Canadian fireball...

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newsartist

<p>NBC just (5:30 pm est/ 21 Nov,)&nbsp;ran a video clip taken by a Canadian policeman.It showed a spectacular fireball that appeared to hit the ground, but with the location very far away, it could have been an airburst.</p><p>I don't knowif other netwoks have it, but it is worth looking for it on the NBC clones, if they have an exclusive..</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This is on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_2aX-784sw&feature=related <br />Posted by centsworth_II</DIV><br /><br />There are dozens of report of this fireball in meteorland. It apparently was a doozy.</p><p>I'll post some of them later.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>There are dozens of report of this fireball in meteorland. It apparently was a doozy.I'll post some of them later. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Wow! &nbsp;A doozy, indeed....reminds me of the one I saw one time, the whole night sky lit up, almost as bright as day!&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobble_bob

Wonder if the ISS and/or shuttle crew saw this <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

aphh

<p>I wonder if it might be possible to calculate the size of the meteor plus the entry angle and velocity based on the luminosity seen in the picture.</p><p>It takes a mighty firecracker to illuminate the whole sky like that. Ofcourse the closer the surface the explosion occurs, the less energy is needed for the illumination.&nbsp;</p><p>Let's say the explosion occurred at 10 KM altitude. Just imagine the size of the flare required to brighten the sky from horizon to horizon.&nbsp;</p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I wonder if it might be possible to calculate the size of the meteor plus the entry angle and velocity based on the luminosity seen in the picture.It takes a mighty firecracker to illuminate the whole sky like that. Ofcourse the closer the surface the explosion occurs, the less energy is needed for the illumination.&nbsp; <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />I'm sure that is being done. It takes some time to assimilate all the images and calculate an atmospheric path. There are a number of fireball professionals and skilled amateurs in the Canadian west. When the issue some analysis to the meteor community, I will report it here. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'm sure that is being done. It takes some time to assimilate all the images and calculate an atmospheric path. There are a number of fireball professionals and skilled amateurs in the Canadian west. When the issue some analysis to the meteor community, I will report it here. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Sounds good.</p><p>Lots of fireball activity recently. This makes me wonder, is the world due another Tunguska? </p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Sounds good.Lots of fireball activity recently. This makes me wonder, is the world due another Tunguska? <br />Posted by aphh</DIV></p><p>Hard to say, since the last such event was exactly a hundred years ago. Rather hard to base good statistics one one event in recorded history :)</p><p>Trivia note: In the Movie Ghostbusters, they refer to the Tunguska event but give the wrong year of&nbsp;1909, when it was actually June 30 1908 (local time; June 29th in the US- I remind my twin grandkids of that every year since their birthdays are the 29th and 30th :) )</p><p>Regarding Fireballs, the fireball (meteors brighter than Venus) rate peaks in Spring, with about 3 times the rate in the fall, and about 6PM local time, about 4 times the rate at dawn.</p><p>This years enhanced fireball activity <em>MAY</em> be related to what is called a swarm year for the Taurid meteor shower, though this has yet to be proven since Taurid activity is ongoing. They can provide meteors in the evening when most fireballs occur.</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

R

robnissen

<font size="3">Have there been any estimates of size of the meteorite based on the size of the fireball.&nbsp; Related to that, can both the actual size of the fireball as well as the approximate location be found by using the geometry of multiple video of the fireball from multiple locations?&nbsp; (I am assuming here that there is video of the fireball beyond the police car video that I saw.)</font>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Have there been any estimates of size of the meteorite based on the size of the fireball.&nbsp; Related to that, can both the actual size of the fireball as well as the approximate location be found by using the geometry of multiple video of the fireball from multiple locations?&nbsp; (I am assuming here that there is video of the fireball beyond the police car video that I saw.) <br />Posted by robnissen</DIV><br /><br />As I said, not yet. Do you mean the size of the fireball, or the size of the object that created it? These are two separate issues, and it will take time to analyze the data and come up with some reasonable answers.</p><p>It takes time to ascertain the orientation of the dozen cameras that witnessed the event, their sensitivity to visible and IR light, etc.</p><p>The most useful are of course from calibrated all sky cameras that already know the exact path from their perspective, The cop car image, while spectacular will take dozens of hours of work to drill down to useful scientific data.</p><p>Patience is needed :)</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><br />From meteorobs:</p><p>The "fallout" from this event has been unprecedented, with over 400 eyewitness <br />reports submitted to the Meteorite Impact and Advisory Committee (MIAC) site <br />within the first 24 hours. It was front page news two days in a row, and made <br />the CTV National News. <br /><br />So far I have heard no (legitimate) reports of any finds on the ground. You can <br />be assured the local scientific community is all over this, led by Dr. Alan <br />Hildebrand of the University of Calgary who played a key role in the Tagish Lake <br />meteorite recovery. Preliminary estimates put the object at between 1 and 10 <br />tonnes, an entry speed of about 15 km/s, with an estimated peak magnitude of -20 <br />on the ground directly below the terminal burst.&nbsp; It is possible that hundreds <br />of meteorites may have fallen in&nbsp; a strewn field some 5 to 8 km in extent. <br /><br />Some of us in the amateur community have been alerted of a prospective search <br />party once the preliminary interviews and analysis constrain a possible fall area. <br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p>A tonnes class object entering at cosmic velocity packs a mighty amount of energy, which is released during the re-entry and the curve peaking at the final burst.</p><p>I'm willing to make an informed guess, had the object been any larger, windows would have started to break from the heat/pressure blast.</p><p>Even now, had you been standing directly below the object when the terminal burst occurred, besides seeing it, you might have also felt the effect.&nbsp;</p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>A tonnes class object entering at cosmic velocity packs a mighty amount of energy, which is released during the re-entry and the curve peaking at the final burst.I'm willing to make an informed guess, had the object been any larger, windows would have started to break from the heat/pressure blast.Even now, had you been standing directly below the object when the terminal burst occurred, besides seeing it, you might have also felt the effect.&nbsp; <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />Without any definitive knowledge of the path, and the detonation height above the ground, that is pure speculation. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

W

why06

Scary as hell! And beautiful! Its umm... sublime. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Without any definitive knowledge of the path, and the detonation height above the ground, that is pure speculation. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>What do you mean by "detonation height above the ground" ?&nbsp; Specifically is there some sort of terminal release of energy ?&nbsp; If so, can you describe what&nbsp; happens and perhaps why ?<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

<font size="2">It looks like this was no Berringer Crater event, Thank God, but this puppy looked so big, some of it had&nbsp;to hit the ground. It is getting rather cold that far north. Is it also possible it blew over water?&nbsp;</font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What do you mean by "detonation height above the ground" ?&nbsp; Specifically is there some sort of terminal release of energy ?&nbsp; If so, can you describe what&nbsp; happens and perhaps why ? <br />Posted by DrRocket</DIV><br /><br />In most cases, eventually the difference in pressure between the front and back of the object exceed the material strength of the asteroid. At that point it shatters and each individual piece becomes it's own meteoroid. This causes the bright terminal flare seen on many bolides as well as acoustic effects, i.e. explosion sounds.</p><p>That's the brief version anyway.</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Without any definitive knowledge of the path, and the detonation height above the ground, that is pure speculation. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Yes, I agree it was speculation from my part. Has anybody reported hearing any sound effect from this event? </p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Yes, I agree it was speculation from my part. Has anybody reported hearing any sound effect from this event? <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />So far, no one other than the one report of the sound before the light...which is clearly impossible from the same event. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

L

lampblack

<p><font size="2">I knew a Canadian fireball one time. She lit up the room whenever she walked in. I'd get her to talk to me, just so I could hear that beautiful "ou" sound.</font></p><p><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I knew a Canadian fireball one time. She lit up the room whenever she walked in. I'd get her to talk to me, just so I could hear that beautiful "ou" sound.&nbsp; <br />Posted by lampblack</DIV><br /><br />IIRC, my Canadian friends brought a bottle of something called Fireball to a meteor conference.</p><p>It was well named!!!!</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

