Sci Fi Trivia

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StarRider1701

Re: Best quotes from a Sci-FI Flick

yevaud":3vdkit4v said:
This has potential, so I'm going to split this off into it's own dedicated thread.

Hey, I started a new thread and didn't even know it! Cool, thanks Yev. But you fubared the answer, so no Quatloos for you! :lol:

Yes, combined, several posted got the answer:

1. Amok Time.
2. Spock had just "killed" Kirk.
3. Specifically, he was speaking to Stonn with regards to she who could have been his mate. I've always loved that line because it is the Vulcan way (very classy) of saying "Take her and be damned!"

S

StarRider1701

ZenGalacticore":2nm32l0j said:
Which episode is it where Kirk gets laid? :)

Like lost, I too am bad at episode names. But I'll bet Zen is speaking of the episode where they find a civilization of "Modern" Romans. Kirk is given a slave girl for "one last night as a man" before his scheduled probable death in the arena the next day.

"Please tell me if anything I do is considered torture." She smiles.

"Ummm(gulp) you'll be the first to know!"

Z

ZenGalacticore

StarRider1701":2e5vh3f4 said:
ZenGalacticore":2e5vh3f4 said:
Which episode is it where Kirk gets laid? :)

Like lost, I too am bad at episode names. But I'll bet Zen is speaking of the episode where they find a civilization of "Modern" Romans. Kirk is given a slave girl for "one last night as a man" before his scheduled probable death in the arena the next day.

"Please tell me if anything I do is considered torture." She smiles.

"Ummm(gulp) you'll be the first to know!"

Aha! From my perch at the center of the Galaxy I espy StarRider cruising the arc of the spiral Arm of Pegasus!

No man. I was kidding. "Bread and Circuses" is the episode of which you speak. But Kirk also gets laid in "Elan of Troyus", "Wink of an Eye", "The Enterprise Incident", "The Edge of Forever" (or whatever that episode with the time portal co-starring Joan Collins is called, it escapes me. 'Forever' something).

He also gets laid in the ep about the "Andromedans", can't remember the name of that one either. And many more. And he has Tyre's woman in the one about the Hill People and the Villagers.

Oh yeah! "City on the Edge of Forever". They could've left out the "city" part.

S

StarRider1701

ZenGalacticore":2jmsbcdj said:
No man. I was kidding. "Bread and Circuses" is the episode of which you speak. But Kirk also gets laid in "Elan of Troyus", "Wink of an Eye", "The Enterprise Incident", "The Edge of Forever" (or whatever that episode with the time portal co-starring Joan Collins is called, it escapes me. 'Forever' something).

He also gets laid in the ep about the "Andromedans", can't remember the name of that one either. And many more. And he has Tyre's woman in the one about the Hill People and the Villagers.

Oh yeah! "City on the Edge of Forever". They could've left out the "city" part.

yevaud":2jmsbcdj said:
Did he ever *not* get laid in an episode?

Aahhh, what he said!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now tell me the episode where Kirk did NOT get the girl, McCoy did!

S

StarRider1701

jim48":2bgl95oa said:
Is this a Star Trek or sci-fi trivia thread? Movies and tv shows?

Lets go ahead and open this to all SciFi - TV or Movies.

In the ORIGINAL BattleStar Galactica's 2 hour Premier, Captain Apollo feels bad about a terrible event that occurs in the beginning of the show. Who can tell me what happened and why Apollo thinks he is to blame?

Historical note: I watched that premier on an old black and white, 19 inch TV. That week I went out and purchased a nice, 25' Color set just so I could watch BSG "in Living Color!" :D

B

Boots09

OK, don't know near as much about these as you folks on here for sure. Mainly as I don't watch much TV and...these were a bit before my time. But I do like Star Trek and was asked a question by a friend who is a hugew fan. I did'nt know the answer and not 100% sure he did'nt just make it up...so I'll ask here and see if I get the same.

We all know Vulcans have green blood. Why is it green?

Z

ZenGalacticore

Boots09":va25wydw said:

Because it's copper based, instead of iron based.

B

Boots09

ZenGalacticore":2xlyer44 said:
Boots09":2xlyer44 said:

I guess he did know what he was talking about then :) Guess I should apologize to him for doubting his trekkieness.
Might be some I hav'nt seen but don't recall that, was it actually mentioned in one of the shows?

Z

ZenGalacticore

Boots09":2x5dxko5 said:
ZenGalacticore":2x5dxko5 said:
Boots09":2x5dxko5 said:

I guess he did know what he was talking about then :) Guess I should apologize to him for doubting his trekkieness.
Might be some I hav'nt seen but don't recall that, was it actually mentioned in one of the shows?

Yes. McKoy mentions it on at least two occasions. I can't remember which episodes.

"It's his copper based blood, Jim."

"You green-blooded pointy-eared hobgoblin!" :lol:

S

StarRider1701

ZenGalacticore":25bgv6pt said:
Yes. McKoy mentions it on at least two occasions. I can't remember which episodes.

"It's his copper based blood, Jim."

"You green-blooded pointy-eared hobgoblin!" :lol:

I remember Spock telling someone that the hemoglobin in his blood is based on copper rather than iron, just can't remember who or what ep! Ah, the old brain is going to heck fast!!!

