What Technologies Do Think Will Be The Next Big Thing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marcel_leonard

Have been weaned on Marvel/DC Comic books, Star Trek, and all sci fi media in general; I wanted to see what you think the next big thing will be to jump start our stagnant market place, similar to how the internet jump started our technology economy during the the early 90s???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQSvqh1F24[/youtube]

V

Valcan

Not sure when are you talking about. Net decade? Hopefully fussion Tech of some kind (The Navy research department aparently detected something LIKE cold fusion a few months ago. With that Everything changes, plus the best places to get He3 for reactors gues where, Space. Hopefully there will be alot of progress on nano assemblers etc. Can't find the link its from months ago on baenbar but it was about a machine underdevelopment build a nanofabricator. Again everything changes sence it could build more of itself if given the instructions and materials.

I figure more development of carbon nanotube tech. But then again who knows.

M

marcel_leonard

Valcan":2ccu07e2 said:
Not sure when are you talking about. Net decade? Hopefully fussion Tech of some kind (The Navy research department aparently detected something LIKE cold fusion a few months ago. With that Everything changes, plus the best places to get He3 for reactors gues where, Space. Hopefully there will be alot of progress on nano assemblers etc. Can't find the link its from months ago on baenbar but it was about a machine underdevelopment build a nanofabricator. Again everything changes sence it could build more of itself if given the instructions and materials.

I figure more development of carbon nanotube tech. But then again who knows.

Thanks for the input, but I was thinking in terms of more street level technologies that could virtually change the market right now!!!!

V

Valcan

Ah ok for near like within the next 1-5 yrs ENERGY. Everything from nuclear reactors you can just put in the ground and then pull em out in 10 yrs that can provide power for a small town.

Then theres all the work being done on batteries, unmanned vehicles, computers etc.

M

marcel_leonard

Valcan":2tkoj65l said:
Ah ok for near like within the next 1-5 yrs ENERGY. Everything from nuclear reactors you can just put in the ground and then pull em out in 10 yrs that can provide power for a small town.

Then theres all the work being done on batteries, unmanned vehicles, computers etc.

I recently read an article in WIRED that said that their was a more cost effective form of nuclear reactor that could produce energy by using a substitute for uranium. Don't ask me what the name of the material is because I can't remember at this time. Eventually we'll learn how to reproduce cold fusion using H3 that we can affordable mine from the surface of the moon.
I just hope they do this in my lifetime; if not we better start going to church and prepare for the LAST DAYS!!!

D

docm

Probably talking about thorium cycle based reactors. Thorium is more abundant, helps minimize proliferation issues and produces much less long-lived transuranic waste.

M

marcel_leonard

docm":1ihl5nvw said:
Probably talking about thorium cycle based reactors. Thorium is more abundant, helps minimize proliferation issues and produces much less long-lived transuranic waste.

You're right on the money!!!

S

SciFi2010

I think the next big things is nano-technology, because it could provide us with:

advancement in computer-technology (processors, memory, etc...), robot/android technology and Artificial Intelligence (in 2020 a computer worth a 1000$ will have the same computer-power as a human brain). If the AI would be able to develop and clone itself the AI could make everything for free. Economic growth will just depend on the availibility of energy and materials. One disadvantage the AI could turn against us.

advancement in deloping new kind of materials

advancement in biotechnology. It could give us the possibility to clone, select and alter the genes of plants, animals and humans or create total new organisms.

advancement in altenative energy and material production. For example new solar-cell technology, bio-reactor vessels (with algea and bacteria), etc...

V

Valcan

Really its just a rediculous amount of stuf everything people have mentioned here and more :geek:

E

EarthlingX

Valcan":1pnj1axr said:
Really its just a rediculous amount of stuf everything people have mentioned here and more :geek:
It is a trick question .. ;)

I will try to rephrase it, if that is allowed :
Which tech do you thing will change our lives in the way Internet and computers did ?

D

docm

Brain-machine interfaces for the purpose of augmentation and prosthetics, and they're much closer than most people think - a few years tops given the advances of just the last 6 months.

N

nec208

marcel_leonard":1bqiou3e said:
Have been weaned on Marvel/DC Comic books, Star Trek, and all sci fi media in general; I wanted to see what you think the next big thing will be to jump start our stagnant market place, similar to how the internet jump started our technology economy during the the early 90s???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQSvqh1F24[/youtube]

Star Trek is scfi- that say it in simple terms .We cannot make ship like that move to do we do not know how build one like that and DO TO A major energy problem .It looks so simple in scfi show but it is very very complex in real world and unless there is new energy the energy we have will not move that ship anywhere close to that size.The real problem is energy and money.

We are just learning how get to the moon in rafts never mind going in small sail boat where the scfi shows :lol: :lol: shows us going in big cruise ship!! And do to a money problem we cannot even go in small sail boat .

M

marcel_leonard

One hundred years we were bicycling, walking, riding trains, sailing boats, and getting around on horse/buggy. Today we still pretty much use the exact same technologies w/ the exception of the combustible engine, and look how far that technology took us...

Now that our fossil fuel resource is nearly depleted; we are force to take another long hard look at our other options for viable energy source that taking under consideration the following:

hydrogen, hydroelectric, wind, solar, geothermal, uranium, thorium, and maybe even the holy grail of cold fusion...

Once we start down the yellow brick road of new energy we may actually find not only an answer to our current energy crisis but a solution to space/time problem between star systems, which might allow us to travel to the nearest systems in our lifetime???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r9r1GSs9Co[/youtube]

K

kelvinzero

Rapid prototyping and 3d printing.

Its emerging right now. Rapid prototyping will speed all sorts of development. It will be fantastically useful for space missions also.

However probably no one will pay any attention until the first school kid shoots a classmate with a gun they downloaded off the internet.

D

docm

Read a paper a few days ago that one company is developing 'rapid prototyping' to build tissues and structures without using the collagen scaffolding used in other tissue tech methods. Basically print the tissue, or organ, you want. Working on male rats they've actually created replacement penis parts. They used that because it's an external structure without too many tissue types but more complex than the ears etc. they did previously.

And get ready for this one: as of last spring DARPA and several universities have gone to Phase 2 with their project to enable regeneration in mammals, including humans. They had already generated the growth buds at amputation sites you see in salamanders etc. in mammals at the end of Phase 1. Sci-fi come true.

M

marcel_leonard

docm":6o1jlwd6 said:
Read a paper a few days ago that one company is developing 'rapid prototyping' to build tissues and structures without using the collagen scaffolding used in other tissue tech methods. Basically print the tissue, or organ, you want. Working on male rats they've actually created replacement penis parts. They used that because it's an external structure without too many tissue types but more complex than the ears etc. they did previously.

And get ready for this one: as of last spring DARPA and several universities have gone to Phase 2 with their project to enable regeneration in mammals, including humans. They had already generated the growth buds at amputation sites you see in salamanders etc. in mammals at the end of Phase 1. Sci-fi come true.

This reminds me that as a dialysis patient I read an article regarding organ regeneration...

I recently saw on 60 Minutes a story on Extracellular Matrix and how your institution doing stem cell research on regenerating organs; thinking that I should give you my contact information as a candidate for some of your on going research.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/ ... 0219.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB7d0qZt ... PL&index=4

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwcT1ViM-hw[/youtube]

N

nec208

docm":kriikykg said:

How can they print tissues or bones with out collagen ? Do they not need collagen ? And what is regeneration in mammals or humans?

D

docm

The collagen that was being used in cellular engineering wasn't the normal inter-cellular net but more of a collagen foam used to support the cello cultures then dissolve. They've moved beyond that.

Regeneration: Imagine your leg gets cut off or amputated. They treat the wound and you grow a new one like a salamander can. Basically, they're on the verge of controlling cell differentiation on a macro level.

N

nec208

One hundred years we were bicycling, walking, riding trains, sailing boats, and getting around on horse/buggy. Today we still pretty much use the exact same technologies w/ the exception of the combustible engine, and look how far that technology took us...

It was the steam engine that allow industrial revolution and the steam engine like steam boats ,locomotive train or prototype steam car not to say steam engine in factories where not that powerful it had too much input and not enough output and where slow and not that good.The invention of combustible engine is better but not that powerful.

Now that our fossil fuel resource is nearly depleted; we are force to take another long hard look at our other options for viable energy source that taking under consideration the following:

Yes but it does NOT mean if we burn that what comes next will be that much more powerful. :) :) Coal ,oil ,gas ,wind power ,solar power , nuclear power so on

In fact nuclear power ,coal ,oil ,gas is more powerful than wind power ,solar power ,tide power ,geothermal power. And hydrogen is a carrier.

The hydrogen space rockets are not that powerful.They say solar sails space ships or nuclear power space ships are more powerfuel.

May be Plasma spaceship or fusion power spaceship may be 2 or 3 times more powerful.

N

nec208

docm":1gl0dfbj said:
The collagen that was being used in cellular engineering wasn't the normal inter-cellular net but more of a collagen foam used to support the cello cultures then dissolve. They've moved beyond that.

Regeneration: Imagine your leg gets cut off or amputated. They treat the wound and you grow a new one like a salamander can. Basically, they're on the verge of controlling cell differentiation on a macro level.

I thought the human body the collagen hold the bone ,skin and tissue together.The collagen is like a glue that hold it together.So are they using the same collagen that the human body or is this a different collagen ?

Also any thing out side the central nervous system the nerves in brain or spine do not divide or regrow.Has the nerves out side of the brain or spine will regrow if the nerves are not damage.That is why show like life in the ER they can hook up your cut off had ,finger , feet ,leg if the nerves are not that damage they will regrow .If too many nerves are damage or missing they cannot do it.

D

docm

Different collagen. In earlier tissue engineering a basic 3D scaffold made using processed animal collagen to which cell cultures were added to build the structure. These scaffolds were, say, in the form of an ear, nose or even a urinary bladder. The cultures grew in this scaffold until they matured and yes, they are implantable - several patients have new bladders that were grown in a lab. This type of scaffold dissolved in time and is replaced by naturally growing collagen. Now they're working on literally 'printing' the structure one 2D layer at a time, including natural collagen tissue, until the full 3D structure is complete. If successful we're talking the ability to manufacture replacement organs or other parts.

Others are working on similar technologies for the production of synthetic meat from cell cultures. Such syn-meat could in principle be tailored to eliminate things like saturated fats etc. in favor of a healthier replacement. It's said not to have the right taste and texture now, but eventually....

Peripheral nerves regrow but slowly. It can take a very long time for them to grow the length of a limb so things are sort-of reconnected, which is why rehab takes so long. Previously it was thought that central nervous system tissue (brain, spinal cord etc.) didn't grow back, but this is no longer the case. Much work is now going into bridging damaged spinal cords and brain tissue, and the results are very promising especially as concerns spinal cord injuries. One development is the use of antibodies to negate the action of NOGO, a family of molecules that prevent nerve fiber regrowth. Also interesting is that olfactory glia cells, normally involved in smell and not present in the cord, can be used at the injury site to promote regeneration of cord nerve fibers.

Things are getting real interesting on all these fronts fronts, but treatments will take a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts