Images of Mars

Page 17 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rlb2

2P149535790EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P149536070EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P149536219EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P147489969EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P147763298EFFL2M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P149712960ESF7L5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

I enlarged your image and here is what I got. The second image I brightened a bit to see<br /> more into the dark spots. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

On the light side. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

091-070904-0334-6-3d-01-OphirChasma_hires<br /><br />From Mars Express. I added contrast and brightened it a bit. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Here is another one. Lots of large root type systems on the cliffs?<br /><br />092-070904-0334-6-3d2-01-OphirChasma_hires <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

False color Sperule with an apparent root.<br /><br />1M149400986E35CYP2956M2M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

T

tom_hobbes

I haven't been keeping track of the debate on the berries and what they are but something occured to me that might be way off or might have already been discussed.<br /><br />Is it possible that they are simply a shower of molten rock thrown up by a meteor strike which have solidified into fairly regular little spheres as they they cool on their passage through the thin atmosphere?<br /><br />Please forgive me if this is too idiotic. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#339966"> I wish I could remember<br /> But my selective memory<br /> Won't let me</font><font size="2" color="#99cc00"> </font><font size="3" color="#339966"><font size="2">- </font></font><font size="1" color="#339966">Mark Oliver Everett</font></p><p> </p> </div>

A

abq_farside

The bottom of Victoria looks like it has the same sand dune like features that Endurance has. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em><font size="1" color="#000080">Don't let who you are keep you from becoming who you want to be!</font></em></p> </div>

C

centsworth_II

<i>"...the berries.... simply a shower of molten rock thrown up by a meteor strike <br />which have solidified into fairly regular little spheres as they they cool...?" </i>-- Tom_Hobbes<br /><br />Back when the berries were first seen by Opportunity, this was one of the theories. <br />It was discarded when examination of the layered, berry-containing, rocks of Eagle crater showed that <br />the berries formed <b>within</b> the rocks rather than falling onto a surface which was then covered. <br />The loose berries are the result of their being released, by weathering, from the rock within <br />which they formed. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tom_hobbes

<font color="yellow">formed within the rocks</font><br /><br />How could that be known. Is it possible that those were older berries from previous ejecta showers, covered over by dust storms, fresher impacts, heavier ejecta coverings etc? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#339966"> I wish I could remember<br /> But my selective memory<br /> Won't let me</font><font size="2" color="#99cc00"> </font><font size="3" color="#339966"><font size="2">- </font></font><font size="1" color="#339966">Mark Oliver Everett</font></p><p> </p> </div>

C

centsworth_II

Here's a timeline of press releases showing the evolution of the concretion theory: <br /><br />From the 2/9/04 press release: <br />"The spheres may have formed when molten rock was sprayed into the air by a volcano or a meteor impact. Or, they may be concretions, or accumulated material, formed by minerals coming out of solution as water diffused through rock, [Squyres] said." <br /><br />From the 3/2/04 press release: <br />"Round particles the size of BBs are embedded in the outcrop. From shape alone, these spherules might be formed from volcanic eruptions, from lofting of molten droplets by a meteor impact, or from accumulation of minerals coming out of solution inside a porous, water-soaked rock. Opportunity's observations that the spherules are not concentrated at particular layers in the outcrop weigh against a volcanic or impact origin, but do not completely rule out those origins." <br /><br />From the 3/18/04 press release images: <br />"The thin layers do not appear to deform around the blueberry, indicating that these geologic features are concretions and not impact spherules or ejected volcanic material called lapilli. Concretions are balls of minerals that form in pre-existing wet sediments." <br /><br />From the 3/18/04 press release: <br />"Scientists had previously deduced that the martian spherules are concretions that grew inside water-soaked deposits. Evidence such as interlocking spherules and random distribution within rocks weighs against alternate possibilities for their origin." <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rlb2

We still don't know enough about the sperules, my conjecture when we first found them were that they look so much like Yellowstone geyser berries, even the color seemed to have matched that were so popular in the 40s. Unfortunately most of them were picked by invading tourist. <br /><br />They did find hematite present in them, other than that I haven't been following the latest updates on them. CentsworthII has just posted some more information on the latest findings.<br /><br />Here are some more images fresh off the presses.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

<font color="yellow">The bottom of Victoria looks like it has the same sand dune like features that Endurance has.<font color="white"> <br /><br /><br />Yes it does. As allready been noted it looks deeper with sharp edges, the dunes looks the same <br />as Endurance but the rest may not be. Victory crater may give them a better recent view of <br />exposed sediment and rocks.<br /><br />2P147855086ESFL5M1</font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P147855491ESFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P149184942EFFL2M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P149184942EFFL2M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P149536452EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>