Jul 20, 2022
Visit site
I have a question to ask people that know or understand a lot about the universe and mathematics.

So the question is this: "If the reference point of light doesn't experience time due to time dilation at higher speeds, does this mean that time stops? If time would stop would this mean that everything would be just like a black hole at light speed?
- Black holes are defined as infinite gravity
- Black holes are a singularity similar to that of traveling at light speed.
- Black holes don't experience time due to time dilation this is because of the warp in space and time which can be created through speed or through mass
- If so then traveling billions of light years would happen in no time because you are now at a speed equal to light which doesn't experience time.
- Would this prove that even if we had light-speed travel we couldn't use it, because the second that it happens you wouldn't know where you would end up in the universe or will ever be able to get back? and because you traveled a distance, say trillions of light years, wouldn't everything you knew already be gone?

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
I have a question to ask people that know or understand a lot about the universe and mathematics.

So the question is this: "If the reference point of light doesn't experience time due to time dilation at higher speeds, does this mean that time stops? If time would stop would this mean that everything would be just like a black hole at light speed?
- Black holes are defined as infinite gravity
- Black holes are a singularity similar to that of traveling at light speed.
- Black holes don't experience time due to time dilation this is because of the warp in space and time which can be created through speed or through mass
- If so then traveling billions of light years would happen in no time because you are now at a speed equal to light which doesn't experience time.
- Would this prove that even if we had light-speed travel we couldn't use it, because the second that it happens you wouldn't know where you would end up in the universe or will ever be able to get back? and because you traveled a distance, say trillions of light years, wouldn't everything you knew already be gone?
Hey there, that's an interesting question.

It is true that light doesn't feel time, but, blackholes aren't defined as objects having "infinite gravity", they are defined as objects having infinite density. It's basically mass smashed into... zero spacetime, nothing;I know that makes no sense, but that's the definition of blackhole.

According to Wikipedia:
A black hole is a region of spacetime where gravity is so strong that nothing – no particles or even electromagnetic radiation such as light – can escape from it.

Yes, it's true, nothing can escape from the blackhole if it reaches its Event Horizon. But:

At the centre of a black hole, as described by general relativity, may lie a gravitational singularity, a region where the spacetime curvature becomes infinite. For a non-rotating black hole, this region takes the shape of a single point; for a rotating black hole it is smeared out to form a ring singularity that lies in the plane of rotation. In both cases, the singular region has zero volume. It can also be shown that the singular region contains all the mass of the black hole solution. The singular region can thus be thought of as having infinite density.

Therefore, blackholes are not objects with infinite gravity, as infinite gravity would require infinite mass, which is not possible.

About the other part about travelling at lightspeed, firstly, according to Special Relativity, no object with rest energy can travel at light speed for that would take infinite energy. Only massless particles, like photons and gravitational waves, can travel at lightspeed. But well, theoretically, at the speed of light, time would stop, and for any speed beyond it, time would reverse. It's theoretically possible, but practically impossible.

I hope I was able to answer your question to your satisfaction. :)

Reactions: Catastrophe
Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
Hey there, that's an interesting question.

It is true that light doesn't feel time, but, blackholes aren't defined as objects having "infinite gravity", they are defined as objects having infinite density. It's basically mass smashed into... zero spacetime, nothing;I know that makes no sense, but that's the definition of blackhole.

According to Wikipedia:

Yes, it's true, nothing can escape from the blackhole if it reaches its Event Horizon. But:

Therefore, blackholes are not objects with infinite gravity, as infinite gravity would require infinite mass, which is not possible.

About the other part about travelling at lightspeed, firstly, according to Special Relativity, no object with rest energy can travel at light speed for that would take infinite energy. Only massless particles, like photons and gravitational waves, can travel at lightspeed. But well, theoretically, at the speed of light, time would stop, and for any speed beyond it, time would reverse. It's theoretically possible, but practically impossible.

I hope I was able to answer your question to your satisfaction. :)

Not even close. Just a random jumble of high sounding phrases from astrophysics books.

Latest posts