J

jim48

Y'all should read Inside Star Trek, by Robert H. Justman and Herb Solow. Justman was one of the producers and Solow was the Desilu exec who sold the show to NBC. ;)

S

starsinmyeyes44

StarRider1701":38m9ewcm said:
I remember Spock telling someone that the hemoglobin in his blood is based on copper rather than iron, just can't remember who or what ep! Ah, the old brain is going to heck fast!!!

Is it the episode that features the gas creature that feeds on hemoglobin in red blood cells? McCoy says something to the effect that Spock's blood "left a bad taste in its mouth."

Y

yevaud

Of course, it'd be more properly described as Cypro-Globin, from the Latin word cyprium, the root word from where we get Copper (or possibly Cupro-Globin, same root word), as "Heme" implies iron.

/Useless factoid #32,926

J

jim48

yevaud":3pm0nkkn said:
Of course, it'd be more properly described as Cypro-Globin, from the Latin word cyprium, the root word from where we get Copper (or possibly Cupro-Globin, same root word), as "Heme" implies iron. (Edit: on reflection, it would be Cupro-Globin - so Sayeth Cliff)

/Useless factoid #32,926

Didn't you used to play the mailman on Cheers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

H

HRacct

In one of the incarnations of the ST shows, two major characters are arguing when one throws a punch at the other. The one character says something to the order of, "You hit me. Picard never struck me." And the other quips back, "But I'm not Picard." At the time, I really thought that that was truly funny.

Y

yevaud

HRacct":afy1qeq4 said:
In one of the incarnations of the ST shows, two major characters are arguing when one throws a punch at the other. The one character says something to the order of, "You hit me. Picard never struck me." And the other quips back, "But I'm not Picard." At the time, I really thought that that was truly funny.

That was good old truculent Benjamin Sisko. Avery Brooks at his best.

J

jim48

yevaud":3wkoujk7 said:
HRacct":3wkoujk7 said:

That was good old truculent Benjamin Sisko. Avery Brooks at his best.

People look at me funny when I tell them (well, they look at me funny anyway) that Deep Space Nine was my favorite of the "other" Star Trek shows, but not immediately. I watched it irregularly for a while but somewhere around year five it grabbed me and I got hooked. It was a psycho-drama, darker than the other shows.

S

StarRider1701

starsinmyeyes44":17s74exs said:
StarRider1701":17s74exs said:

Is it the episode that features the gas creature that feeds on hemoglobin in red blood cells? McCoy says something to the effect that Spock's blood "left a bad taste in its mouth."

Yes Stars, that's it. Spock saves the life of a young crewman whose vent was jammed open because he threw his coffee cup in frustration at being confined to Quarters. If memory serves, the young crewman was the son of Jim's first Captain after he graduated the academy. The creature was trapped in the vents and they were trying to vent it out into space and off the ship. And yes, Bones did say that when they discovered that the creature had not killed Spock.

S

StarRider1701

StarRider1701":39secoy1 said:
jim48":39secoy1 said:

In the ORIGINAL BattleStar Galactica's 2 hour Premier, Captain Apollo feels bad about a terrible event that occurs in the beginning of the show. Who can tell me what happened and why Apollo thinks he is to blame?

Don't tell me I've stumped the SDC crew this easily?!? Or do y'all only know Star Trek?

J

jim48

StarRider1701":2a5tfjtv said:
StarRider1701":2a5tfjtv said:
jim48":2a5tfjtv said:

Don't tell me I've stumped the SDC crew this easily?!? Or do y'all only know Star Trek?

The two hour premiere of Galactica was all I ever watched of that silly show and thankfully I remember very little of it.

Z

ZenGalacticore

StarRider1701":2jso6ltg said:

I pretty much only know 'Star Trek', and by that I mean the original. I agree with Jim, Battlestar Galactica was pitiful dribble. Awful science-fiction. (And the remake? Jeez. Even worse.) Seemed like there was hardly any science in it at all. Just a blatant "Star Wars" tv rip-off. I watched it as a kid, but it never impressed me. And when I tried to watch it in re-runs as an adult, I couldn't get through 10 minutes of it.

I enjoyed 'Space 1999' as a kid, and can still watch and enjoy some of it today, even though the entire premise is ridiculous. It just has that "British" feel to it, and in the mid-seventies, it was about the only space-adventure show on the air.

IMO, science-fiction is rarely done well. I, like 100s of millions of other people, will always love "Star Trek" with Kirk, Spock, Scotty and the boys. (And all those wonderful gals in the skirts!) But I could care a less about "TNG", "Voyager" and all the other spinoffs and most of the movies.

And I don't want to leave out "Lost in Space", as I enjoyed that as a kid too, and still enjoy the first season. We are, all of us, after all, "lost in space".

M

Mee_n_Mac

StarRider1701":1xi106sa said:
StarRider1701":1xi106sa said:
jim48":1xi106sa said:

Apollo and his younger brother are on a scouting mission and discover Cylons waiting to ambush the fleet. They both try to outrun their persuers to radio the fleet but one Viper is hit and disabled. Apollo has to abandon his brother in order to warn the fleet. Apollo survives, his younger brother does not.

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":wsfu1nbv said:
..What word did the TOS cast and crew use to describe a prop?

I'm still waiting on someone to answer this one. I remember reading about it or seeing a documentary with it mentioned.. but, I don't remember what they called them. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts