Interesting Kolchak Night Stalker Timeline

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":1asvausj said:
andrew- Rockford drove a mid-seventies gold Pontiac Trans-Am, IIRC.

He sure did! By the way, Zen, I think all of the shows you listed are on either Hulu or Fancast. I finally watched the entire first season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I'd never seen the black-and-white shows. The one where Nelson has to deal with an underwater alien ship was surprisingly good. It was more of a spy show than silly. That trickled into the second year as well but eventually it became monster-of-the-week.

D

drwayne

There is (to me) a certain parallel in the trajectories of LIS and Voyage. They both started
as one type of series, and got much campier after their first season or so. It may be the
"Batman" effect, or a general Irwin Allen trait.

J

jim48

drwayne":ivc1o9yn said:
There is (to me) a certain parallel in the trajectories of LIS and Voyage. They both started
as one type of series, and got much campier after their first season or so. It may be the

General Irwin Allen trait. Look at all 4 of his shows. Didn't I do an Irwin Allen thread here awhile back?

Z

ZenGalacticore

jim48":33y2vk9k said:
ZenGalacticore":33y2vk9k said:
andrew- Rockford drove a mid-seventies gold Pontiac Trans-Am, IIRC.

He sure did! By the way, Zen, I think all of the shows you listed are on either Hulu or Fancast. I finally watched the entire first season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I'd never seen the black-and-white shows. The one where Nelson has to deal with an underwater alien ship was surprisingly good. It was more of a spy show than silly. That trickled into the second year as well but eventually it became monster-of-the-week.

Jimbo- One of the best episodes of Voyage TT Bottom OT Sea was the one where this humanoid sea monster/alien is on board and being all stealthy and sneaky and killing people. It was the same theme as 'The Thing' or 'Alien'. It scared the hell out of me as a little kid.

Z

ZenGalacticore

drwayne":3l7jnh36 said:

Tis True!! So on ZenTV we'll just show the first seasons of both! :lol: And then we'll show 'Space: 1999' at 3:00 am.

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":iwk93fzx said:
drwayne":iwk93fzx said:

Tis True!! So on ZenTV we'll just show the first seasons of both! :lol: And then we'll show 'Space: 1999' at 3:00 am.

We'll all come over to your place with beer and pretzels and corndogs and have a ZenTV Sci Fi Festival! :D My Halloween Night Fantasy tv schedule would be: 6-:00 p.m. Outer Limits pilot with Cliff Robertson, 7-8:00 p.m. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea with underwater alien ship, 8-9:00 p.m. two Twilight Zones, the one where they captured Satan and "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", 9-10:00 p.m. The Invaders pilot episode, 10-11:00 p.m. The Night Stalker "The Zombie", 11-12:00 a.m. The Night Stalker "The Vampire". Kewel?

Z

ZenGalacticore

Sounds fun Jim. I'll have plenty of authentic NY style pepperoni pizza and buckets of KFC on hand!! Wait until I can afford that SONY 50" LCD Bravia that is so relatively cheap right now due to the recession. Damn I wish I had $10,000 bucks in cold cash right now. Bargains EVERYWHERE ON EVERYTHING!!!!!

Back to Cooljak, I mean Kolchak.

J

jim48

Buckets of KFC? Mmmmmmmmm!!! I forgot to tell you guys: I am holding a CD in my hand; The Night Stalker and Other Classic Thrillers, by Robert Cobert. Includes Dark Shadows, Trilogy of Terror, The Night Strangler. I got it either from Amazon or Barnes&Noble. Not cheap but great for Halloween. I think I even listed it when Blass first posted his What Music Are You Listening To? thread. He must think I'm nuts! ;) Now if only GNP Crescendo could get ahold of the studio recordings from the tv show, as they did with classic Star Trek. The Frenchman Mille' did some interesting jazz stuff, although his Night Stalker theme was actually based on an incidental motif he composed for a movie called The Questor Tapes. Jerry Fielding was the best Night Stalker composer, as his music was played to death. I love his score for "The Werewolf". :shock:

D

drwayne

I have to admit that, as a kid, both the Night Stalker and Strangler movies scared me pretty good.

Then again, I got scared from reading (not seeing) "Night of the Living Dead"

Wayne

J

jim48

drwayne":2e2q6i1p said:
I have to admit that, as a kid, both the Night Stalker and Strangler movies scared me pretty good.

Then again, I got scared from reading (not seeing) "Night of the Living Dead"

Wayne

???????? That was based on something previously written? I thought that was written for the screen. What was it you read?

Z

ZenGalacticore

I second the question. What was it you read Dr.?

I remember reading the 'Alien' book, but it was published after the film. And it was a pretty good 'based on the screenplay by O'Bannon' book. I've never heard of a 'Night of the Living Dead' book. I would love to read it.*

*Got that film in the 'store bought' library, btw. So I guess it could be broadcast on ZenTV. :lol:

D

drwayne

It probably was one of those books made to go with the movie. This is after all a 30-some-odd
year old memory after all. :)

Wayne

D

drwayne

Ironically, I do remember reading it at my gradnmothers house, which was way out in the country,
which gave it an air of the house they laid up in in the book/movie...

T

thebigcat

BTW, Jim...in case you are interested. Pioneer Square has been preserved pretty much as it was since The Night Strangler was filmed due to the whole area being declared an historical landmark. Even though they built and later tore down a domed stadium just south it, it hasn't changed.

D

drwayne

thebigcat":2to0p9ve said:
BTW, Jim...in case you are interested. Pioneer Square has been preserved pretty much as it was since The Night Strangler was filmed due to the whole area being declared an historical landmark. Even though they built and later tore down a domed stadium just south it, it hasn't changed.

Cool! Thanks for the information!

J

jim48

thebigcat":3ol0zorj said:

Going back and looking at The Night Strangler, it's tough to tell how much was filmed inside MGM and how much was filmed underground. The shot of Dr. Malcom and Kolchak on the old elevator was filmed at the famous old Bradbury Hotel in L.A.

D

drwayne

I had assumed that the Pioneer Square stuff was above ground, but one knows what happens
when I assume....

Wayne

T

thebigcat

I am glad that Pioneer Square has stayed the same because everything else has changed since then. I was watching McQ, the John Wayne movie which was filmed on location here at about the same time, a couple of years ago and I didn't recognize most of the locations, and I grew up watching it all change. The only things I recognized were a couple of the obvious things like the old hospital which stood in for the police HQ in the movie (it's on the hill due east of the stadiums south of downtown and Pioneer Square) and the long-gone Hat and Boots gas station in Georgetown, about 3 miles south of downtown.

BTW, it says that the fire was the reason for the Seattle Underground. That's not true. After the fire they just rebuilt and carried on. The real reason for the creation of the underground was the beginning of the city's 40 year long regrading project, evening out the slopes of the hills to make it easier to get around. The first project was turning the bluff at the end of what is now Jackson St into a drivable slope. They cut the top off of it with hydraulic hoses, washing it westwards towards the downtown. The downtown itself was built on tideland filled in with dirt and sawdust from Charles Yesler's mill and you could only flush your toilets at low tide. To meet the hillside coming down from the bluff the level of the streets was raised, higher the farther east one went. The sidewalks weren't raised at first, there were ladders at each street corner and businesses kept their ground floor main entries. Eventually though, the sidewalks were moved to street level, building owners constructed new main entries at that level and the former ground level became basements.

The much of underground was kept open for many years. It wasn't until Prohibition that the Mayor and the City Council had all of the access to the underground sealed off, you can guess why. And it stayed sealed off until Bill Speidel, who is mentioned in the page that drwayne linked, started poking around basements in the late '60s, and opened the area up. Without him Pioneer Square wouldn't be an Historical Area, wouldn't be preserved, The Night Strangler would never have been filmed here because nobody would have known about Underground Seattle and the whole area would likely have been torn down in the great "Urban Renewal".

J

jim48

I'm still trying to get the gal who calls herself "BaronvonBlixberg" to join up here. I found her on YouTube. She's a walking Night Stalker encyclopedia! She's sent me a CD of funky music she used for a Kolchak tribute she did. I'm so glad I was around to see the movies and the tv show when they originally aired on ABC. The movies scared the bejeezus out of me. The early episodes of the show had their moments as well. The one shining constant is McGavin as Kolchak. Like George C. Scott as Patton. Or Shatner as Captain Kirk. Or Rex Harrison as Professor Doolittle. Or Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett. Those actors made the characters their own, simple as that. I would guess that Richard Matheson spent some time in Seattle. Where else would he have gotten the idea for setting the story in the underground?

T

thebigcat

That would be so cool. I hope you succeed.

I saw something a few months back, can't remember what it was now, with McGavin...might have been some sci fi movie. Wait, I just remembered what it was. It was called Zero to Sixty, a horrible movie from 1978 where he was helping a teenage repo "man" played by Denise Nickerson (most famous as Violet in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the girl on the tour who got huge, round and purple.) repossess cars in exchange for her helping him get his car back. Oh, and Joan Collins was in it. :roll: I didn't care, I was only watching it for McGavin. I'm glad I figure that out just now because it's been gnawing at me since I noticed this thread. Don't you hate it when that happens?

J

jim48

thebigcat":3ompx01l said:
That would be so cool. I hope you succeed.

I saw something a few months back, can't remember what it was now, with McGavin...might have been some sci fi movie. Wait, I just remembered what it was. It was called Zero to Sixty, a horrible movie from 1978 where he was helping a teenage repo "man" played by Denise Nickerson (most famous as Violet in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the girl on the tour who got huge, round and purple.) repossess cars in exchange for her helping him get his car back. Oh, and Joan Collins was in it. :roll: I didn't care, I was only watching it for McGavin. I'm glad I figure that out just now because it's been gnawing at me since I noticed this thread. Don't you hate it when that happens?

There must be more Night Stalker fans out here than us! Hello? The show was up against Police Woman on NBC, another freshman show that was a breakout hit, like The Rockford Files. I watched the first four episodes of the new Night Stalker in 2005 until we got slammed by a hurricane that knocked the power out of a third of Florida for a couple of weeks. By the time the power was back on the new Night Stalker had been cancelled.

T

thebigcat

The Night Stalker was lined up against Police Woman in the prime time battle? I did not remember this. What a choice for the pre-DVD television viewers; Kolchak or Pepper.

D

drwayne

Ahhh, 2005. That was dominated by Hurricane Dennis for us. Ouch. Hit us not far from dead center.

I wonder about the time. Was that time, the mid 1970's so different than now that Kolchak doesn't
bridge the ages that well? I wonder if the "X Files" would be as successful today...

Wayne

p.s. I am home, got hammered by the flu or something. I didn't get out of bed most of the day yesterday....

J

jim48

Remembering Carl Kolchak

“If by chance you happened to be in the Windy City between May 28th and June 2nd, you would have had good reason to be terrified, for during this period Chicago was being stalked by a menace so frightening, so fascinating, that it ranks among the great mysteries of all time. It has been the fictional subject of novels, films, plays, even an opera. Now, here are the true facts.”

So went the off-camera narration by “Carl Kolchak” for the September 13th, 1974 premiere episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker entitled “The Ripper”, as in Jack the Ripper. The Jack the Ripper, still very much alive and now stalking Chicago. Intrepid newspaper reporter Kolchak covers the brutal series of murders committed by a maniac with a sword for his boss Tony Vincenzo, who is the managing editor of something called the Independent News Service. The Ripper is possessed of superhuman strength and seems to be indestructible, until cops chase him into an electrified fence. That stops him, but not permanently. It is left to Kolchak, a modern-day Van Helsing, to track the Ripper back to his lair and finish him off.

One week later “The Zombie” aired. Tame by today’s standards, the climax of that episode was a little on the gruesome side and was edited during its summer re-run.

Sometimes an actor gets the part of a lifetime, one that he will always be associated with. He and that character become inseparable. Think Clark Gable as Rhett Butler. Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey. John Wayne as well, John Wayne. George C. Scott as Patton. Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau. Carroll O’Connor as Archie Bunker. Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden. Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock . They are married.

In 1971 veteran tv tough guy actor Darren McGavin was cast as Carl Kolchak in a ninety minute “movie-of-the-week”, a new format that was working quite well for the ABC network. Set in Las Vegas, The Night Stalker told the story of a real vampire terrorizing that city by killing young women, draining every drop of blood from them. City officials quickly put a lid on the story, even after the vampire single handedly defeats a dozen police officers in a night time melee’. Bullets don’t stop him either. Kolchak’s gruff, no-nonsense editor Vincenzo is impressed by the story he has uncovered but is powerless to help him when he is run out of town on a murder charge. You see, Kolchak killed the vampire by pounding a wooden stake into its heart.

The movie aired in January of 1972 and much to the network’s chagrin became the highest rated tv movie that season. They quickly called for a sequel. In January of 1973 the two hour The Night Strangler told the strange story of a bizarre series of murders carried out over eight decades by a demented super killer at least one hundred years old. Kolchak and Vincenzo are re-united but again the story is suppressed and this time both of them are sent packing. The Night Strangler—featuring as the first movie did a jazzy, kitschy score by Robert Cobert--did very well in the ratings. ABC ordered up a third movie, and that’s when the problems began.

Director John Llwellyn Moxey had done a terrific job with The Night Stalker. Producer Dan Curtis directed the Night Strangler but not nearly as effectively as the first one had been. He was determined to direct The Night Killers, from a script by Richard Matheson, who had written good scripts for the first two films, but McGavin wanted Moxey back. Neither of them would budge. ABC, meanwhile, still wanted more Kolchak. At some point Universal television came in with the suggestion of a weekly series. ABC, always badly in need of a hit, quickly agreed, and hastily added Kolchak: The Night Stalker to its fall 1974 schedule.

In “The Vampire”, Kolchak goes to L.A. to investigate a series of murders committed by a female victim of the vampire from the first movie. “The Werewolf”, filmed aboard the Queen Mary, featured a very effective original music score by veteran composer Jerry Fielding, as an ocean liner is terrorized by a maniacal, hairy killer. In “They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be” aliens are responsible for some strange deaths. These early episodes would be among the series’ best, for the show went down-hill fast.• Up against the new hit series Police Woman on NBC, Kolchak was getting clobbered. So much for a sure-fire hit. ABC’s whole Friday night lineup was in bad shape and was quickly sorted out. Kolchak was moved back to eight o’clock against Sanford and Son and Chico and the Man, also on NBC, two Top Ten shows. Brilliant move, huh? And yet the ratings crept up enough to get The Night Stalker through the rest of the season.

The network was not happy with the intensity of some of the early episodes and now in “family hour” ordered the show to lighten up. It was no longer scary and rarely suspenseful. McGavin, who put in long hours on the set and on location, disliked his new producer and disliked the way ABC was handling the show. He also disliked the scripts he was getting. Afraid that the network would pick The Night Stalker up for a second year he asked to be let out of his contract. Programming whiz Fred Silverman, fresh in from CBS and just a year or so away from making ABC number one agreed, cancelling the show with two scripts left un-filmed.•

When Kolchak: The Night Stalker started I was fifteen years old and fell in love with the guy. So did some of my buddies in high school. We could relate to him because he had no respect for authority. We did, but our faith had been badly shaken: Richard Nixon resigned the presidency just a month before. We had followed Watergate with interest. We also knew that the government hadn’t been entirely honest with us about the Vietnam War and suspected that they knew a lot more about UFOs than they were letting on. The Night Stalker played right into those suspicions, although Kolchak rarely sparred with an authority figure higher than a police captain. He never went hunting for monsters. Rather he dug and followed the story where it took him. Of course Vincenzo would never print any of it. The one time he did, in The Night Strangler, the Furies were unleashed upon both of them.

Kolchak himself was something of an anachronism, clad in a white, pin-striped seersucker suit, tennis shoes and a cheap pork pie hat, the ubiquitous cassette recorder and flash camera slung over his shoulder. In a 1974 interview McGavin said that he had Kolchak nailed from day one, that the guy had been fired from a big New York newspaper in the late fifties and he was still wearing the same suit of clothes and still trying to get back to the big time. He thought the vampire story would do it in the first movie but instead he got booted out of town. In the weekly series he seemed to have no such aspirations. We knew next to nothing about him yet he was in almost every scene, and no matter how weak or silly the episode we tuned in anyway because we dug the guy and his “Screw you!” approach to life.

By all standards the Kolchak tv series was a failure, though it quickly developed a loyal cult following. Darren McGavin would enjoy a long career working in tv and films, winning an Emmy award for Murphy Brown, guest starring on the Night Stalker inspired The X: Files and playing “The Old Man” in the wonderful movie A Christmas Story, the part he is probably best remembered for. Hey, this guy was directed by Otto Preminger opposite Frank Sinatra and Kim Novak in 1955’s The Man with the Golden Arm. What a career! To me, though, he’ll always be the indefatigable but all-too-human Carl Kolchak, the down but not out reporter determined to get his story, even if it never gets printed. I can’t help but wonder how many real Kolchaks there have been over time, and what stories of theirs never saw print. Think about that.

--by James Lynch for James Lynch’s Next Halloween Reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.