You went to Mars in 2023

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StarRider1701

Saturnfly":f9ifvms7 said:
It's on the internet, it must be true.

Not only that but it's on SDC! In Unexplained no less. How much truer can it get?

Well it was in Unexplained, but when MW doesn't like a thread, he ain't happy until he moves it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

T

Titorian2044

Hi.

I haven't been here for three weeks, so I just saw your reactions and they are sad. But I don't mind, because I know that it's hard for you to believe in things that haven't happened yet. I'll be here for another 4 years, then I will leave. In the future we live a lot longer than you, around 400 years, so spending 4 years in researching the past is not a big waste.

Most people only use 10.79% of their brain for memory and knowledge. This was discovered in 2358 when 50,000 people unknowingly took part in a survey. Satellites from space chose 50,000 people at random and examined their memory and knowledge functions and found that they only used 10.79% of their brain.

Countries start banding together in 2289 but it takes until 2325 for the whole world to be under one government.

N

nimbus

What happens in four years? You'll be done with your English major and move on to greener pastures?

Make a precise and verifiable prediction of something trivial and imminent, or admit you're a scammer.

Z

ZenGalacticore

nimbus":19j2wr8i said:
What happens in four years? You'll be done with your English major and move on to greener pastures?

Make a precise and verifiable prediction of something trivial and imminent, or admit you're a scammer.

:lol: Why should he have to admit it?

"The countries of the world didn't start 'getting together' until 2289." :lol: Okay. All of sudden, in the course of one year, all the countries start "getting together".

S

StarRider1701

nimbus":f9vei6u1 said:
He'd admit it if his intentions weren't fraudulent.

"fraudulent"??? Where do you get fraud from? I don't recall him asking for donations or compensation in exchange for more specific predictions? This is SDC. Who is he going to defraud here - out of what? Especially without even trying!?!
Besides, didn't he say they don't use money when he comes from? :roll:

I know, he's here to steal MeteorWayne's Brain! In his future there is a new and deadly viro-fungal bacteria that eats brain cells. There is no cure and one by one the worlds geniuses are turning into mindless, drooling vegetables. But they've discovered that MWs brain is immune! They must get his brain back to the future while there is still someone who can remember how to work the time machine... :eek: :shock: :eek:

"Brain and brain! What is brain?" One of my favorite parts of one of my favorite Star Trek episodes. :cool:

N

nimbus

Sometimes I get the impression that people intentionally PRETEND to be right just to feel good about themselves, e.g. finding it outrageous and reprehensible that someone would dare use a word to mean its proper meaning in spite of a vernacular degeneracy where that word's come to commonly mean something else. That they'd dare to articulate the ridiculousness of some kooky assertion, so clearly that both shoes dropped of the feet at once. That's right. The Emperor from the future is butt freakin naked. Don't point the finger at me..
What's your stake here SR1701? To get to the truth regardless who said it or where it's found, or to make an impression?

<<
deceitful: intended to deceive; "deceitful advertising"

In the broadest sense, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual

dishonest; based on fraud or deception; false; phony

fraudulence - a fraudulent or duplicitous representation
fraudulence - the quality of being fraudulent
fraudulence - fraud: something intended to deceive; deliberate trickery intended to gain an advantage
>>

Probably follows the demand to clarify just how this kook "profits" "in my opinion". Well it ain't rocket science.. He gets off the way most loonies get off, by peddling his delusion and/or maximizing the satisfaction of that delusion's rational brownout - stamping out any reasonable light shed upon the inconsistencies and outright BS of his fabrications. He wants people to sing his crazy little tune and ideally have a whole chorus of people giving life to what would be, in any rational mind, one dead beat.

Yeah, he comes from the future and you're all invited. Just not within your lifetime. Right? Cmon, sing it now!

Z

ZenGalacticore

StarRider1701":1dc71vug said:
nimbus":1dc71vug said:
He'd admit it if his intentions weren't fraudulent.

"fraudulent"??? Where do you get fraud from?

"Fraudulent", meaning a "lie". Seriously, StarRider, what's your problem?

I know, he's here to steal MeteorWayne's Brain!

And apparently, you're here to kiss Wayne's ass.

In his future there is a new and deadly viro-fungal bacteria

A what? A 'viro-fungal bacteria'? Three totally separate biological kingdoms there.

M

Mee_n_Mac

Actually SR is closer to the truth IMO. The kid is just being a goof off, not trying to defraud anyone ... with the popular connotations that word engenders. Frankly I think his post belongs in the Unexplained dumpground not here in SF, where the standards for fiction are higher.

M

MeteorWayne

LOL, it was kicked out of the Unexplained, for being too fictional even for there! :D :lol: :p :evil:

N

nimbus

Mee_n_Mac":33fmn7cr said:
Actually SR is closer to the truth IMO. The kid is just being a goof off, not trying to defraud anyone ... with the popular connotations that word engenders. Frankly I think his post belongs in the Unexplained dumpground not here in SF, where the standards for fiction are higher.
Aside the fact that dictionaries agree with me:
There's a common way to call people who're fakes where I come from. Two face, shady people here, over there you can simply call for what they are: frauds. The kicker being that they're so low as to cheat even on something as simple, down to earth, natural, as friendship or basic human honesty. The word's spot on for people who're so false that they don't cave in at moments of real adversity or other pressures.. They cave in under their own deranged pressures where anyone else would see no pressure whatsoever.

