Armageddon and its NASA advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

najab

I suspect some of those 'NASA Advisors' were merely tourguides. Plus, you never know what ended up on the cutting-room floor. All the good stuff may be been deemed too 'boring' for a summer action flick.

C

CalliArcale

Very nice scarf! Did you knit it yourself? I found a pattern on the net once and also knit one. I should get a picture of myself in it and put it on my website too!<br /><br />There's some deep discussion of Dr Who and what options the BBC might have when the Doctor runs out of regenerations over in the Science Fiction forum if you're interested.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

L

lunatic133

Hey well we're watching that movie right now ... I admit the science IS very bad but it's still an enjoyable movie. I can't stand the space station scene however which is why I temporarily left the room :p

N

najab

><i>I admit the science IS very bad but...</i><p>Science?! There's something in there that passes for science?!</p>

L

lunatic133

Yes but the movie isn't SUPPOSED to be a movie about realistic space exploration, it's supposed to be about saving the world. I have to admit the thing that irked me the most about it was that they land on an asteroid and take off from it again using a space shuttle, but the movie people glossed over that bit by explaining that it's a *fancy military experimental shuttle* or something. Right. However let's look at for example Dave's example of the fact that there's no sound in space. That's a valid point however the average layman who was going to spend $7.99 to go see a movie back in the summer of '98 probably doesn't know that, and definitely doesn't care. The movie people had to think about selling tickets far more than scientific accuracy, and let's be honest. If the entire scene on the asteroid had happened without sound, it would have been rather boring and a little bit confusing for stupid movie-goers. Half of the tension is in the constant crashes and explosions, if that were to be taken away the movie would just be ... strange. It would be more realistic, for sure, but Armageddon was MEANT to be a fast paced action movie, not a realistic if slow moving space film a la 2001.

N

najab

Actually, I had no problem with sound on the asteroid - it was outgassing, so there was a thin atmosphere - no problem. What I have a problem with, and this goes for most films not just Armageddon, is when they add "cool, scientific sounding gimmicks" and get them totally wrong.<p>Using Armageddon as an example:<li>Spinning the space station for gravity: why did they have to do it in the first place? The direction of the gravity was wrong. Why spin the station <b>before</b> they docked the Shuttles - making the docking harder? That whole refueling at the 'Russian space station' sequence could have been left out. If you needed Lev for comic relief he could have been a Russian weapons expert.<li>Landing on the asteroid: why come up <b>behind</b> the asteroid through the debris field? They could have flown down from above it. You want the added drama and the loss of one of the teams - how about some more of that crazy outgassing and throwing of rocks?<li>Asteroids don't outgass and have a tail in the first place - well, duh, make it a comet.<li>"We're moving the Hubble" followed by "We've got 18 days!" - Uh, yeah, right. An asteroid...er...comet... er...whatever "the size of Texas" is headed to Earth, it's 18 days out and you need the Hubble to see it. Something's not right here.</li></li></li></li></p>

A

a_lost_packet_

<font color="yellow">najab-"We're moving the Hubble" followed by "We've got 18 days!" - Uh, yeah, right. An asteroid...er...comet... er...whatever "the size of Texas" is headed to Earth, it's 18 days out and you need the Hubble to see it. Something's not right here. </font><br /><br />rofl<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

K

kelle

<font color="yellow">"We're moving the Hubble" followed by "We've got 18 days!" - Uh, yeah, right. An asteroid...er...comet... er...whatever "the size of Texas" is headed to Earth, it's 18 days out and you need the Hubble to see it. Something's not right here.</font><br /><br />Perhaps they were very near-sighted?

L

lunatic133

ROFL yeah I didn't even notice that ...<br />See now this is what will happen to us if we cancel the Hubble. 'Twill be the end of the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts