight got a PG-13 but (hopefully) we all know it was an R film in disguise for its themes and violence and I couldn't begin to count the number of PG-13 films I've seen with massive violence, plenty of nudity and&nbsp;pretty explicit sex scenes.&nbsp;You can see far worse on Showtime or HBO any night of the week. <br /> Posted by docm</DIV></p><p>True.&nbsp; However, those ratings are there for a reason, right?&nbsp; I know many movies manage to "sneak" by on their ratings.&nbsp; Frankly, I don't approve of that.&nbsp; It's not that I'm a prude.&nbsp; It's just that I believe if you have set certain standards others rely on then you should honestly enforce those standards.&nbsp; Now, everything with the possibility of having some violence, curse words or naughty bits has a rating immediately below what it probably deserves and is easily attainable.&nbsp; So, R can become PG-13 by dropping the F-Word a few times and keeping the blood & violence.</p><p>Not meaning to turn this into a rant on Ratings but, I've noticed a more frequent use of certain words and themes in even G and PG rated movies lately.&nbsp; Cartoons are getting in on the action too with putting in veiled curse-words, etc..&nbsp; I don't like that.&nbsp; It's more for the sake of enforcing the standard a parent is supposed to be able to rely on than anything else.&nbsp; Shreck and Donkey can say "Ass" and a few other choice words as much as they want as far as I care.. but, they should not do it under a "G" rating.</p><p>I'm glad to see this might be a good crossover hit.&nbsp; I think we need MORE superhero movies these days.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

L

lildreamer

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>True.&nbsp; However, those ratings are there for a reason, right?&nbsp; I know many movies manage to "sneak" by on their ratings.&nbsp; Frankly, I don't approve of that.&nbsp; It's not that I'm a prude.&nbsp; It's just that I believe if you have set certain standards others rely on then you should honestly enforce those standards.&nbsp; Now, everything with the possibility of having some violence, curse words or naughty bits has a rating immediately below what it probably deserves and is easily attainable.&nbsp; So, R can become PG-13 by dropping the F-Word a few times and keeping the blood & violence.Not meaning to turn this into a rant on Ratings but, I've noticed a more frequent use of certain words and themes in even G and PG rated movies lately.&nbsp; Cartoons are getting in on the action too with putting in veiled curse-words, etc..&nbsp; I don't like that.&nbsp; It's more for the sake of enforcing the standard a parent is supposed to be able to rely on than anything else.&nbsp; Shreck and Donkey can say "Ass" and a few other choice words as much as they want as far as I care.. but, they should not do it under a "G" rating.I'm glad to see this might be a good crossover hit.&nbsp; I think we need MORE superhero movies these days. <br />Posted by a_lost_packet_</DIV></p><p>BUMP...BUMP....</p><p>http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/business/media/25fox.html?_r=1</p><p><strong>Judge Says Fox Owns Rights to a Warner Movie</strong> </p><div id="toolsRight"><font color="#ff0000">By MICHAEL CIEPLY</font></div><div class="timestamp"><font color="#ff0000">Published: December 24, 2008 </font></div><div id="articleBody"><p><font color="#ff0000">LOS ANGELES &mdash; In a surprise ruling, a federal judge in Los Angeles said he intended to grant 20th Century Fox&rsquo;s claim that it owns a copyright interest in the &ldquo;Watchmen,&rdquo; a movie shot by Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures and set for release in March. The decision was disclosed in a five-page written order issued on Wednesday. Gary A. Feess, a judge in the United States District Court for Central California, said he would provide a more detailed order soon.</font></p>I really hope this does not delay the release or shelves the release....<br /></div> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

brandbll

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So, R can become PG-13 by dropping the F-Word a few times and keeping the blood & violence.Not meaning to turn this into a rant on Ratings but, I've noticed a more frequent use of certain words and themes in even G and PG rated movies lately.&nbsp; <br />Posted by a_lost_packet_</DIV></p><p>Ever seen the ending to the movie, <em>Dodgeball</em>?&nbsp; They can drop the F-bomb exactly once in a PG-13 movie.&nbsp; Check it out:</p><p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6B5RXqUIig</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

D

docm

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>BUMP...BUMP....http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/business/media/25fox.html?_r=1Judge Says Fox Owns Rights to a Warner Movie By MICHAEL CIEPLYPublished: December 24, 2008 LOS ANGELES &mdash; In a surprise ruling, a federal judge in Los Angeles said he intended to grant 20th Century Fox&rsquo;s claim that it owns a copyright interest in the &ldquo;Watchmen,&rdquo; a movie shot by Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures and set for release in March. The decision was disclosed in a five-page written order issued on Wednesday. Gary A. Feess, a judge in the United States District Court for Central California, said he would provide a more detailed order soon.I really hope this does not delay the release or shelves the release.... <br />Posted by lildreamer</DIV></p><p>The net effect will be that Fox will release it, but otherwise not much effect otherwise other than Fox gets that part of the cut.&nbsp; There is <strong><em>NO WAY</em></strong> Fox would shut it down and miss out on this particular cash cow.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Watchmen is looking to be a crossover hit judging by the public/press reaction so far - it got a standing "O" at a &nbsp;screening for the movie&nbsp;press a few weeks ago.Let's be honest about the ratings: they mean NOTHING and the public is catching on.&nbsp; The Dark Knight got a PG-13 but (hopefully) we all know it was an R film in disguise for its themes and violence and I couldn't begin to count the number of PG-13 films I've seen with massive violence, plenty of nudity and&nbsp;pretty explicit sex scenes.&nbsp;You can see far worse on Showtime or HBO any night of the week. <br /> Posted by docm</DIV></p><p>The most egregious example I can think of is "Return of the King".&nbsp; It's got the most graphic violence of the series, including depictions of beheadings and amputations and other nasty stuff.&nbsp; (Heck, all three "Lord of the Rings" movies did.&nbsp; ROTK was just the most graphic.)&nbsp; It really deserved an R rating.&nbsp; Of course, it barely had any nekkid people at all.&nbsp; (Only one I can think of is Frodo when Sam rescues him from the Orcs, who had stripped him in preparation for cooking and eating him.&nbsp; Lovely stuff.)&nbsp; Great movie, probably should've been an R.</p><p>I think it had more blood than Braveheart, a justifiably R movie.&nbsp; So yeah, the ratings don't mean a whole lot.&nbsp; Parents and viewers need to make their own judgements.&nbsp; But I'm inclined to think that if "Watchmen" doesn't get an R, it's probably been edited too much.&nbsp; The graphic novel is definitely aimed at adult readers; the movie should be aimed at adults too. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts