what TIME does the Large Hadron Collider testing begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RonMaverick

what TIME does the Large Hadron Collider testing begin? im in the US Eastern Time.&nbsp; Is ther egoing to be any tv coverage? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>what TIME does the Large Hadron Collider testing begin? im in the US Eastern Time.&nbsp; Is ther egoing to be any tv coverage? <br />Posted by RonMaverick</DIV></p><p>Apparently it was successfully powered up some time this morning.</p><p>http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/10/1253226</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

RonMaverick

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>what TIME does the Large Hadron Collider testing begin? im in the US Eastern Time.&nbsp; Is ther egoing to be any tv coverage? <br /> Posted by RonMaverick</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>oh wow. i was expecting a high pitch noise and bright flash.. like on LOST lol. Nah I'm joking I am well informed on the reasing behind this test.&nbsp; How will we know when it will be completed and their results? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;oh wow. i was expecting a high pitch noise and bright flash.. like on LOST lol. Nah I'm joking I am well informed on the reasing behind this test.&nbsp; How will we know when it will be completed and their results? <br />Posted by RonMaverick</DIV></p><p>Cern has a web site. http://public.web.cern.ch/public/</p><p>I get a weekly science update from the AAAs http://www.sciencemag.org/content/vol321/issue5894/news-summaries.dtl</p><p>But primarily I have subscribed to Science News for many years and they are quite timely in articles about things of this magnitude. http://www.sciencenews.org/</p><p>Or you wait for the network news to report, but I find that they often distort science beyond all recognition.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

centsworth_II

<p><font color="#333399"><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>what TIME does the Large Hadron Collider testing begin?&nbsp; Posted by RonMaverick</DIV></font></p><p>It depends what you mean by testing.&nbsp; The only testing being done now is equipment checks.&nbsp; Right now the beam is only going in one direction.&nbsp; There&nbsp; will be no collisions until a few weeks from now.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

F

freya

<p>I've been reading a few forum posts on the various news services here in Australia. Alot of EO the&nbsp;W talk, but also alot of common sense disscusion, I'd say the (for want of a better term), good/bad ratio is about 50:50, which is a fair result. The amusing thing that stands tall, when you read the comments, stuffed full of anxiety and religious scare mongering, is that the people posting the letter, are using a - wait for it - computer, hooked up into the - oh most ungodly&nbsp;- internet. Hah.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

RonMaverick

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It depends what you mean by testing.&nbsp; The only testing being done now is equipment checks.&nbsp; Right now the beam is only going in one direction.&nbsp; There&nbsp; will be no collisions until a few weeks from now. <br /> Posted by centsworth_II</DIV><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

michaelmozina

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It depends what you mean by testing.&nbsp; The only testing being done now is equipment checks.&nbsp; Right now the beam is only going in one direction.&nbsp; There&nbsp; will be no collisions until a few weeks from now. <br /> Posted by centsworth_II</DIV></p><p>I believe that the first collision test was scheduled for the end of October but I think they're hoping to move up that date a bit based on the results of the early tests.&nbsp;&nbsp; Things seem to be working pretty well so far.&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts