10 things we learned about aliens (or the lack thereof) in 2022

After reading this report, I note here another view posted recently by space.com.

Some discussion and the abiogenesis zone around stars addressed, along with exoplanets very different surface gravity and escape velocities when compared to Earth. Our current rocket programs since 1957 would not work on many of the known exoplanets documented today. Basically, what I see in these various reports by space.com on space faring aliens, we have the group who truly believes they are there and perhaps visit Earth, others require more evidence and the need to show that such alien civilizations are real, just like Galileo had to show that the tiny lights he claimed moved around Jupiter, really moved around Jupiter. The heliocentric astronomers had to demonstrate that Earth really moved around the Sun and not the Sun moving around the Earth. The same standard of science must apply to E.T. phoning home :)

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
People who believe that aliens have visited Earth shouldn't be on a science site. They don't need "more" evidence, since they have none at all to begin with. Let them argue about astrology.

Is this an unscientific attitude? No. Science begins with evidence--observations that can not be explained within current knowledge or theory.

Galileo had those tiny lights he could point to, which made it possible for mathematical calculations and better instruments to eventually prove that he was right about what they were.

Reactions: rod
Dec 14, 2022
Visit site
This legislation could move the discourse on a little (or a lot) in the coming year:

Yes, there is considerable circumstantial/soft evidence of ET visits. There is no hard evidence. Soft evidence consists of personal accounts and photographs. Hard evidence consists of material objects in our custody. A simple analysis by mass spectrometry could conclusively determine the origin. Had an ET left us so little as a fingernail clipping or matchbook cover we could tell exactly from where in the Solar System it originated or we could tell from which nearby star it originated.

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
We all look in the wrong place when we look for signs of UFO's or UAP's. We are looking for hard evidence or towards science for the answers. Simply put you will not find any answers there. What you need instead is common sense and imagination. Look at it this way, lets say humankind went back into the past say 1000 years and we wished to observe, and to also hide from ourselves. It would be pretty easy to achieve. The sociological and technological advancement to achieve star travel is not within our grasp, yet. It is very far in the future. When we achieve it and when we find intelligent lifeforms less advanced. We will think of the days when we humans struggled with all our wars, this factor alone will set off warning bells. A more advanced race will never let a warlike species know they are truly there. They will observe and nothing more. We will never have that smoking gun. I mean we haven't even figured out how to be one as a species, until that day do not look for evidence, odds are good you won't find it.

Yes, it is conceivable that any advance species has not allowed us to detect them but this assumption will never serve as proof they are here. Only hard evidence can do that and only through isotopic analysis.

A visual observation is not proof that a UFO is extraterrestrial, it is only proof that something was undidentified.

Any assumption that an unidentifed object is extraterrestrial, without hard evidence, is a fantasy.

Yes, your observation proves that there was an unidentified object.
Your conclusion that you saw it entering the Earth's atmosphere and your conclusion that it came from the Regulus star system are not supported by hard evidence thus are unsupported. Get us a matchbook cover from the spaceship lobby and we'll do an isotopic analysis. That might provide proof acceptable to scientists.

COLGeek

This legislation could move the discourse on a little (or a lot) in the coming year:
I wouldn't start looking for little green men anytime soon. 👽👽👽

Reactions: billslugg
Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
The earth is proof that the Milky Way galaxy is a habitat for life and intelligent life. Consider the tens of thousands of UFO sightings over the years . Now consider that only one of these sightings needs to be true, the real thing.
I could go on substantiating my argument, but I believe the majority does agree with me. There is intelligent life beyond earth.

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
There is of course the very old argument that we are alone in the universe. It is the belief that humans are at the center of the universe and everything orbits around us. We are the center of everything and nothing else resembling intelligent life could possibly exist elsewhere.

There is of course the very old argument that we are alone in the universe. It is the belief that humans are at the center of the universe and everything orbits around us. We are the center of everything and nothing else resembling intelligent life could possibly exist elsewhere.
Yes, that could be a takeaway from the current exoplanet reports. The belief stated however, was held for centuries in astronomy going back to Claudis Ptolemy. There were very good observations used in the geocentric solar system model to argue their position. It took rigorous observation and testing to change that model in science, thus the heliocentric solar system is confirmed with *heliocentric certainty* :).

