What's the Best 'Star Trek' Movie and Why Is It 'Galaxy Quest'?

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2019
Visit site
Got to say after reading this article; https://www.space.com/galaxy-quest-documentary-20th-anniversary.html

I'm inclined to agree and also disagree. I think what Galaxy Quest is, is a homage to old school cliches of Star Trek, but would I say it's the best Star Trek movie? Not sure. Weirdly I'm a big fan of the reboots (the Simon Pegg versions) and while the OG ones I know get laughed at due to their difficult CGI and tonal issues, I still think Galaxy Quest does sacrifice some of the darker, deeper aspects of Trek for a quick laugh here and there. I do LOVE IT. But it does rely on "member berrys" a lot.

It's always going to be a cult classic - for SURE, and it plays completly into the arms of the fandom it shows, but there's also a missing legacy, missing lore and missing history when you satirise the OG trek and all the ground breaking incredible stuff it did.

Signing off,

Old lady yelling at cloud,

Stevie

P.S Never give up. Never Surrender.

Reactions: rod
As you said, Galaxy Quest was fun because but mainly because it was a really good parody of Star Trek. For that reason it's hard to put it in the same category as Star Trek. But I don't think it's really a cult classic either? It was just a really fun movie. Lots of bad Star Trek movies, especially lately...

Got to say after reading this article; https://www.space.com/galaxy-quest-documentary-20th-anniversary.html

I'm inclined to agree and also disagree. I think what Galaxy Quest is, is a homage to old school cliches of Star Trek, but would I say it's the best Star Trek movie? Not sure. Weirdly I'm a big fan of the reboots (the Simon Pegg versions) and while the OG ones I know get laughed at due to their difficult CGI and tonal issues, I still think Galaxy Quest does sacrifice some of the darker, deeper aspects of Trek for a quick laugh here and there. I do LOVE IT. But it does rely on "member berrys" a lot.

It's always going to be a cult classic - for SURE, and it plays completly into the arms of the fandom it shows, but there's also a missing legacy, missing lore and missing history when you satirise the OG trek and all the ground breaking incredible stuff it did.

Signing off,

Old lady yelling at cloud,

Stevie

P.S Never give up. Never Surrender.

Okay, I enjoyed the original Star Trek series back in mid-late 60s. The series that stands out to me is *The Wrath of Khan*, not only the original on TV but the movie that came later too :)---Rod

Vaz

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
Galaxy Quest was not a bad movie at all, for its homage to earlier science fiction shows (namely star trek), with quite a lot of good, light hearted banter and jokes thrown in (that one crew member who was always paranoid he will be killed because he didn't have a name, for example, akin to star trek red shirts always dying in TOS). Even the special effects were very well done for in it day. I enjoyed it.

As for best star trek movie, everyone argues about Wrath of Khan or Search for Spock as being the best, but I disagree with both and think Undiscovered Country is the better movie. It's the political nature and the very real uncertainty of of the future that, let's be honest, we ALL are weary of, that set that movie up to be great. You see a different side to Starfleet in Undiscovered Country than you did in TOS and the other movies,
where it's not a rose coloured as it was portrayed. And Kirks' raw nature,how he had never been able to get over the death of his son in Search for Spock, finally being put at peace when he realised that life doesn't have to be all about harbouring grudges but of forgiveness of your enemies and working together with said enemies to build a strong future.
Galaxy Quest was a little like that as well, as how it followed the actors 20 something years after they had made the show, and how they dealt with their stardom (Tim Allens' character a basic drunk and the others disposing him for the attention he always draws at comic con events). Alan Rickman's character so utterly bitter he wants nothing to do with the show, yet always dragged back into his roll... that character (the woman?) Who's main job was just to repeat what everyone else said... GQ was the perfect blend of homage, parody and real life.

Last edited:

Latest posts