silylene

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081128/sc_nm/us_meteorite_2<br /><h1>Searchers find remains of fireball meteor</h1><div class="bd"><div class="yn-story-content"><p>VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) &ndash; Searchers have found the remains of a 10-ton meteor that produced a dramatic fireball in the skies over the <span class="yshortcuts">Canadian Prairies</span> this month, researchers said on Friday.</p><p>Thousands of meteorite fragments have been found densely strewn over a 20-square-kilometre (8 square mile) area south of the community of <span class="yshortcuts">Lloydminster</span> on the Alberta-Saskatchewan border, according to the <span style="background:nonetransparentscrollrepeat0%0%;cursor:hand;border-bottom:#0066cc1pxdashed" class="yshortcuts">University of Calgary</span>.</p><p>Searchers have been scrambling to find the remains of the meteor since it streaked across the sky in the early evening of <span style="background:nonetransparentscrollrepeat0%0%;cursor:hand;border-bottom:mediumnone" class="yshortcuts">November 20</span>, producing a fire ball that shone brightly enough to be seen over an area 700 km (435 miles) wide.</p></div></div> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font size="1">petet = <font color="#800000"><strong>silylene</strong></font></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1">Please, please give me my handle back !</font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081128/sc_nm/us_meteorite_2Searchers find remains of fireball meteorVANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) &ndash; Searchers have found the remains of a 10-ton meteor that produced a dramatic fireball in the skies over the Canadian Prairies this month, researchers said on Friday.Thousands of meteorite fragments have been found densely strewn over a 20-square-kilometre (8 square mile) area south of the community of Lloydminster on the Alberta-Saskatchewan border, according to the University of Calgary.Searchers have been scrambling to find the remains of the meteor since it streaked across the sky in the early evening of November 20, producing a fire ball that shone brightly enough to be seen over an area 700 km (435 miles) wide. <br /> Posted by petet</DIV></p><p>I say WOW! </p><p>These fireballs keep pouring in. Last night I was driving out in the countryside when I decided to take a look at the dark but clear early evening winter sky.</p><p>As soon as I stepped out of the car and saw the Milky Way shining above, a fireball streaked across the sky and vanished in the horizon.</p><p>Let's hope we'll hear more results about the remains of the Canadian fireball.&nbsp;</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I say WOW! These fireballs keep pouring in. Last night I was driving out in the countryside when I decided to take a look at the dark but clear early evening winter sky.As soon as I stepped out of the car and saw the Milky Way shining above, a fireball streaked across the sky and vanished in the horizon.Let's hope we'll hear more results about the remains of the Canadian fireball.&nbsp; <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />Here's a report from the meteorobs maillist:</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Hello from Marsden, Saskatchewan. I'm delighted to report that I was on hand <br />today as the media horde descended on a farm just south of Lone Rock (!), SK, <br />where several meteorite fragments were found frozen in a slough. It was quite <br />the scene, with some 35 media people meeting at a fast food restaurant in <br />Lloydminster, with some 20 vehicles joining a convoy for a 20-minute drive to <br />the site. Plus a helicopter! <br /><br />These meteorites, recovered by Ellen Milley and Alan Hildebrand of the <br />University of Calgary, have been tentatively identified as ordinary chondrites <br />of Type 5 or 6. Dr. Hildebrand estimates that some thousands of meteorites may <br />have fallen in a strewn field some 3 by 8 km in extent. <br /><br />Later as Frank and I roamed the area hoping to find a meteorite or two that may <br />have fallen on crown land, we encountered another fellow with an astronomy <br />interest who suggested we go to the Marsden Hotel pub about 20 km to the south. <br />Here we saw an extraordinary site -- a 13 kilogram meteorite which had been <br />recovered by an enterprising rock hound. It was a monster, somewhat larger than <br />a human head. My fellow adventurer Frank Florian quickly confirmed it was <br />indeed a meteorite, and somehow Alan Hildebrand caught wind of it and arrived a <br />couple hours later for a look-see. He too immediately confirmed its <br />extraterrestrial origin. Where it was found and who actually owns the thing <br />remains an open question at this point. <br /><br />Needless to say, though, it was a huge hit at the pub where the locals were <br />passing it around and examining it carefully. Given it had already been handled <br />rather excessively, there was no point in passing up the opportunity to pick up <br />and hold this object which is simultaneously one of the newest and one of the <br />oldest rocks on Earth. What a tremendous thrill to say the least. <br /><br />The combined observation of seeing the fireball, observing some of its <br />meteorites _in situ_, and now having touched a large member of the family ranks <br />very high on my Life List.<br /><br />More adventuring tomorrow; I'll write a more detailed report once we return to <br />Edmonton.<br /><br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.