I note in the space.com article Trappist-1 e exoplanet is held up as potentially, a very habitable world where life may exist. "Excitingly, one of these planets, TRAPPIST-1e, orbits its parent star in the habitable zone, the region with the right temperatures to allow for the existence of liquid water, a key ingredient for life. As Webb intensely studies the atmosphere of TRAPPIST-1e, often described as the most "potentially habitable" exoplanet ever discovered, it will look for molecules that could have been produced by life."

Unlike the heliocentric solar system and many observations supporting, nothing here at the moment. http://research.iac.es/proyecto/exoatmospheres/view.php?name=TRAPPIST-1 e

This exoplanet could have a temperature 251 K, well below freezing at 273K. At the moment, there is no solid evidence of an atmosphere there. Others reported that Trappist-1 system may have real trouble because of the abiogenesis zone, much closer to the 0.08 solar mass red dwarf where many more flares could destroy life attempting to evolve via abiogenesis using prebiotic molecules created in the abiogenesis zone. Ref, December issue of Sky & Telescope, A Flare for the Dramatic.

Is E.T. phoning home today? Using this standard of science established for the heliocentric solar system - nothing confirms this view of nature at present or even if any type of life exists on Trappist-1 e or other exoplanets documented now. Probability creation stories are one thing, confirmation and testing (e.g., the Galilean moons moving around Jupiter) is another in my view.

I might point out that there is no preferred location in the universe. Every point in the universe has an identical view of the horizon, thus every point in the universe is seen by its observers as being the center of the universe.

If life can arise here it can probably arise elsewhere.

I might point out that there is no preferred location in the universe. Every point in the universe has an identical view of the horizon, thus every point in the universe is seen by its observers as being the center of the universe.

If life can arise here it can probably arise elsewhere.
billslugg, your statement does not affirm that life somewhere else in the universe is intelligent life and a spacefaring civilization that can travel across the stars or throughout the many galaxies seen in astronomy today. It is a repetition of the probability creation story, certainly not science like heliocentric solar system science with observations recorded now for some 400 years or more supporting the paradigm. The problem I see, the probability creation story founded upon abiogenesis at some point must give way to real world confirmation and facts based upon nature. Otherwise, it looks like another religious creation story, my view.

Correct, I am not asserting that intelligent life exists elsewhere. I am saying it is likely.

Since we see it here, it probably happening somewhere else also. In physics, what is not forbidden is mandatory.

Correct, I am not asserting that intelligent life exists elsewhere. I am saying it is likely.

Since we see it here, it probably happening somewhere else also. In physics, what is not forbidden is mandatory.
billslugg, that is interesting. "In physics, what is not forbidden is mandatory". I note here two forums discussions where the origin of physics, constants, and physical law, remains unanswered and the Big Bang does not explain the origin either.

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
We are one of 300 million potentially habitable worlds in our galaxy alone. Thousands of years ago Europeans did not come to the Americas. They did not come here due to the vast distances at the time. We all know how that turned out.
The following is for consideration. Why has Russia never sent men to the moon? China? Private companies? It does not seem to be on the table for anyone. In over 50 years no one has taken this 3 day trip. Every country builds a probe, A rover. A space station. Do same. Please repeat.
Yet Buzz Aldrin is doing fine a man who landed on the moon over 50 years ago. Human spaceflight and exploration for some inexplicable reason grounded to a halt.
Recently the US government were very concerned about some recent UFO sightings. The reason . It was their own personnel who recorded the sightings. In all, 144 sightings were recorded between 2004 and 2020. Their concern had to with the hazards of flight safety, as well as, the security threat from other nations. The detailed report from the Pentagon and US Intelligence was being anticipated by many people. In June of 2021, they released their report. In the end, they concluded there was nothing extra-terrestrial in nature. They delivered a thorough report after a thorough investigation.
It was 9 pages in length...This report had personal significance to me. I remember the first report I handed in to my elementary school teacher when I was a child. You guessed it. It was 9 pages in length.
We sent men to the moon in tin cans over 50 years ago, with a computer technology found today in a child's calculator. Here's an idea how about RELEASING classified documents.. No. Lets sweep it under the rug. It's all a hoax. Keep saying little green men. It is all a conspiracy. Make it all go away. We do not want to tell the truth.

We are one of 300 million potentially habitable worlds in our galaxy alone. Thousands of years ago Europeans did not come to the Americas. They did not come here due to the vast distances at the time. We all know how that turned out.
The following is for consideration. Why has Russia never sent men to the moon? China? Private companies? It does not seem to be on the table for anyone. In over 50 years no one has taken this 3 day trip. Every country builds a probe, A rover. A space station. Do same. Please repeat.
Yet Buzz Aldrin is doing fine a man who landed on the moon over 50 years ago. Human spaceflight and exploration for some inexplicable reason grounded to a halt.
Recently the US government were very concerned about some recent UFO sightings. The reason . It was their own personnel who recorded the sightings. In all, 144 sightings were recorded between 2004 and 2020. Their concern had to with the hazards of flight safety, as well as, the security threat from other nations. The detailed report from the Pentagon and US Intelligence was being anticipated by many people. In June of 2021, they released their report. In the end, they concluded there was nothing extra-terrestrial in nature. They delivered a thorough report after a thorough investigation.
It was 9 pages in length...This report had personal significance to me. I remember the first report I handed in to my elementary school teacher when I was a child. You guessed it. It was 9 pages in length.
We sent men to the moon in tin cans over 50 years ago, with a computer technology found today in a child's calculator. Here's an idea how about RELEASING classified documents.. No. Lets sweep it under the rug. It's all a hoax. Keep saying little green men. It is all a conspiracy. Make it all go away. We do not want to tell the truth.
Dave, I found this interesting in what you said. "We do not want to tell the truth."

My observation. This assumes that there is a standard for determining *the truth*. It seems we are confronted in the society today, with many different truths being proclaimed.

Reactions: COLGeek

COLGeek

Social interest, even of a congressional nature, does not mean there is anything sinister afoot. In the world we live in where going viral and having book deals are so prevalent, an extraterrestrial outing should have occurred many times over. No government could keep such a thing under wraps.

Of note, even taking into account the previous reports of military origin, isn't it odd that we never get clear pictures of any of these phenomenon? We have cameras, many of them high quality, everywhere and none of them can take a clear picture. Must be the cloaking devices.

Seeing something does not make it so, no matter how much public interest might want it to be.

"Why has Russia never sent a man to the Moon?"
- Soviets entered the race three years late
- Rivalries between managers, distributed command
- Lack of coordination - The Moon orbiting program and Moon landing program were separate, not coordinated or better yet, one and the same.
- Lack of money

How was the US able to do it?
- NASA was funded at ten times what it gets today
- The Moon program got 1% of US GDP in highest spending year, 1966
- 400,000 well coordinated people
- Top down command structure
- Strong desire to beat the Russians, vast national security implications

I was 5 years old when Sputnik orbited the Earth, adults were terrified. When Kennedy announced the Moon program, everyone was gung ho. There was tremendous support for Apollo, even through the three deaths Jan 1967.

"billslugg, that is interesting. "In physics, what is not forbidden is mandatory". - rod

Yes, I was intrigued when I first read this, not too long ago. It was in the field of particle interactions. I was studying pair production and came across the conservation laws - mass, charge, energy, momentum, lepton number, boson number. It said that violation of any of those laws meant a reaction was forbidden but it also said that all reactions that obeyed those laws had some chance, however small, of occurring.

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
We can all agree to disagree. We are all blessed to live in a country that allows us the freedom to have different opinions. To answer the important question : Are we alone? It will be with us for a long time. Rational and logical thought is what, is needed, to make a proper assessment.

It would appear that only the United States has difficulty releasing information that is gathered concerning UFO's. Perhaps the public eye will be allowed permission to see it one day, perhaps if we say pretty please, that is, if we ask nicely. Perhaps too, one day a mainstream scientist will study the UFO or UAP phenomenon. It would be nice to have a true scientific opinion about this matter, instead of the status quo: "That is classified answer."

Latest posts