In my experience those people ain't right. The best thing to do is to sniff them out ASAP. Give em an inch, they'll take a mile.. You've got the robber barons, who're motivated by these immense payoffs, at the cost of a lot of plotting and effeort. And then you've got the less-than-small-timers who don't merely lie and cheat out of some tic like kleptomania, but have no self-respect and/or consideration for others' trust. How stupid do those people think we are?

Some guy almost literally tries to sell you a bridge, and that's not fraud? Come on now.

M

MeteorWayne

Let's not get hung up on the degree of fabrication here, OK?

Whether there's a financial gain or not is irrelevant to the question of calling science fiction a fact.

N

nimbus

Just thinking out loud. I think the distinction's worth articulating so they know what I mean. I'm not trying to convince anyone, just explaining why I think so.

S

StarRider1701

ZenGalacticore":2ezejdbs said:
I know, he's here to steal MeteorWayne's Brain!

And apparently, you're here to kiss Wayne's ass.

A what? A 'viro-fungal bacteria'? Three totally separate biological kingdoms there.

Hey Zen. I know you got a sense of humor. Turn it on. Duhh! I've dissed MW plenty of times, just here having a little fun. "Three totally seperate biological kingdoms..." Yeah, I know. That's how come there's no cure!

nimbus":2ezejdbs said:
... a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain

Yeah, he comes from the future and you're all invited. Just not within your lifetime. Right? Cmon, sing it now!

And as your own description states, a fraud is more than just a lie. Usually parting someone of something valuable (money) is the intended result of a fraud. You too, nimbus could benefit from the activation of your sense of humor, if you have one. If not, go buy one. Make sure you use all 10.79% of your brain in the process. :lol:

S

StarRider1701

StarRider1701":3tlcg6dx said:
Saturnfly":3tlcg6dx said:
It's on the internet, it must be true.

Not only that but it's on SDC! In Unexplained no less. How much truer can it get?

Well it was in Unexplained, but when MW doesn't like a thread, he ain't happy until he moves it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MeteorWayne":3tlcg6dx said:
LOL, it was kicked out of the Unexplained, for being too fictional even for there! :D :lol: :p :evil:

I tried to tell you not to move it out of Unexplained, MW. Science Fiction has higher standards!!! :cool:

N

nimbus

As if having a sense of humor changes anything about what I said. The guy's a fraud. They're not descriptions nor mine, they're dictionaries' definitions. Split hairs all you want, it's at least a partially correct use of the word. Semantics or sense of humor changes nothing.

M

MeteorWayne

Guys, please, let's chill on the fraud issue. I believe this is the second time I've asked....

S

StarRider1701

Titorian2044":1f60dsmn said:
...50,000 people unknowingly took part in a survey. Satellites from space chose 50,000 people at random and examined their memory and knowledge functions and found that they only used 10.79% of their brain.

So brain scanning technology is so good that brains can be accurately scanned from orbit?!? WOW! When and why did we start putting brain scanners into satellites? And what else does this equipment do to ones brain besides accurately scan usage and mental capacity from such a distance?

I don't know if I'd like having such medical equipment above me being used upon me without my knowledge or consent. Must not have any Civil Rights groups in the future...

Do you all have any Civil Rights in the future? And what else do satellites do to people without their consent?

S

SteveCNC

Perhaps your all taking part in an experiment in psychology without even knowing it . Obviously this person is young , maybe he's gauging reactions for a thesis of some sort , who knows . Simply put he dosen't appear to be a threat of any kind , merely a source of humor so what's the big deal . You don't actually think for one second any of this is real do you ? If so then , well I guess I don't know what to say ;)

A

AmyPond

Wikipedia is so interesting (and slightly dismaying) in that even insignificant individuals floating around the internet merit their own entries... :?

A

a_lost_packet_

space_tycoon":iaoeiu6a said:
Someone's obviously a fan of John Titor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

There have been a number of mysterious individuals that have come and gone on teh intrawebz over the years, each with their own fantastical tales spread over discussion groups. Most seem to raise a huge ruckus and then mysteriously disappear.

PS - Nice find and association, btw. Good detective work. :)

S

space_tycoon

a_lost_packet_":1jukgcj3 said:
space_tycoon":1jukgcj3 said:
Someone's obviously a fan of John Titor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

There have been a number of mysterious individuals that have come and gone on teh intrawebz over the years, each with their own fantastical tales spread over discussion groups. Most seem to raise a huge ruckus and then mysteriously disappear.

PS - Nice find and association, btw. Good detective work. :)

Thank you.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that there was a time, up until a few years ago, when I was spending some time out on the fringe, willing to entertain (if not fully believe) all manner of paranormality, conspiracies and just generally weird stuff. John Titor stuck out as a particularly convincing, original character.

I guess like a lot of people I was lost, and looking for somewhere to anchor. But then I found other interests, such athletics, alcohol, sex... kinda got back in the mainstream.

I still keep an open mind, as someone here suggested. I have certain beliefs that definitely exist outside of so-called "conventional wisdom."

But I have learned there is a fine line between an open mind and an empty head.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Tycoon--Yeah, thanks for researching the "time travel" hoaxer.

But, whoever this Titor/Haber guy is, he has a wonderfully exquisite imagination.

I like how in the wiki article, under "Problems with the Story", it says:

"the government had to keep power by 'Marshall' law." :lol: I guess it was the "Marshall Plan" of law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts