Hubble Space Telescope – Servicing Mission 4

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bpcooper

<p>NASA TV will provide live coverage at 10am tomorrow as well.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I say let's stick to this topic as the rollout to launch topic and drop the other one. Can we change the subject line? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>NASA TV will provide live coverage at 10am tomorrow as well.&nbsp;I say let's stick to this topic as the rollout to launch topic and drop the other one. Can we change the subject line? <br />Posted by bpcooper</DIV><br /><br />That's why I didn't really like two threads on the mission (actually 3 now) in the first place. Now there will be lots of duplication :(</p><p>While a few of us will stay on topic in each thread, most people will respond to the first one they run across.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

E

emerrill

Looks like rollout was given the final green light to start at 10am. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Looks like rollout was given the final green light to start at 10am. <br />Posted by emerrill</DIV></p><p>The roll out started early. The stack has cleared the VAB High Bay.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The roll out started early. The stack has cleared the VAB High Bay. <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>That VAB High Bay (Bay 3) now belongs to the Constellation program,&nbsp;the&nbsp;Ares 1X mods will start very quickly.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

emerrill

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The roll out started early. The stack has cleared the VAB High Bay. <br /> Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>Yeah. Still waiting for NASA TV to cut in. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>*Looks at Ike tracks, and hopes we aren't undoing this in a week...*http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5day#contentshttp://www.wund.com/tropical/tracking/at200809_model.html &nbsp; <br />Posted by emerrill</DIV><br /><br />Scary... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

SM4_Engineer

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The roll out started early. The stack has cleared the VAB High Bay. <br /> Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV><br />Watching it roll right now with some Hubble people. It is breathtaking (and a long time in the works). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

emerrill

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Danger Will Robinson...Danger&nbsp;Hurricane IKE a Category FOUR storm is headed RIGHT for the Cape. Really.&nbsp;&nbsp;http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5day#contents <br /> Posted by job1207</DIV></p><p>We'll have to wait and see. A week is a lifetime for a hurricane. *crosses fingers* </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Danger Will Robinson...Danger&nbsp;Hurricane IKE a Category FOUR storm is headed RIGHT for the Cape. Really.&nbsp;&nbsp;http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5day#contents <br />Posted by job1207</DIV></p><p>No it is NOT. There is something like a 2% chance of Ike coming directly&nbsp;to KSC. The most likly path takes it to Miami. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

job1207

<p>map eyes&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5day#contents</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>As a sailing captain, I would stay out of the cone. When the storm gets to within 48-72 hours we will know more. It takes a long time to roll in and out. I hope they are sure.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>As you recall if an STS was on the pad in Charlie ( the one that did a lot of damage to the Cape ) it would have been a problem.&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;</p>

J

job1207

see above edit, also, I realize that they considered Ike, but, hey, it is only a couple of days difference.

J

job1207

On further review. You are asking NOAA for predictions 7 days out. The current cone is out five days. Hey, why risk it. It is only a couple of days. Seriously. I would bet that NOAA can't give you better than 20% odds for any location for Ike 7 days from now.

J

job1207

<p>http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/northatlantic/track_early2.png</p><p>Finally, Hanna is coming up the coast. The weather report last night noted that it may rain or not, depending on the track of the hurricane. As you well know, a NS track along a NS barrier ( the Fla coast ) may or may not impact small or large portions of the area.&nbsp; </p><p>So here in DC, we may get rain, or it may be hot, depending, and the storm is just 48 hours away. A difference in one degree will make a big difference </p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>As a weather geek for 50 years, any hurricane forecast 7 days out is just about worthless.</p><p>The important thing is to just pay attention as it develops. The NHC did a very good job with the 5 day forecast on Gustav, for Hanna, not so much.</p><p>If the track at 3 days in advance still points to the Florida east coast, then it's time to take action.</p><p>In fact, Ike ain't lookin' so good right now, the shear seems to be weakening it quite a bit.</p><p>And remember IIRC, Andrew was only a cat 1 hurricane as it crossed the Bahamas, yet was cat 5 by the time it hit Florida.</p><p>They be unpredictable! Especially intensity.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p>The vehicle is headed up the ramp to the surface of Pad A.</p><p>The MLP should be hard down by 1630 hrs&nbsp;or so.</p><p>We should have the vehicle powered up around 2130 hrs.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

SM4_Engineer

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images/weather/plots/storm_09.gifHere are the current models. Note that these are ALL of the models, assembled by the South florida folks, as it says.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by job1207</DIV><br />Those who make roll out decisions are quite aware of the weather forecast. They are also aware of programmatic issues and risks that the uninformed cannot imagine. To repeatedly focus on weather as the only driver of mission scheduling is to ignore the professionalism of mission management. They know what they are doing and there is no need for "us" to pretend we know better. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images/weather/plots/storm_09.gifHere are the current models. Note that these are ALL of the models, assembled by the South florida folks, as it says.&nbsp; <br />Posted by job1207</DIV><br /><br />Yes, and note that several recurve Ike before even reaching the coast. That confirms my point that 7 day forecasts have little value for specific areas. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Those who make roll out decisions are quite aware of the weather forecast. They are also aware of programmatic issues and risks that the uninformed cannot imagine. To repeatedly focus on weather as the only driver of mission scheduling is to ignore the professionalism of mission management. They know what they are doing and there is no need for "us" to pretend we know better. <br />Posted by SM4_Engineer</DIV><br /><br />I agree 100%. They are aware of the weather and will make appropriate decisions as needed. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts