remastered "Star Trek" episodes

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vogon13

{I also note Trelaine's parents arrived in a spaceship to pickup their kid. What do Qs need with spaceships ??}<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

V

vogon13

{Sorry, interesting topic and I keep thinking of items}<br /><br />The various incarnations of Star Trek have introduced us to a variety of 'Q-ish' entities.<br /><br />The Dowd on Rana 4 had the ability to kill all the Housnak (sp) everywhere instantaneously.<br /><br />No mean feat as to how that might be accomplished, if you think about it. The Dowd also did not have the power to bring them back, or change the time line, however.<br /><br />Charlie X's gaurdians were (IIRC) pretty much confined to the planet where his spaceship crashed, although they were able to track the Enterprise and retrieve Charlie. As I recall, they were not able to restore the human space ship Charlie destroyed, implying they too did not have the ability to influence the timeline.<br /><br />The 'healer' from ST:TNG (sorry, don't recal the episode title)was evolving into something quite powerful, but I don't know if the episode revealed how powerful.<br /><br />Kes (ST: Voyager) 'mutated' or evolved into something with considerable power, but apparently far short of Q-ness.<br /><br />Gary Seven (ST:TOS) represented a race of considerable ability, but they did use technology. Very little was revealed about them.<br /><br />The Organians (ST:TOS and ST:Enterprise) had great powers, but did not appear to me to be anywhere near 'omniscient'.<br /><br />The aliens that set up the Arena (with the Gorn) had considerable power too, but did not exhibit much Q-ness.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

<font color="yellow">{I also note Trelaine's parents arrived in a spaceship to pickup their kid. What do Qs need with spaceships ??}</font><br /><br />Did they ? I just recall two pulsating blobs of light. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

V

vogon13

IIRC, it was a transparent green blob.<br /><br />And besides, Trelaine's parents had obviously not been paying attention to Trelaine that day, they did not know what he was diong and had to apologize to Kirk.<br /><br />Not very omniscient for Qs . . . . <br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

<font color="yellow">Not very omniscient for Qs . . . . </font><br /><br />True but then again Q was tossed out of the Continuum for his mischief. Apparently they weren't tracking his moves (in real time) in order to stop him but only reacted after the fact ... like Trelane's parents. Could they have known what Trelane was doing, as he was doing it, if they had wanted to ? I don't know. Was that ruled out in that episode ?<br /><br /><br />Does that make them Q's .... I don't think so but I don't think Trelane's actions rule it out either. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

V

vogon13

Picard's Q (Delancey ??) does have the ability to set up a'sim' and deny himself the knowledge of the 'sims' outcome prior to the sim concluding.<br /><br />It is unlikely Q 'parents' would deliberately put a child beyond their 'ken'.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

D

drwayne

I remember there being a book that I saw at the store many years ago that referred to Q asking Picard for help dealing with Trelaine.<br /><br />I have gotten my hands on it though...<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

H

hracctsold

Wayne,<br /><br />Edit note: I did not read the foregoing posts before I did this post, but Q was involved with Trelane and it seemed he (Trelane) was about a young teen in emotion at the time of the storyline. Also, I seemed to remember that our friend "Q" was either the father or a very close person to Trelane by the end of the book, but it did not spell it out as I remember it. End of note.<br /><br />Q-Squared was a delight to read. It has about 4 different Enterprise multiverse list of characters that get intermingled into the storyline. Try it. Henry<br /><br />P.S. I have said this before but with the subject line, another book that would be worthy of reading is Q-in-law, and it was a hoot to read as well, if you never have gotten around to it. Deanna's mother gets the "hots" for Q and he is the one who goes running to Picard and asks for help. That was pure delight to read.

D

drwayne

Thanks for the tips.<br /><br />My tastes in ST books are somewhat eccletic, those sound - hmmm - fascinating.<br /><br />Did you read Vendetta by any chancce?<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

H

hracctsold

Was Vendetta a ST book I assume? The title does sound familiar, but I can't place it any further. Was it a nx gen book by chance? Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.